Plastic Canadians

5 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

I agree that the monarchy is a bit of a clown-show, but the biggest threat to democracy from a Canadian POV is our state-controlled media.

I agree. Lack of separation of media and state has very bad implications for democracy. If the state controlled media has a strong financial incentive to ensure that certain parties win elections and that other parties lose elections then they have a conflict of interest when it comes to covering elections.

That said, we can advocate both for the abolition of the monarchy as well as support separation of media and state.

Edited by -1=e^ipi
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, -1=e^ipi said:

I don't remember any of this. I'm not that old.

None of the politicians have ever tried to abolish the monarchy, so references to the past seem of little value here. Have a national referendum on abolishing the monarchy. With a majority vote of yes, most of these barriers to abolition would crumble.

LOL

13 hours ago, -1=e^ipi said:

That said, we can advocate both for the abolition of the monarchy as well as support separation of media and state.

I prefer not to talk about abolition of the Monarchy while Queen Elizabeth is alive. I actually have a lot of respect for her.

That's just my own personal opinion though.

Once she's gone I'm all about that conversation.

Since it cannot be changed, you should save your breath.

It is gratifying that Canada does not celebrate Independence Day. It shows we have our priorities in order.

Years ago when I was destined to be Prime Minister, I planned to have military parades with hundreds of tanks, and thousands of soldiers, sailors and airmen. Now I realise I have a bit in common with Kim. When Canada celebrates Thanksgiving day again, give thanks I never became your Dear Leader.

Edited by Queenmandy85

5 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

I prefer not to talk about abolition of the Monarchy while Queen Elizabeth is alive. I actually have a lot of respect for her.

It would be better to abolish things now, before they get worse.

And for all we know, the queen might remain alive for another 100 years. Do we really want to wait that long?

16 hours ago, Boges said:

I don't think people realize how valuable a passport from a developed nation, like Canada, is. 

Not saying it's right, but it's a reality that people will do what they need to do, just for the passport. 

Especially if we're stupid enough to let them - which we are.

On 12/6/2020 at 5:56 PM, Argus said:

If you want to become a citizen in Switzerland you need to immigrate legally and then be a resident for ten years first. In Canada it's three of the last five years. So you can be bouncing back and forth, and do not have to make a commitment to live here permanently. And by the way, we don't keep track of people when they leave. So we'll trust your word.

Which means, particularly with Chinese who simply want the passport as a kind of backup, as a just-in-case escape, that they'll send in the paperwork, show up (we do record when you arrive), and then leave for 'home' again. Three years later, after claiming you were here the whole time, you get your citizenship, can get your passport, and then file it away in your desk drawer 'just in case'.  Companies like Marcus' will help you out with that.

Is this what "citizenship" is?

On 12/8/2020 at 1:43 PM, Queenmandy85 said:

Back to the original topic, adminstrating citizenship has a strong political element.

Preventing citizens from taking employment opportunities abroad would be unpopular. Would you have penalized Canadians such as Michael J. Fox, Alex Trebeck, Joni Mitchell, Senator Ted Cruz, Shania Twain, Peter Jennings, Eric MacCormack, David Frum, Michael Kovrig, Prime Minister MacKenzie King, Wayne Gretzky, Sidney Crosby, Fay Wray, Steve Nash, William (Buffalo Bill) Cody (born in Iowa to Canadian parents and grew up in Ontario), William Shatner (watch his "I am Canadian" rant on you tube), James Doohan, Russell Martin,  Norman Jewison, and, of course, Queen Elizabeth II, for taking employment opportunities outside Canada?

You raise a first good question: Is "citizenship" a question of being able to work?

In Canada, we have "work permits" - foreigners can work in Canada without being, uh, Canadians.  

On 12/9/2020 at 7:35 PM, Boges said:

I don't think people realize how valuable a passport from a developed nation, like Canada, is. 

Not saying it's right, but it's a reality that people will do what they need to do, just for the passport. 

You make the point of my OP so well.

=====

So, next step: What's a person with a Canadian passport?

Don't know if I ever posted this, but seems pertinent information for those considering how easy it is to get into Canada, despite having little to no emotional or even physical connection to this country.

https://np.reddit.com/r/immigration/comments/f6plfd/list_of_western_countries_in_order_of_difficulty/?user_id=339289369831

• 3 weeks later...

What do you think: If that Quebec-referendum 25 years ago had gone just as narrowly the other way as it actually did, mainly a few thousands of votes, would it really have started negotiations on secession and now 25 years later would there be an independent Quebec? 

2 hours ago, -TSS- said:

What do you think: If that Quebec-referendum 25 years ago had gone just as narrowly the other way as it actually did, mainly a few thousands of votes, would it really have started negotiations on secession and now 25 years later would there be an independent Quebec? 

Quebec will never leave . . . . they are Canada's tapeworm.  Would like to see Western Canada (4 Provinces) as a country.  There's nothing about the present day Canada that I like . . . . regionally or politically.  And before anyone tells me to leave . . . . my mothers/my ancestors have been here many thousands of years - fathers/my ancestors . . . couple hundred years.  Canada does not work in its present form.  

On 12/8/2020 at 7:10 PM, -1=e^ipi said:

I agree. Lack of separation of media and state has very bad implications for democracy. If the state controlled media has a strong financial incentive to ensure that certain parties win elections and that other parties lose elections then they have a conflict of interest when it comes to covering elections.

100%.

The conflict of interest doesn't end at elections though, it is packed into every story in the news.

When a terrorist attack with a van is covered as a gun control issue you know that politics in the news is out of control. 

Edited by WestCanMan