Racism in Canada

Two comments.

First: the map on the first page is wildly wrong.  It shows Japan somewhere in the middle, and I can tell you from what I have learned about Japanese culture, there needs to be a special colour for them WAY more racially discriminating than any other country.   Speak with anyone who survived Japanese occupation in WWII and you will get a clear picture of just HOW they expressed their racism.

Second:  EVERY country and every person is to some extent racist.  To deny so is either to be lying or foolish.   The EXTENT of racism, and how it plays out in daily life is what matters.  One of the most racist people I know (in his beliefs) is also one of the most generous in donating his time and money to less fortunate people - even though he may not agree with their beliefs based on race or background culture.   THAT is what makes Canada the greatest nation to live in on this planet.

BTW: I don't want to take anything away from our good friends to the South who led the charge to eliminate slavery, but just remember where much of the underground railway ended....

Edited by cannuck
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Marocc said:

What is the real reason some Canadians are so racistic and so loud about it?

Power. Greed. Undeserved-Privilege. They are interchangeable in terms of Racism.

Racism is sort of the same as "prejudice" and "hatred" except for how Racism always entails possessing power and then using that power to control scarce resources being delved out according to each resident's Race.

And yes, Japan is an extremely racist country. I went there with some of my negro friends, back in 2017, and it was heartbreaking to witness the racism my negro family had to tolerate that week.

Edited by Tdot

56 minutes ago, Tdot said:

I don't think Canadians would agree with you ---if you go say that in the Jane & Finch area of Toronto, or go to the Scarborough area.

I don't think Canadians view themselves as wildly racist - nothing like what you and Marocc are trying to portray, that's for certain.

Newsflash - Canada is bigger than one or two  neighbourhoods in Ontario.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Right To Left said:

Eliminate the "shining city on a hill" BS and you end up with an empire that was largely built with slave labor on stolen land!

Complete nonsense.  The northern states were the most prosperous and weren't built with slave labour.  Regardless, land was either purchased or conquered.  That's how things were done back then.  You lose a war, you lose land.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Goddess said:

I don't think Canadians view themselves as wildly racist - nothing like what you and Marocc are trying to portray, that's for certain.

Newsflash - Canada is bigger than one or two  neighbourhoods in Ontario.

NEWSFLASH: I merely gave, samples/examples, and I never once said that those are the only areas of Canada being subjugated by our White Racism.  And the fact that you deluded to those 2 areas, gives clue, that you realize Canada is far more racist that you'll admit in here.

39 minutes ago, Shady said:

Complete nonsense.  The northern states were the most prosperous and weren't built with slave labour...

If you do research, you'll be very disappointed about your claim here with respect to negro's labor.  

The old Caucasian-motto up North; Just because you are no longer, enslaved, does not mean you get to taste freedom.

2 minutes ago, Tdot said:

NEWSFLASH: I merely gave, samples/examples, and I never once said that those are the only areas of Canada being subjugated by our White Racism.  And the fact that you deluded to those 2 areas, gives clue, that you realize Canada is far more racist that you'll admit in here.

If you think I secretly believe Canada is wildly racist - you'd be very wrong.

What I DO think - you and Marocc are doing something called "projecting" - you project your own racism onto innocent people.  Because I don't believe either of you are actually concerned about racism. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tdot said:

If you do research, you'll be very disappointed about your claim here with respect to negro's labor.  

The old Caucasian-motto up North; Just because you are no longer, enslaved, does not mean you get to taste freedom.

I have done research.

17 minutes ago, Goddess said:

If you think I secretly believe Canada is wildly racist - you'd be very wrong.

What I DO think - you and Marocc are doing something called "projecting" - you project your own racism onto innocent people.  Because I don't believe either of you are actually concerned about racism. 

Okay, I can respect that.  

Nonetheless your thoughts about me and @Marocc are very, meaningless, in terms of your refusal to embrace Racism's facts about Canada which me nor Marocc caused.  

34 minutes ago, Shady said:

I have done research.

Cool. That means you probably know that the North benefitted from slave labor 1)when cotton was shipped to Europe as a main commodity fueling the expansion of The Industrial Revolution/helping the USA become leader of the free world.  Plus the North was happy 2)within these scenarios   http://www.tracingcenter.org/resources/background/northern-involvement-in-the-slave-trade/ ... https://armchairatlasblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/20/slavery-in-the-northern-united-states-1790-to-1860/

Edited by Tdot

You're not really talking facts though.  You're talking rhetoric and hyberbole, and arguing a straw-man. 

Nobody here said, as far as I can tell, that there's no racism in Canada, either overt or structural.  You'd be a fool to argue that socio-economic factors aren't at play and that the "University Heights" neighborhood isn't in sore need of overdue attention. 

As Shades said, however, you can't just cherry-pick J&F or the DTES as representative samples of Canada.  They're pretty much the worst neighborhoods we have.  

There's plenty of racism in Canada, but I don't think you're going to find many places more tolerant than here. 

19 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

You're not really talking facts though.  You're talking rhetoric and hyberbole, and arguing a straw-man... Nobody here said, as far as I can tell, that there's no racism in Canada,

Please, provide proof that I'm not talking facts. Then show how places like Scarborough or Montreal or Toronto's Jane & Finch areas, are hyperbole or strawman arguments? I welcome your evidence or proofs here ---since you made sure not to provide any within your false accusations here lol.

And please... show where I accused anyone here of saying there's no Racism in Canada.

3 hours ago, Marocc said:

This article unfortunately didn't appear to give reasons for racism, but reasons for why Canada ignores racism.

Part of the reason are such comparisons to the United States, for this and many other issues, because that is how Canada convinces itself that it doesn't have a big problem with racism.    The Canadian identity is partially defined as being "not American", and so it follows that such racism is presumed to be far less, but past and present says otherwise.

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

Part of the reason are such comparisons to the United States, for this and many other issues, because that is how Canada convinces itself that it doesn't have a big problem with racism.    The Canadian identity is partially defined as being "not American", and so it follows that such racism is presumed to be far less, but past and present says otherwise.

Said no one in this threat until now.  Canadians are a real stick in your craw it seems.

10 minutes ago, Tdot said:

Please, provide proof that I'm not talking facts. Then show how places like Scarborough or Montreal or Toronto's Jane & Finch areas, are hyperbole or strawman arguments? I welcome your evidence or proofs here ---since you made sure not to provide any within your false accusations here lol.

And please... show where I accused anyone here of saying there's no Racism in Canada.

Well maybe you can explain what your point is, then?  What are you trying to say about J&F, or neighborhoods like it (or potentially worse - like the DTES)?

It's easy to fling examples of bad neighborhoods out there, but what about them?  What do they prove? How do they compare to other countries?  You can quote Jane and Finch, but then I can quote the svalka in Moscow and show you it's worse...but so what?  

Edited by Moonbox

4 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

It's your racism...own it.    

We do.  Again, no one has said there is NO racism in Canada.  But anyone who is truly concerned about racism, does not START with Canada unless they have an agenda.

That's like the climate emergency people who focus on Canada, while having nothing to say about China.

It's easy to bully Canada on things like climate and racism because we take those accusations to heart and actually do something about them.  Not so easy to bully China - China doesn't give a rip what anyone says about it.

1 minute ago, Goddess said:

We do.  Again, no one has said there is NO racism in Canada.  But anyone who is truly concerned about racism, does not START with Canada unless they have an agenda.

That's like the climate emergency people who focus on Canada, while having nothing to say about China.

Well, this topic area is about Canada.   Others have certainly had no qualms about starting with other nations on a host of issues because of an "agenda".   Canada should not be uncomfortable with such focus, as it only highlights sensitivity and avoidance.

It's easy to bully Canada on things like climate and racism because we take those accusations to heart and actually do something about them.  Not so easy to bully China - China doesn't give a rip what anyone says about it.

China has it's own issues, but again, pointing to other nations does not change anything on the ground in Canada....for racism or climate change.

4 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Well, this topic area is about Canada.   Others have certainly had no qualms about starting with other nations on a host of issues because of an "agenda".   Canada should not be uncomfortable with such focus, as it only highlights sensitivity and avoidance.

China has it's own issues, but again, pointing to other nations does not change anything on the ground in Canada....for racism or climate change.

Yes, I understand your position.  You're here every day slagging Canada, we get it.

The reverse can also be said - focusing on Canada, while letting your own country or other countries off the hook also does nothing for racism or climate change.

It's a bit like a child abuser pointing out someone else who made their kid sit in the corner for a 15-minute time-out.

43 minutes ago, Tdot said:

Cool. That means you probably know that the North benefitted from slave labor 1)when cotton was shipped to Europe as a main commodity fueling the expansion of The Industrial Revolution/helping the USA become leader of the free world.  Plus the North was happy 2)within these scenarios   http://www.tracingcenter.org/resources/background/northern-involvement-in-the-slave-trade/ ... https://armchairatlasblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/20/slavery-in-the-northern-united-states-1790-to-1860/

Lots of places have benefited from slave labour in one way or another.  Canada has, Europe has, South America, Asia, Africa still has slavery and has for hundreds of years.  So what?

Just now, Goddess said:

Yes, I understand your position.  You're here every day slagging Canada, we get it.

The reverse can also be said - focusing on Canada, while letting your own country or other countries off the hook also does nothing for racism or climate change.

It's a bit like a child abuser pointing out someone else who made their kid sit in the corner for a 15-minute time-out.

Members should not dish it out if they can't take it.    I'm not letting any nation off the hook, including my own, but Canada likes to think it is better because that is important to the national narrative and identity.    The U.S. has actually done far better on GHG emissions reductions than Canada, and embraces American racism as a fact in public and private discourse, politics, television, film, books, plays, music, etc.   

Example:    I have noticed that the CBC never permits reader comments on stories and "analysis" about First Nations issues or alleged criminal activity.   Why is that ?

20 hours ago, Right To Left said:

Eliminate the "shining city on a hill" BS and you end up with an empire that was largely built with slave labor on stolen land!

Yeaaaah, that's crap. Sorry. I know the mantra on that but it's long been demonstrated as nonsense. The North actually had to carry the inefficient South with their slave labour. As for the nonsense about stolen land - every country and nation on Earth consists of the descendants of people who killed those who were there before them. Nobody cares about this. Nobody feels guilty about this. Except us. Really, just the four former colonies of the UK. Everyone else takes it for granted. You think the Muslims of Turkey cry over the fact they invaded, murdered and drove off all the Byzantine Christians who lived on that land for thousands of years?

Historian- Gerald Horne,

History is now a highly politicized field filled with ideologues of the far left. And Home is one of them.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1