Most Canadians say Canada is Broken

Argus

20 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

A masters.  Thank you for the compliment.  I don’t mean to speak for Dougie.  I’m trying to take his criticism constructively.

It's not criticism, merely speaking the truth of things,  if you are loyal to Confederation, more fool you, but I'm not trying to convert anybody, I simply disavow this fake country la-la-land

• Like 1

Guest ProudConservative
4 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

It's not criticism, merely speaking the truth of things,  if you are loyal to Confederation, more fool you, but I'm not trying to convert anybody, I simply disavow this fake country la-la-land

Do you support Wexit?

Guest ProudConservative
Just now, Dougie93 said:

I support their sentiment, but they don't have the courage of convictions.   Quebec will be the breach, the rest will come apart in the wake.

They're dumb fools if they don't want to separate. I believe Alberta has one of the largest oil reserves in the world. The have tones of minerals in the mountains. Tones of Agriculture to export. Tones of Timber... 

The only reason they don't want to separate is because, they feel so apologetic to Canada. What has Canada ever done for Alberta? Why are they dragging their heels?

Even if we get a conservative next election, you still will have Ottawa bureaucracy.

They won't have to share any wealth, if they seperate.... This should put their families first, and not worry about the poor people in Atlantic Canada.

3 hours ago, ProudConservative said:

They're dumb fools if they don't want to separate. I believe Alberta has one of the largest oil reserves in the world. The have tones of minerals in the mountains. Tones of Agriculture to export. Tones of Timber... 

The only reason they don't want to separate is because, they feel so apologetic to Canada. What has Canada ever done for Alberta? Why are they dragging their heels?

Even if we get a conservative next election, you still will have Ottawa bureaucracy.

They won't have to share any wealth, if they seperate.... This should put their families first, and not worry about the poor people in Atlantic Canada.

Except that if you look at actual net transfers to the have not provinces as well as what Alberta receives in services for what it contributes, the reality is that Ontario receives the least services for what it contributes, Quebec taxes its people the most, and Alberta taxes its people the least. There’s no provincial sales tax in Alberta.  When oil prices are high, Alberta does well and the Rest of Canada benefits.  However, Alberta could end up in a mess when oil prices are low because it hasn’t diversified its economy enough.  The situation could be far worse for Alberta on its own.  Alberta has been a have not province and has received transfer payments.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

Canadian provinces are stronger together than they are apart as any effective team or organism is when it integrates differentiated parts well. Together we are greater than the sum of our parts. When one province is going through transition, the other provinces lend it a hand. When another province is strong it supports its fellow provinces, knowing that some day it can expect the same in return. This is true of any functioning team. Of course teams can be riven by jealousy, or by free riders... I think for the most part Canada has weathered it's serious storms. We are more resilient for it. This latest Wexit storm seems pretty weak by comparison.

Quebec is nothing without canada, they would not survive a yr on thier own, but yet we pandering to them constantly. Alberta could make a go on its own, so we better be careful. To bad trudeau has divided this country, we lose it ,it is all on his shoulders.

2 hours ago, DrYouth said:

Trudeau divided this country?

Which Trudeau?

You can't be seriously blaming Wexit on Trudeau Jr?

Why... because of blackface? lol

Because if his and his party 's obvious disdain for western Canada and open hostility towards its principal industry. He'll move heaven and earth to protect a few thousand jobs in Quebec, including breaking the law and firing cabinet ministers. But when it comes to the oil industry he actually works to encourage more layoffs.

Edited by Argus

4 minutes ago, Argus said:

Because if his and his party 's obvious disdain for western Canada and open hostility towards its principal industry. He'll move heaven and earth to protect a few thousand jobs in Quebec, including breaking the law and firing cabinet ministers. But when it comes to the oil industry he actually works to encourage more layoffs.

The oil industry is on hard times...

I don't see how Trudeau is to blame for this.

He did not engineer all the Climate March hooha.... He didn't sick Greta Thunberg on Alberta...

All of this is not hatched from Trudeau's conspiratorial mind.... although he is happy to benefit from it.

Canada and Alberta could easily end up with someone worse than Trudeau, the way the winds are blowing...

23 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Except that if you look at actual net transfers to the have not provinces as well as what Alberta receives in services for what it contributes, the reality is that Ontario receives the least services for what it contributes, Quebec taxes its people the most, and Alberta taxes its people the least. There’s no provincial sales tax in Alberta.  When oil prices are high, Alberta does well and the Rest of Canada benefits.  However, Alberta could end up in a mess when oil prices are low because it hasn’t diversified its economy enough.  The situation could be far worse for Alberta on its own.  Alberta has been a have not province and has received transfer payments.  

Way  back when he was Minister of something in AB, I was asked by Stockwell Day what I believed was Alberta's largest industry.  Of course, I replied petroleum, to which he suggested I try again - to which I replied Ag.   Turns out, it was manufacturing (oil prices low at the time).  Alberta is a lot more diversified than you might think, and AB/SK would diversify a LOT more if its business investment was coming from within rather than all money from the West going to Eastern banks, insurance and pension to be lent out to real estate developers in Toronto.

The part we don't see about Quebec is not transfer payments, but how the ENTIRE effort of EVERY department in the Federal Government is to divert any and all possible business, foreign, government or domestic to Quebec.  This is something I discussed with a friend who was "Minister of Everything" in the Mulroney gov't, and he was shocked that I was not fully aware of that to begin with.

1 hour ago, DrYouth said:

The oil industry is on hard times...

Only in western Canada. Nowhere else

1 hour ago, DrYouth said:

I don't see how Trudeau is to blame for this.

Trudeau is the living embodiment of all those who have been fighting to destroy the oil industry, who have delayed or blocked pipelines and thus put their industry into recession. He has sided with such people, and imposed growing amounts of red tape to make it harder to develop and export natural resources.

1 hour ago, cannuck said:

The part we don't see about Quebec is not transfer payments, but how the ENTIRE effort of EVERY department in the Federal Government is to divert any and all possible business, foreign, government or domestic to Quebec.  This is something I discussed with a friend who was "Minister of Everything" in the Mulroney gov't, and he was shocked that I was not fully aware of that to begin with.

This has been going on forever. My mother was the admin assistant to a cabinet minister in the Mulroney government and she was really pissed off at all the stuff crossing her desk that was clearly designed to benefit Quebec and no one else.

And no, very few people are aware of it. The media doesn't EVER discuss it because that goes against the narrative, and might provoke anger towards Quebec - which they will never risk.

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

This has been going on forever. My mother was the admin assistant to a cabinet minister in the Mulroney government and she was really pissed off at all the stuff crossing her desk that was clearly designed to benefit Quebec and no one else.

And no, very few people are aware of it. The media doesn't EVER discuss it because that goes against the narrative, and might provoke anger towards Quebec - which they will never risk.

I did a project in the '80s in Morocco, and our partners were a very senior member of the ruling elite, but not royals.  In their actual business, they were asked by the Ministry of Health to solve the issue of getting large, diesel powered ambulances capable of two stretchers and long range at high speed - just like what we had in Canada.  The Chairman (a Canadian educated public health doctor) went to his associates in NS who made ambulances, and all at their combined expense, built a demo model and shipped it to Morocco for evaluation.   It was EXACTLY what they wanted.  However, they went through the official embassy channels to see if any support would come from Canada (we are a well know sucker for this).  In the end, a call for tenders went to Quebec - and ONLY Quebec.  The NS company never got a hint of what was happening.  Ambulances were bought and paid with considerable Canadian taxpayers' money, arrived in Morocco and were absolute POSs.  Morocco Health swore off on anything further from Canada, and some PQ company laughed all of the way to the bank (and you will note no transfer payments were involved, thus no record of favouring PQ).

A very good friend of mine was once ADM of Ec Dev in SK.   He is an engineer with a strong background on the business side.  He worked for years on deals that ALMOST came together and then at the last minute fell apart.  He was at a meeting of Ec Dev people in Montreal, and due to his very French name, and ability to use PQ slang, the fellow next to him assumed he was from Quebec started to discuss several of those failed deals, letting my friend know that they had come to Quebec.  When he asked how this happened, the fellow asked "it's on the list, don't you get the list??"  Turns out that EVERY federal office in Canada would communicate business opportunities to Ottawa, who then prepared a list for distribution only to PQ.  Ever wonder why in later years a lot of provincial and federal offices were merged???

I could relate dozens of stories similar to these.  Yeah, this place is badly broken - has been for a very long time.  As much as I like our biligual/bicultural thing, I have to state the Quebec is the problem, not the solution.

• Like 1

Another example of how Canada is broken comes from our lack of productivity improvement and our deteriorating living standards.

While other parts of the country have seen housing prices soar due to rampant real estate speculation, the reality is that all that activity has done absolutely nothing to improve the plight of the average Canadian. According to IMF data, Canada has experienced a lost decade with our GDP per capita three per cent lower than 2010 levels while our neighbours to the south have experienced a 35 per cent increase over the same period. In particular, there has only been a slight six per cent recovery from our 2015 lows compared to a whopping 50 per cent increase in the U.S. It certainly doesn’t help that outside of housing, Canadian capital growth has averaged only 0.8 per cent since 2015, its weakest run in nearly six decades.

Sadly, our living standards have also taken a hit deteriorating nearly six per cent from 2007 compared to an average two per cent gain in the OECD, as cited in a recent report by the Business Council of British Columbia.

“Canadians have seen the largest deterioration in living standards relative to peer countries over 2007 to 2018, according to OECD data. This is primarily because peer countries have increased their productivity by more than Canada,” the Business Council wrote.

https://calgaryherald.com/investing/alberta-needs-canada-to-ditch-the-complacency-and-take-action-on-the-economy/wcm/aa755818-2fce-4207-a816-b514f512983a

On 11/22/2019 at 4:46 PM, Dougie93 said:

Disagree, Canada is fundamentally broken, it is only America which is propping it up.

The Canadian Handmaid's Tale fantasy is laughable, where America collapses and then Canada becomes the great escape.

No, no, little Canadians, that's not how it would work. if America falls, Canada goes with us, don't kid yourselves.

If America sank into the ocean tomorrow it would be hugely disruptive but we'd very likely survive, don't kid yourself.  The rest of NATO would crank up the military procurement real fast for themselves and each other.

On 11/22/2019 at 2:28 PM, Dougie93 said:

Canada is just like South Africa. 

Canada is a racist apartheid state right down in the bones.

The only difference is that in South Africa, the Africans vastly outnumber the Europeans

Whereas in Canada, the Europeans outnumber the Indians ten to one.

Politics is complicated.  The US had slavery and a civil war and i wouldn't say are united even still.  The Confederate flag still flies in many parts of the south.  The UK has the Scottish and Irish causing unity trouble. Germany, Italy, Spain, yada yada...more unity problems throughout the centuries too.

Not many countries are perfect.  Life and societies are complex, Canada lives on and tries to deal with it.  Few societies are perfect monoliths.  No marriage is without its bumps and bruises.  The sun rises tomorrow.  Canada keeps on truckin'.

12 hours ago, DrYouth said:

Canadian provinces are stronger together than they are apart as any effective team or organism is when it integrates differentiated parts well. Together we are greater than the sum of our parts. When one province is going through transition, the other provinces lend it a hand. When another province is strong it supports its fellow provinces, knowing that some day it can expect the same in return. This is true of any functioning team. Of course teams can be riven by jealousy, or by free riders... I think for the most part Canada has weathered it's serious storms. We are more resilient for it. This latest Wexit storm seems pretty weak by comparison.

The team is not functioning, the whole is much lesser the sum of it's parts. One province goes through transition and other provinces bribe it into reliance on a broken country. When another province is strong it is forced to support it's fellow provinces with completely different interests that conflict with it's own diminishing it's ability to remain strong. The parts would be better off on their own and not forced together in a shotgun marriage.

Edited by Yzermandius19

16 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

If America sank into the ocean tomorrow it would be hugely disruptive but we'd very likely survive, don't kid yourself.  The rest of NATO would crank up the military procurement real fast for themselves and each other.

The rest of NATO probably wouldn't get the chance as Putin would simply roll west. There is nothing in Western Europe to get in his way. The German army is a pale shadow of itself and their air force is mostly on paper.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

The rest of NATO probably wouldn't get the chance as Putin would simply roll west. There is nothing in Western Europe to get in his way. The German army is a pale shadow of itself and their air force is mostly on paper.

France and the UK both have an independant nuclear deterent so he probably wouldn't.

6 minutes ago, Iceni warrior said:

France and the UK both have an independant nuclear deterent so he probably wouldn't.

And I doubt either would use it to protect Ukraine, Poland, the Baltic countries, Hungary, the Czech republic, or even Germany.

Putin has said the greatest catastrophe of the 20th century was the breakup of the Soviet Union - not WW2 or WW1. He'd love to set that right.

4 minutes ago, Argus said:

And I doubt either would use it to protect Ukraine, Poland, the Baltic countries, Hungary, the Czech republic, or even Germany.

Putin has said the greatest catastrophe of the 20th century was the breakup of the Soviet Union - not WW2 or WW1. He'd love to set that right.

Germany was never part of the Soviet Union. Germany would be the red line.

On 11/24/2019 at 11:48 AM, Dougie93 said:

I support their sentiment, but they don't have the courage of convictions.   Quebec will be the breach, the rest will come apart in the wake.

Quebec will never leave Canada. Why would they when they can suck whatever they want out of Canada for free. Our sucky Anglo Ontario/Ottawa liberal and conservative politicians will do anything to keep Quebec in Canada. The leftist liberal and conservative Scheer elite have a lot to lose if Quebec separates from la-la Canada land. They will not be able to steal from the rest of Canada, especially from Alberta, anymore. The liberal people in BC will cry like a bunch of crybabies if that ever happened. If anyone does go first, it will be Alberta. Quebec would be last to want to leave. They have a hell of a lot to lose if Canada ever did break up. Then the English language could then become the major language in Quebec. Hey, you never know, eh? :D

On 11/25/2019 at 10:18 AM, PIK said:

Quebec is nothing without canada, they would not survive a yr on thier own, but yet we pandering to them constantly. Alberta could make a go on its own, so we better be careful. To bad trudeau has divided this country, we lose it ,it is all on his shoulders.

Have you ever noticed that most conventions from other parts of the world, and other big sports or business functions and events always seem to end up in Quebec? Quebec gets way more of it's share of these big money making main events. Why is that? Is it to try and appease Quebec from leaving Canada, and trying to tell them that if you stay in Canada, Ottawa will work on your behalf to have just about all those things mentioned above to go to Quebec, and not anywhere else in Canada. Well, maybe throw one or two in Ontario so they don't start to whine. LoL. 

The Trudeau's have really done a number on the rest of Canada. The only way to fix that problem is for the rest of English Canada to separate from french Quebec. There can be no other option unless the Anglophones in the rest of Canada finally this take back Ottawa from the french that control Ottawa today, and hand it back to the Anglophones of Canada. The rest of Canada must get Quebec out of Ottawa. It is the only solution to saving Canada from the mess that the Trudeau's have done to the rest of English Canada. But will they????? B) 

On 11/25/2019 at 11:21 AM, DrYouth said:

Trudeau divided this country?

Which Trudeau?

You can't be seriously blaming Wexit on Trudeau Jr?

Why... because of blackface? lol

Why not blame Trudeau #2? Trudeau 2 had four years to make Alberta feel a part of Canada, and because he had a majority, he showed Alberta his contempt of Alberta, just like is old man did. Both Trudeau's have stolen hundreds of billions of money from Alberta, and who are totally responsible for the trillions of tax dollars that they have blown on all of their pet peeve liberal/socialist/communist programs and agendas where not one of them as done anything to help keep Canada great. On the contrary, they have made Canada become an azz hole of a country to now live in, and can only get worse in the next four more years. The old Canada is doomed to the trash heap thanks to those two buffoons.

Can you tell me as to just what the Trudeau's have done to try and make Canada great?  I bet that you cannot give me something? 

Blackface was never going to bring down Trudeau #2, and nothing ever will. As we can see today "Teflon Don" Trudeau will never pay for his crimes and scandal shenanigans in Canada. Why? Because it would appear as though some of those Canadian fools out there who voted him back in power want four more years of his crimes and scandals, and keep his plans around to try and continue to destroy our British/European country, and replace it with foreign ones. Trudeau only knows as to how to divide, and never be able to unite anything. Trudeau #2 is a G. Soros boy, and that says it all. :wacko: