Racism in Canada

Systemic racism cannot be evidenced through individual actions unless there's a high prevalence of such individual acts or racist policies.  If an organization's policies are anti-racist, as well as its communications, and the vast majority of members are not acting in a racist manner or exhibiting racist attitudes, then it's false to ascribe systemic racism to said organization.   However, when we see a high prevalence of such incidents in certain police forces, it's fair to call that out and try to discern the sources of such attitudes and behaviour, to provide better training, and weed out the bad apples.  Adding to the difficulty is the fact that some neighborhoods do have more crime than others for a host of reasons.  Some neighborhoods have a dominant ethnic makeup.  I think when police share the ethnic background of the community they police and when they bother to get to know the local people's stories and challenges, they're better positioned to address both crime and social problems, because they are more understanding and helping to improve people's lots rather than catching them out and throwing the book at them just because they can.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

16 minutes ago, dialamah said:

I guess if you just ignore the evidence, it'll remain unsubstatantiated.  

You're not posting evidence. You posted google searches. 

When you post proof of something that's disputed, cite a link to a specific site, copy and paste some of the relevant quotes which support your position. It's easy. 

Here's proof of bigotry in Pakistan:

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=tpADX8HsLLux0PEP5q6soAE&q=bigotry+in+Pakistan&oq=bigotry+in+Pakistan&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIGCAAQFhAeOgUIABCxAzoCCAA6CAgAELEDEIMBOggIABAWEAoQHjoICAAQ6gIQjwE6BAgAEAo6CggAELEDEEYQ-QFQqQhY1_MBYLP3AWgTcAB4AIABWYgB3BGSAQIzOJgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXqwAQo&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjBn6G3wrnqAhW7GDQIHWYXCxQQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

So is that proof of the bigotry in Pakistan, or just a google link? 

What about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_discrimination_in_Pakistan

Religious discrimination in Pakistan is a serious issue for the human rights situation in modern-day Pakistan. Hindus, Christians, Sikhs, Shias and Ahmadis among other religious minorities often face discrimination and at times are even subjected to violence. In some cases Christian churches and Ahmadi mosques and the worshippers themselves have been attacked.[1] Khawaja Nazimuddin, the 2nd Prime Minister of Pakistan, stated: "I do not agree that religion is a private affair of the individual nor do I agree that in an Islamic state every citizen has identical rights, no matter what his caste, creed or faith be".[2]

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/event/religious-intolerance-pakistan-and-the-plight-religious-minorities

In recent years, Pakistan—a Sunni Muslim majority country with Shia Muslim, Christian, and Hindu minorities—has been convulsed by sectarian violence. More than 2,000 people have been killed in sectarian attacks since 2008, and last year sectarian killings rose by more than a fifth from 2012.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Searchlight

Pakistani President Yahya Khanat a conference in February 1971 said "Kill three million of them and the rest will eat out of our hands."[14] Prolonged Bengali resistance was not anticipated by the Pakistani military leaders.[15] The main phase of Operation Searchlight ended with the fall of the last major Bengali-held town in mid-May. The operation also precipitated the 1971 Bangladesh genocide, in which 300,000-3,000,000 civilians were killed and roughly 10 million refugees fled to India.[16][17] 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_during_the_Bangladesh_Liberation_War

During the 1971 Bangladesh war for independence, members of the Pakistani military and Razakar raped between 200,000 and 400,000 Bangladeshiwomen and girls in a systematic campaign of genocidal rape.[1][2][3][4] Most of the rape victims of the Pakistani Army and its allies were Hindu women.[5][6] Imams and Muslim religious leaders declared the women "war booty" and supported the rapes.[7][8] The activists and leaders of Islamic parties were also involved in the rapes and abduction of women.[8]

So have I proved that systemic racism in Pakistan is a problem? Is religious bigotry in Pakistan a problem? Is the recent violent past in Pakistan quite relevant right now, compared with the issue of slavery and systemic racism in Canada? If we're gonna post about what's going on in Canada, should we really use the same words that theyre using to describe the situation in Pakistan? I'll admit that our PM used the same terminology, but Trudeau is a grand-standing moron, and that's why the issue of "Canadan racism" is a touchy subject. It's actually inflammatory and divisive. 

Canada is awesome. Anyone who is lucky enough to live in Canada should just be thankful. We have been tackling the issues of racism here for decades, we're well ahead of the curve, and we don't need criticism from any quarter, thanks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dialamah said:

This entire issue is getting clouded by so many different meanings of "systemic-racism" what does this term mean....and what is the criteria for an entire department of RCMP to be declared Systemic racist, and what is the criteria for the entire nation of Canada to be declared a systematic racist nation, .....and what nation out there is NOT systemic racist so we know the bench mark on what to strive for....These are some of the questions that seem to be to difficult for people to answer....  Am i or white people today being judged by acts hundreds of years old, and if so why....why are white people the only ones being judged....when racists come in all sizes, colors, cultures, and religions....

7 hours ago, Shady said:

Pretending that racism in Canada is a significant issue is as disgusting as it gets, and ignores the vast progress that society has made.  All you’re doing is sowing division and victimization for political purposes.  Disgusting as it gets.

I posted a discussion between Glen Loury and John Mcwhorter in the 'as seen on youtube' topic. here are two black guys, one of them 70 years old, so his memory goes back a long way, to when there really was institutional racism. They're both very lucid, thoughtful academics, tenured professors at Brown and Columbia. Both of them dispute that racism today plays a significant role in the lives of black people even in the US. But I doubt anyone on the radical left is going to pay much attention to a couple of black conservatives - probably just call them the 'alt-right' or something.

7 minutes ago, Argus said:

I posted a discussion between Glen Loury and John Mcwhorter in the 'as seen on youtube' topic. here are two black guys, one of them 70 years old, so his memory goes back a long way, to when there really was institutional racism. They're both very lucid, thoughtful academics, tenured professors at Brown and Columbia. Both of them dispute that racism today plays a significant role in the lives of black people even in the US. But I doubt anyone on the radical left is going to pay much attention to a couple of black conservatives - probably just call them the 'alt-right' or something.

Definitely.  It reminded me of Lil’ Wayne who took shit when he said he doesn’t think there’s much racism at all.  “My life was saved by a white cop.”

Edited by Shady