New vaccine for Covid.19

kactus

1 minute ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Why would they rather have a Trump admin?  They can't buy off Trump like they can Biden.

I would assume more people having medical insurance would be good for the drug companies.  People who can afford drugs are buying and taking more of them me thinks.

The Democrats have long complained about the profiteering of drug companies. They want to bring in regulation to force them to lower their prices. They've also talked about repealing the Republican bill which requires medicaid to buy its drugs without any of the kind of negotiations insurance companies engage in to lower prices. That's on top of increasing their taxes and reducing protection for drugs which were largely developed with government money.

6 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

You deliberately edited what I said to make a point I never made by failing to include the rest of that sentence.

Ok.

1 hour ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Why would they rather have a Trump admin?  They can't buy off Trump like they can Biden.

Seriously?  :P

But I have to ask, why would you think that?  Now, I'm not disputing that Biden could be bought off, he's a politician after all.  But in what universe do you see him having less integrity than Trump?

38 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Ok.

But I have to ask, why would you think that?  Now, I'm not disputing that Biden could be bought off, he's a politician after all.  But in what universe do you see him having less integrity than Trump?

There are scientists who postulate that there are an infinite number of universes.  I suppose the possibility that one of them could be how you describe there can't be ruled out completely.

2 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

It will be interesting to see the % of Americans who choose to not get the vaccine, i'll bet it will be the highest in the OECD.  I have a feeling cases and deaths in the US may continue long after the vaccine is out because of paranoid stupid people who refuse to get it.  The only thing that will save them are the people who actually get the shot.

Lots of Canadians will also refuse to get the vaccine....some of them can't even get a flu vaccine right now even if they want it.

3 hours ago, dialamah said:

Ok.

It's not about integrity.  First, Trump doesn't need the money.  Second, he doesn't take orders from anyone, and doesn't seem to give a crap what anyone else thinks of his policies.  Third, his policies are often the exact opposite of all the POTUS's before him, Republican or Democrat, as well as the Washington elite in Congress.  Fourth, many people in his own party rallied against him leading up to his nomination and some have remained against him.  Fifth, he hasn't spent a career in Washington owing political favours to every corporation under the sun to advance his political career, nor did he reach the POTUS by doing so.  In fact, he insulted and PO'd much of his party and well-connected fellow candidates in the process.  Trump's a lot of things, but he's no puppet.

You can see all this, for example, in his foreign policy in the middle east.  He certainly hasn't shown any indications that he's been doing favours to enrich the militarily industrial complex or big oil by starting or inflaming wars there.

19 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

It's not about integrity.  First, Trump doesn't need the money. 

You don't know this. For a guy supposedly filthy rich he has fought tooth and nail to hide his finances. We know he owes a lot of money, but we don't really know how much. His sons claimed he got a lot of financing from Russian and other eastern European oligarchs - laundering money in Steve Bannon's parlance. So we really don't know. On top of that he is insanely greedy.

Second, he doesn't take orders from anyone, and doesn't seem to give a crap what anyone else thinks of his policies. 

Demonstrably false. He has suggested things a number of times, only to immediately back away when confronted. Remember his 'you guys are afraid of the NRA. I'm not afraid of them. Then he backed off about a week later. He was all set to sign the Republican budget, then the talking heads of FOX and right wing radio started decrying the lack of money for a wall. He did a 180 and said he wouldn't sign it without money for his wall.

Third, his policies are often the exact opposite of all the POTUS's before him, Republican or Democrat, as well as the Washington elite in Congress. 

If by that you mean they sought stability and he seeks instability, okay.

16 hours ago, Argus said:

You don't know this. For a guy supposedly filthy rich he has fought tooth and nail to hide his finances. We know he owes a lot of money, but we don't really know how much. His sons claimed he got a lot of financing from Russian and other eastern European oligarchs - laundering money in Steve Bannon's parlance. So we really don't know. On top of that he is insanely greedy.

Demonstrably false. He has suggested things a number of times, only to immediately back away when confronted. Remember his 'you guys are afraid of the NRA. I'm not afraid of them. Then he backed off about a week later. He was all set to sign the Republican budget, then the talking heads of FOX and right wing radio started decrying the lack of money for a wall. He did a 180 and said he wouldn't sign it without money for his wall.

If by that you mean they sought stability and he seeks instability, okay.

To add to this his $750 tax return is a final straw. For a man who encourages how to get away with this when he sets a bad example for others.

IMO, the notion of election fraud is an excuse fir Trump to buy him extra time to declare immunity against police accusations of corruptions and his dodgy deals. He needs this time between now to January to sort out the legal matters. 

Back on this topic Trump cannot get credit for the new vaccine as this was a joint effort between pharmaceutical companies of different countries and the trial was tested on a massive scale across multiple of countries.

From what I understood the new vaccine packed into cold storage trucks, those vials will arrive at inoculation sites where they can thaw and be stacked in fridges at 2 to 8 degrees celsius for a maximum five days before going bad. It does seem to present a logistical challenge for the developing countries.

Edited by kactus

13 minutes ago, kactus said:

Back on this topic Trump cannot get credit for the new vaccine as this was a joint effort between pharmaceutical companies of different countries and the trial was tested on a massive scale across multiple of countries.

This is false....President Trump obviously deserves some credit for supporting and funding vaccine development, testing, and manufacturing on a very large scale, including Pfizer, so much so even Canada jumped on board and placed orders.

Further, it is the Trump administration's FDA, CDC, and other regulatory agencies that provide the government framework for actions in the United States.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

This is false....President Trump obviously deserves some credit for supporting and funding vaccine development, testing, and manufacturing on a very large scale, including Pfizer, so much so even Canada jumped on board and placed orders.

Trump's 'warp speed' initiative did not provide funding to Pfizer. Perhaps they refused to kick back enough to Jared to be included.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 7:15 PM, Argus said:

Trump's 'warp speed' initiative did not provide funding to Pfizer. Perhaps they refused to kick back enough to Jared to be included.

Yes it did....

Although the company did strike a deal worth $1.95 billion for the US government to purchase 100 million doses of the vaccine, it emphasized that it received no federal funding for vaccine research and development.

Another Covid drug with 95% success rate announced today by Moderna...Coincidentally the announcement came on Monday. A week after the first drug was announced. A rebuttal for those who claimed the announcement coincided with the US election in favour of president elect Joe Biden...

This is a fantastic news!

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/modernas-covid-19-vaccine-candidate-meets-its-primary-efficacy

• Like 1

Moderna said it had improved the shelf life and stability of its own vaccine, meaning that it can be stored at standard refrigeration temperatures of 2C to 8C for 30 days. It can be stored for six months at -20C for shipping and long-term storage, the company said.

Pfizer charges $20 per dose
AstraZeneca 2 dollars only

I think the price would be a sticking issue for developing countries....

3 hours ago, kactus said:

Moderna said it had improved the shelf life and stability of its own vaccine, meaning that it can be stored at standard refrigeration temperatures of 2C to 8C for 30 days. It can be stored for six months at -20C for shipping and long-term storage, the company said.

Pfizer charges $20 per dose
AstraZeneca 2 dollars only

I think the price would be a sticking issue for developing countries....

The huge improvement from Moderna will be that it can be distributed through normal channels and won't need special freezers. Plus it's even more effective than the Pfizer vaccine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Argus said:

The huge improvement from Moderna will be that it can be distributed through normal channels and won't need special freezers. Plus it's even more effective than the Pfizer vaccine.

Whichever vaccine makes it to market first, I wonder how long it'll be to get populations vaccinated.  Heard on some show this morning that the States, for example, has 330 million people to vaccine and as an example, has only been able to test 121 million in the last 10 months or so.  Could be a while before the vaccine reaches enough people to make life completely normal again.  But at least it's coming.

58 minutes ago, Argus said:

Indeed! It begs the question though whether the efficacy of the new drug means that the contracts will be awarded to Moderna since it has better success rates and distribution channel or each vaccine from theses pharma companies will have different effect depending on the type of person.

We also wouldn’t know the side effects of these vaccines. Those who are less vulnerable in-terms of age or pre-existing conditions may be inclined to take the vaccine if they were offered.

Edited by kactus

2 hours ago, kactus said:

Indeed! It begs the question though whether the efficacy of the new drug means that the contracts will be awarded to Moderna since it has better success rates and distribution channel or each vaccine from theses pharma companies will have different effect depending on the type of person.

We are not at the finish line yet....many viable candidates will be kept in play for efficacy differences, distribution channels, cost, etc.   Operation Warp Speed (for the U.S.) purposely seeks many options.

The research and development of the Moderna vaccine was aided by $955 million in federal funding from the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority. Moderna has also been developing this vaccine alongside the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, which in July told NPR it expects to spend about $410 million on the effort.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/11/16/935239294/modernas-covid-19-vaccine-shines-in-clinical-trial

We also wouldn’t know the side effects of these vaccines. Those who are less vulnerable in-terms of age or pre-existing conditions may be inclined to take the vaccine if they were offered.

Only the usual side effects so far....

Side effects seen for the Moderna vaccine at the interim analysis included pain at the injection site, fatigue and aching muscles and joints. The data safety and monitoring board didn't identify "any significant safety concerns."

On 11/10/2020 at 9:28 AM, dialamah said:

Although, it appears that Trump's regime contributed nada to the development of this vaccine - Germany actually made it happen.

Complete nonsense.  Pfizer signed on for part of Operation Warp Speed.  They recieved 2 billion dollars.  Stop the nonsense just because it's Trump.  You don't have to oppose every little thing just because you hate him.  Get a grip people.  Check your derangement syndrome already.  

On 11/16/2020 at 11:57 AM, Argus said:

Exactly.  Plus I think it's just a one dose vaccination, not the dual dose of Pfizer's.  Hopefully by early spring a significant portion of the population will be vaccinated.