Handguns and Assault Rifles

The Federal Liberals’ Bill Blair was doing country-wide consultations on whether handguns should be banned in Canada after last year’s marked increase in gun homicides in Toronto.  Where are we with this?  Outside of hunting weapons, is it reasonable to take the risk of allowing civilians to carry handguns and assault rifles?  If so, what protections should be put in place to prevent the misuse of such weapons and their proliferation?  If we ignore this opportunity to ban them, could we soon reach a point of no return, such that people buy guns to protect themselves from too many bad guys who won’t give them up?  

I think all assault rifles should be banned among civilians and that the restrictions and screening for handgun ownership should be severe.  I’m also comfortable with a ban.  Allowing such weapons on the market to satisfy collectors and target shooters isn’t worth the public safety risk.  I also think that the penalty for illegal gun ownership should be quite harsh and widely publicized before and after a designated national gun amnesty period to hand in guns to police without any questions asked. 

15 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Shrill, over the top, paranoid nonsense.

The totalitarian Canadian police state will bring itself down, rejoice, rejoice in our inalienable rights endowed by the Creator, He is coming like the glory of the morning on the wave,
He is wisdom to the mighty, He is honor to the brave;

3 minutes ago, Shady said:

What's an assault rifle? 

The term is derived from the German "Sturmgewehr"

The characteristics are repetition fire with shortened cartridge to reduce recoil and hi capacity magazine for sustained volumes of fire while conducting an assault on an enemy objective by fire and movement to close with a destroy with maximum speed, violence and aggression by day and night in all climate,  seasons and  terrain.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, scribblet said:

It's pretty hard to get an AR 15 type rifle in Canada.

No it's not. 

Restricted Class FAC is just one extra day of safety training, costs $80, it's not hard to "pass" the course at all,  it's basically just safety precautions for repetition and instruction as to the  all the extra regulations for Restricted Class.

Gun stores are in fact enjoying record sales of Armalite type rifles right now, freedom lovers are getting their AR's now, just in case.

Also bear in mind that there is no difference between the AR's sold in Canada and the AR's sold in the USA.

The only difference in Canada is the magazines, which in Canada have to have pins inserted into them to restrict to five rounds only.

Which honestly is no problemo; double tap, Mozambique Drill, change mags, go on.

Canadian gun laws, like all other laws in Canada, are essentially elitist.

The purpose of Canadian gun control, since its inception in 1885, was to disarm the Indians and give the Mounties a mandate to hunt down and kill Louis Riel.

None the less, these racist apartheid laws, unjust as they may be,  do not actually impede world class elite North German Protestant shooters like me, Orange privilege unchecked,  FTW.

5 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

The term is derived from the German "Sturmgewehr"

The characteristics are repetition fire with shortened cartridge to reduce recoil and hi capacity magazine for sustained volumes of fire while conducting an assault on an enemy objective by fire and movement to close with a destroy with maximum speed, violence and aggression by day and night in all climate,  seasons and  terrain.

What do you mean by repetition fire?  How can a type of magazine change the model type of a rifle?  Is a high capacity magazine in a pistol make it an assault pistol?

2 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

There is a problem.

There are too many strict laws and too many guns who are banned.

It's more fundamental than that, you have no property rights in Canada, so the government can confiscate arbitrarily, could be your guns, could be your house too.

It's not even your elected representatives in Parliament who decide which guns are banned, it's entirely up to the RCMP and there's no rhyme nor reason to what they ban or don't ban,  Canada being an Orwellian police state with a smiling Sunny Ways Big Brother Janus face.

Just now, Shady said:

What do you mean by repetition fire?  How can a type of magazine change the model type of a rifle?  Is a high capacity magazine in a pistol make it an assault pistol?

Repetition is the military term for "semi-automatic", the high capacity magazine is a characteristic of an assault rifle, it doesn't alter the rifle, but without the high capacity magazine it is not optimized for assault.  The characteristics of weapons are a function of the features, to include in the case of an assault rifle, the feature of being able to fit a staggered box high capacity magazine.   A pistol is not suitable for assault because of the lack of range and accuracy, a sidearm is a purely defensive weapon in a militarized context.

10 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

The Federal Liberals’ Bill Blair was doing country-wide consultations on whether handguns should be banned in Canada after last year’s marked increase in gun homicides in Toronto.  Where are we with this?  Outside of hunting weapons, is it reasonable to take the risk of allowing civilians to carry handguns and assault rifles?  If so, what protections should be put in place to prevent the misuse of such weapons and their proliferation?  If we ignore this opportunity to ban them, could we soon reach a point of no return, such that people buy guns to protect themselves from too many bad guys who won’t give them up?  

I think all assault rifles should be banned among civilians and that the restrictions and screening for handgun ownership should be severe.  I’m also comfortable with a ban.  Allowing such weapons on the market to satisfy collectors and target shooters isn’t worth the public safety risk.  I also think that the penalty for illegal gun ownership should be quite harsh and widely publicized before and after a designated national gun amnesty period to hand in guns to police without any questions asked. 

How many of these wpns used in these Toronto killings or for that matter killings across the country are wpns that were legally registered with RCMP used by legal gun owners, or were stolen legal guns. ...Then perhaps you can explain how banning any fire arms will stop these bad guys from these shootings. 

what is next how many stabbings in Canada, should me ban steak knifes, we are already getting rid of plastic knifes so why not 

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Repetition is the military term for "semi-automatic", the high capacity magazine is a characteristic of an assault rifle, it doesn't alter the rifle, but without the high capacity magazine it is not optimized for assault.  The characteristics of weapons are a function of the features, to include in the case of an assault rifle, the feature of being able to fit a staggered box high capacity magazine.   A pistol is not suitable for assault because of the lack of range and accuracy, a sidearm is a purely defensive weapon in a militarized context.

What do you mean by assault?  I don’t get it.  Any loaded weapon can assault someone with the pull of a trigger.  And why would a semi automatic weapon be considered an assault rifle.  Semi automatic is just one discharged round per trigger pull.  That’s literally every gun that exists that isn’t an automatic.

why are most mass shooting done with hand guns then?

Edited by Shady

15 minutes ago, Shady said:

What do you mean by assault?  I don’t get it.  Any loaded weapon can assault someone with the pull of a trigger.  And why would a semi automatic weapon be considered an assault rifle.  Semi automatic is just one discharged round per trigger pull.  That’s literally every gun that exists that isn’t an automatic.

why are most mass shooting done with hand guns then?

In the context of the Armalite Rifle, an assault is to close with and destroy with maximum speed, violence and aggression with high volumes of automatic fire to gain lodgement on the objective.   Not sure why you are under the delusion that all rifles are repetition firing, only automatic rifles are repetition firing, bolt, lever and slide action rifles are not.

A mass shooting is not necessarily an assault, some mass shooters launch into an assault, others fire from static positions, like Charles Whitman from the bell tower.

Edited by Dougie93

Anyhoo, the key advantage of the Armalite Rifle and why it is America's choice for the Well Regulated Militia, is that's it's very easy to use and requires minimum training and experience.

The 12 gauge slide action shotgun is actually a more devastating weapon, and as you can load shells directly into the breach, the "magazine" capacity is however many shells you can carry on your person, the shotgun however is much harder to master, it's a beast, whereas the AR is point and click.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

I wouldn't even see a problem if my neighbor had an AK47 in his house/garage. It's none of my business.  And it's good that the populace has a way to overthrow the government.

This forum is getting ridiculous.  You can’t be Canadian, or if you are you’re an outlier. .  Quebecers are generally more pacifist than even the average Canadian.  I’m so thankful we have more gun control in Canada and I hope we get more of it.  

33 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

This forum is getting ridiculous.  You can’t be Canadian, or if you are you’re an outlier. .  Quebecers are generally more pacifist than even the average Canadian.  I’m so thankful we have more gun control in Canada and I hope we get more of it.  

What drugs are you on?

Do you know Bernier is a Quebecer who got 49% of the votes pour the Conservatives?

55 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

I wouldn't even see a problem if my neighbor had an AK47 in his house/garage. It's none of my business.  And it's good that the populace has a way to overthrow the government.

And don't let anybody tell you there is no right to bear arms in Canada, the English Bill of Rights 1689 stands, you have a right to bear arms within the allowance of the law, that doesn't preclude gun control, but it does preclude an outright prohibition, which is why the Liberals don't actually go there, because they know they will lose in court.