The Coronavirus

2 minutes ago, Boges said:

No, it's fear that people from a country that's 30 times the COVID cases (3 times per capita) will be coming to the country unmonitored. 

The real economic fear isn't the border and trade, it's that the US will collapse because of its polarized political climate and toxic leadership.

How can they come if the border is "closed"....wink ...wink. ?

A U.S. collapse is one of Canada's greatest FEARS, long before COVID.

...because then Canada would be in serious trouble.

I suspect that's a likely outcome. 

They can always go to Cuba and send Trudeau's love to the Castro family.  

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

How can they come if the border is "closed"....wink ...wink. ?

I think we're in agreement that, for now, it should stay that way. 

Though you want it to stay closed for some weird economic reasons. Canadians want it closed because of COVID. 

They can always go to Cuba and send Trudeau's love to the Castro family.  

Or Europe, unlike American tourists. B)

7 minutes ago, Boges said:

I think we're in agreement that, for now, it should stay that way. 

Though you want it to stay closed for some weird economic reasons. Canadians want it closed because of COVID.

But the border is not really closed....there are many loopholes and thousands of crossings each day.

Canada wants it both ways...for political and economic reasons.

Or Europe, unlike American tourists. B)

Not for winter.

4 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

But the border is not really closed....there are many loopholes and thousands of crossings each day.

Canada wants it both ways...for political and economic reasons.

Not across the land? 

I know from a Canadian relative that recently tried to get repatriated from the US, Health Canada follows up on Canadians that need to Quarantine. 

You have to have a good reason to cross the border. Not because you want to go shopping. 

Not for winter.

Still won't be as cold as Canada might. 

1 minute ago, Boges said:

Not across the land? 

I know from a Canadian relative that recently tried to get repatriated from the US, Health Canada follows up on Canadians that need to Quarantine. 

You have to have a good reason to cross the border. Not because you want to go shopping.

Good reason ?    "I am going to Alaska".

Canada has not locked down the border as tight as you want to believe.

Still won't be as cold as Canada might. 

Much colder if they own or lease property in the U.S.

They can still fly....but can't bring their RVs.

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Good reason ?    "I am going to Alaska".

Canada has not locked down the border as tight as you want to believe.

There are no direct flights to Alaska? I'm pretty sure that excuse won't fly on a land border. 

Much colder if they own or lease property in the U.S.

They can still fly....but can't bring their RVs.

You always mock Snowbirds. They provide good economic development to parts of the US that that'll be missed this year. 

Ditto with large parts of Cottage country in Canada. 

Edited by Boges

There are no direct flights to Alaska? I'm pretty sure that excuse won't fly on a land border.

Of course there are direct flights...but Canada still permits land crossings to Alaska.

You always mock Snowbirds. They provide good economic development to parts of the US that that'll be missed this year. 

Ditto with large parts of Cottage country in Canada. 

Too bad...so sad.   Learn to love Canada in the winter.

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Of course there are direct flights...but Canada still permits land crossings to Alaska.

That's a problem. 

Though it hasn't resulted in any significant outbreaks. 

I guess you'd have to be pretty motivated to go to Banff during a Global pandemic. 

Too bad...so sad.   Learn to love Canada in the winter.

It's not about the Snowbirds. They're rich, they can find somewhere else. It's about the economic activity where they choose to winter. I guess you don't care about that. I find that odd. 

Just now, Boges said:

That's a problem. 

Though it hasn't resulted in any significant outbreaks.

None of the outbreaks in Canada are ever significant to you.

Canada's border is closed like a piece of Swiss cheese.    So many sob story exceptions.

It's not about the Snowbirds. They're rich, they can find somewhere else. It's about the economic activity where they choose to winter. I guess you don't care about that. I find that odd. 

I really don't care...same as many Canadians who wish the snowbirds would spend their money in Canada instead.

Seasonal (winter) cross border and extended (six months ?) travel is more of a Canadian mindset and expectation...most Americans don't have to cross an international border to get to warmer climes in winter.  

8 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

None of the outbreaks in Canada are ever significant to you.

Canada's border is closed like a piece of Swiss cheese.    So many sob story exceptions.

Cite some outbreaks that you're referring to? The one instance of a nail salon in Kingston that resulted in less than 20 new cases. 

There will be flare-ups but it's under control. 

9 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I really don't care...same as many Canadians who wish the snowbirds would spend their money in Canada instead.

Seasonal (winter) cross border and extended (six months ?) travel is more of a Canadian mindset and expectation...most Americans don't have to cross an international border to get to warmer climes in winter.  

It's just like how many British people have homes in Spain. 

I know I was looking to spend a fair bit of money in Florida this Summer. That money is going into improving the house now. 

Cite some outbreaks that you're referring to? The one instance of a nail salon in Kingston that resulted in less than 20 new cases. 

There will be flare-ups but it's under control. 

Specific to border crossing....one example:

An outbreak of COVID-19 in the Maritimes on the weekend might have been avoided if Canada Border Services had better communication with the provinces, says P.E.I. Premier Dennis King.

The outbreak, including four out of five new cases on P.E.I. and one in Nova Scotia, started with a man travelling from the U.S. to Canada on a student visa. The man was reportedly planning to study on P.E.I. but was turned away at Confederation Bridge because he did not have pre-approval.

As it turned out, the man did have COVID-19. He spread it to a P.E.I. man he met with in Nova Scotia, and the Island man spread it to three other people back on P.E.I.

2 minutes ago, Boges said:

It's just like how many British people have homes in Spain. 

I know I was looking to spend a fair bit of money in Florida this Summer. That money is going into improving the house now. 

Right....for many of them...winter climate sucks so they want to escape from their country.   The Canadians are even organized into a formal snowbird organization, so important is the annual journey, like birds.

Canada needs the money now more than America does.    But remember Home Depot and Rona are American owned too !

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

That's a big percentage COVID-19 outbreak for PEI...but you never mention those.

Florida !!!!!!!

Because it was identified and contained. 

If you take a look at the Ontario thread, I have a pretty honest assessment on how Ontario has done with COVID-19. 

Edited by Boges

Wow !    Canada to have eye popping debt increase due to Coronavirus impact and government decisions.    Highest unemployemnt spike....

Ottawa to post $343B deficit as spending hits levels not seen since Second World War

Federal debtload will hit $1.2 trillion in 2020-21, the government projects in its fiscal ‘snapshot’

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bill-morneau-fiscal-update-budget-deficit-1.5641864

Because it was identified and contained. 

If you take a look at the Ontario thread, I have a pretty honest assessment on how Ontario has done with COVID-19. 

Meh...Alberta has done better than Quebec or Ontario but is still getting crapped on by the east and BC.

4 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Wow !    Canada to have eye popping debt increase due to Coronavirus impact and government decisions.    Highest unemployemnt spike...

Even with this awful news. The Debt to GDP ratio is only 50%. 

The US has a Debt to GDP ratio of over 100%

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

Yeah...cramming old people four to a room in LTC facilities makes for lots of COVID "density".

It does, not arguments with that. 

I guess we all need to be rich enough to be able to afford to retire in a private room. 

Even with this awful news. The Debt to GDP ratio is only 50%. 

The US has a Debt to GDP ratio of over 100%

Pointing at the U.S. does not lessen the impact on Canada, which has far less capacity to carry the debt.

Canada is the only G7 nation to have its credit rating lowered for COVID impact.