Half of Canada contributes nothing to its tax base.

Argus

All government services are paid for through taxes, chiefly income taxes.

People earning $100,000 or more paid 51% of all income tax. The top 15% paid two thirds of all income taxes.

And the average Canadian?

Statistics Canada reported that households at the 50th-percentile income level in 2016 received an average market income of $52,300, paid $6,600 in federal and provincial income taxes and received money transfers equal to $7,400.

Nada.

https://business.financialpost.com/opinion/jack-mintz-ottawa-cant-keep-squeezing-crazy-rich-canadians-or-barely-rich-ones

And your answer would be for all the Canadians to pay, instead of the government to simply calm down its huge expenditures and cut down the number of ministers. Switzerland has only 6 ministers while in Canada we have two governments having 30+ ministers (one federal, one provincial).

You are part of the problem to blame the little Canadians who can't pay a penny to the government. Many don't have anything, no asset whatsoever. And you want them to pay taxes?

1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

Exactly.   Never demand more taxes in Canada, then the CBC will run the headline "Canadians are happy to pay more tax and even demand that they get taxed more!"

I know the thinking schemas of OP.

He is right in a way; we have to have a meritocracy and everyone should contribute to society, and in a way to have a meritocracy we have to let the rich have their money and not have them pay for everything. But the thing is, the rich receive a lot too first off and no, they don't pay for everything. And no, not everyone CAN contribute to society, so it does not surprise me a little bit that half the population doesn't pay a penny to the State; THEY HAVE NOTHING and also DEMAND NOTHING. 

And here I am, paying in the 40% bracket and demanding nothing. And we have people like OP who demand more contributions from the general population. It always means me in the end when someone makes a stupid call to tax all Canadians like that.

2 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

He is right in a way; we have to have a meritocracy and everyone should contribute to society, and in a way to have a meritocracy we have to let the rich have their money and not have them pay for everything. But the thing is, the rich receive a lot too first off and no, they don't pay for everything. And no, not everyone CAN contribute to society, so it does not surprise me a little bit that half the population doesn't pay a penny to the State; THEY HAVE NOTHING and also DEMAND NOTHING. 

And here I am, paying in the 40% bracket and demanding nothing. And we have people like OP who demand more contributions from the general population. It always means me in the end when someone makes a stupid call to tax all Canadians like that.

Can you explain how they "demand nothing"?

14 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Because the money never even gets where it supposed to and this is basically skimming us to pay for corporate welfare, because Canada is so uncompetative Canada has to bribe them to come here, it is such a gulag, that I cannot in all good conscience throw more people into a gulag, whoever has escaped the gulag, I'm just gonna look the other way.

I actually want the Federal Government to go bankrupt, because that's the only way it will ever be restrained.

Edited by Dougie93
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Because the money never even gets where it supposed to and this is basically skimming us to pay for corporate welfare, because Canada is so uncompetative Canada has to bribe them to come here, it is such a gulag, that I cannot in all good conscience throw more people into a gulag, whoever has escaped the gulag, I'm just gonna look the other way.

I actually want the Federal Government to go bankrupt, because that's the only way it will ever be restrained.

It's funny how I was asked why I thought the people who weren't paying taxes to the government weren't demanding things.

First off, it's the opposite thinking that should be made, it's the government demanding money from citizens...

When you have this kind of brain and thinking, you know you're in for a lot more than 40% taxation if these guys were in power.

52 minutes ago, Argus said:

People earning $100,000 or more paid 51% of all income tax. The top 15% paid two thirds of all income taxes

I'm afraid that's just not enough.

Statistics Canada reported that households at the 50th-percentile income level in 2016 received an average market income of $52,300, paid $6,600 in federal and provincial income taxes and received money transfers equal to $7,400.

That's too much I'm afraid.

5 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I'm afraid that's just not enough.

That's too much I'm afraid.

Poor, poor rich.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/canada-1-per-cent-highest-paid-workers-compare/article36383159/

'The highest-paid Canadians had the biggest pay raises over the past decade, as the country's economy swung wildly into a deep recession and into a commodities-led boom. '

1 hour ago, Argus said:

People earning $100,000 or more paid 51% of all income tax. The top 15% paid two thirds of all income taxes.

Nada.

https://business.financialpost.com/opinion/jack-mintz-ottawa-cant-keep-squeezing-crazy-rich-canadians-or-barely-rich-ones

If I am taxed 50%, there is no way I can actually afford to live .. anywhere.  Even as it is, I am having a hard time saving money as my expenses are constantly on the rise due to inflation.

However the real problem is with spending that tax money. The government always likes to more than what they bring in, which puts us farther into debt. So once they are good with our tax dollars, we can entertain giving them more money. They need to stop wasting money on things.

20 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

It's funny how I was asked why I thought the people who weren't paying taxes to the government weren't demanding things.

First off, it's the opposite thinking that should be made, it's the government demanding money from citizens...

When you have this kind of brain and thinking, you know you're in for a lot more than 40% taxation if these guys were in power.

It's not even really their government, I mean, really my government is the Government of Ontario, that is the government which runs things which are relevant to my actual life.

The government which is demanding more taxes is a taxpayer funded virtue signalling campaign to nowhere.  I'd gladly pay more tax if they agree to get rid of the federal government and just let me pay my taxes to what it my actual country, which is Upper Canada.

Edited by Dougie93

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

It's not even really their government, I mean, really my government is the Government of Ontario, that is the government which runs things which are relevant to my actual life.

The government which is demanding more taxes is a taxpayer funded virtue signalling campaign to nowhere.  I'd gladly pay more tax if they agree to get rid of the federal government and just let me pay my taxes to what it my actual country, which is Upper Canada.

It's either a government for the people or a state sponsored racket on false premises of virtue signaling like you mention, or in other ways to waste the money.

The CBC now is like TASS was in the Soviet Union in the 70's, where it was Detente, so it wasn't Stalinist anymore, the Soviets were trying to put a reasonable face on it, so it wasn't like North Korean news, it was the news, and it was largely accurate, biased, but not absurdly so, and no more biased than the American media was, and they did report about the problems in the Soviet Union, they just never turned to the camera and said "and you know, folks, there really is only one problem, and that problem is that we are living a communist dictatorship."

Edited by Dougie93

2 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

And your answer would be for all the Canadians to pay, instead of the government to simply calm down its huge expenditures and cut down the number of ministers. Switzerland has only 6 ministers while in Canada we have two governments having 30+ ministers (one federal, one provincial).

You are part of the problem to blame the little Canadians who can't pay a penny to the government. Many don't have anything, no asset whatsoever. And you want them to pay taxes?

A.  It would be both more intelligent and more polite to ASK me what my answer would be. Especially given I never suggested one.

B. No, that would not be my answer.

1 minute ago, Argus said:

A.  It would be both more intelligent and more polite to ASK me what my answer would be. Especially given I never suggested one.

B. No, that would not be my answer.

Look, you start this thread with the title 'Half of Canada contributes nothing to its tax base', which means your whole argument is going to be about that, and you offered little to no solution in your OP for that regard, so go on.

No, you clearly do not. It's sheer hubris (and arrogance) to suggest otherwise.

Not everyone CAN contribute financially. But there are other ways we should explore for people to make 'A' contribution, to have skin in the game. And we need to do something about the situation which exists (as the columnist pointed out) wherein half the population feels free to constantly vote for governments which offer them more and more goodies because, after all, THEY don't pay for it. They are essentially voting for the government to take more money from higher earners and give it to them. That leads to an endless spiral downward, where greater and greater numbers make no contribution (and so are eager for more services), and the burden falls on fewer and fewer people.

2 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Look, you start this thread with the title 'Half of Canada contributes nothing to its tax base', which means your whole argument is going to be about that, and you offered little to no solution in your OP for that regard, so go on.

You admit I offered no solution yet you presumed to state my solution for me. We are not getting off to a good start here. I will read through the responses before making any 'suggestions'.

You know, when the vaunted Canadian Corps returned home from World War One, there weren't a lot of people at the station to meet them, there was no victory parade, and the Commander of the Corps, General Currie, the Canadian media called him a butcher,  so again, "yay Vimy, now we're a nation!", no, that was not the vibe, it's a myth, the government makes this shit up.

1 minute ago, Argus said:

Not everyone CAN contribute financially. But there are other ways we should explore for people to make 'A' contribution, to have skin in the game. And we need to do something about the situation which exists (as the columnist pointed out) wherein half the population feels free to constantly vote for governments which offer them more and more goodies because, after all, THEY don't pay for it. They are essentially voting for the government to take more money from higher earners and give it to them. That leads to an endless spiral downward, where greater and greater numbers make no contribution (and so are eager for more services), and the burden falls on fewer and fewer people.

You do realize there are people who can NOT for obvious reasons pay taxes. They have no asset, they have to stay at home for taking care of loved ones, they are sick, they have reached an age to which they can't work anymore. There are lots of these people in society and I gladly pay my fair share of tax to them and I'm not here to have something in return, except that later in life, when I'll get to a point where I won't be able to work, I would still be able to live decently.

And of course the retirees, the sick and handicapped are going to vote for those who will help with their condition. The problem is not the fact that these people don't pay any taxes, is that there are two levels of governments who steal our money like you steal a candy from a baby. The fact that you blame the poor for not taking part of the racket is beyond uncalled for I should say.

Not paying taxes in not demanding something, it's simply not agreeing to state sponsored theft when the two govts that I support over my head combine 60 ministers.

I am a firm believer in economic motivation. If you have an economic motivation to vote for parties which believe in BIG government with lots of services then you are likely to do so. Thus the more wealth the government transfers from higher earners, the lower it makes taxes on lower earners, the more people are exempt from carrying any of the fiscal burden of supporting the state, the more likelihood that "'big government" parties will be in power.

Mulcair and Harper vowed to balance the budget. Trudeau promised to spend, spend spend! Trudeau won the election easily. Where was he most successful? Arguably the Atlantic provinces. He swept every seat by promising even more generous welfare (pogey) and government programs.

The more people removed from the group called "taxpayers" the more people will vote for people like Trudeau. It's inevitable, and in their own interests, after all.