Is Canada Being Fair To Aung Suu Kyi?

betsy

I'm trying to understand what exactly did Aung Suu Kyi committed that she is being condemned worldwide, and Canada had even stripped her of her honorary citizenship.   They mostly say the same thing:    They accuse her of doing nothing to stop rape and killings of Rohingya, and she had lost her moral standing.

But according to this article, here is the reason why she's pretty much quiet about it:

But she finds herself in an awkward position.

Ms Suu Kyi makes most of the important decisions, but the military retains control of three vital ministries - home affairs, defence and border affairs. That means it also controls the police. The military is the real power in northern Rakhine State, along the border with Bangladesh.

So Ms Suu Kyi has very little control over events there. Speaking out in support of the Rohingya would almost certainly prompt an angry reaction from Buddhist nationalists and military officials. Not to mention the general public who have very little sympathy for the Rohingya.

This goes some way to explaining why she has rarely spoken out in their favour.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42824778

Politics in third world countries can be vastly different from us.   Suu Kyi seems to fear the military, hence she's been trying to wade carefully around this issue. 

Because of being a human rights activist in her younger years - the world must be seeing her as still the same young lady who suffered in her fight for human rights.  The lady, entering her old age, must be reluctant to get into the role she once had.

Is Canada being fair to Suu Kyi?

6 hours ago, betsy said:

I'm trying to understand what exactly did Aung Suu Kyi committed that she is being condemned worldwide, and Canada had even stripped her of her honorary citizenship.   They mostly say the same thing:    They accuse her of doing nothing to stop rape and killings of Rohingya, and she had lost her moral standing.

But according to this article, here is the reason why she's pretty much quiet about it:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42824778

Politics in third world countries can be vastly different from us.   Suu Kyi seems to fear the military, hence she's been trying to wade carefully around this issue. 

Because of being a human rights activist in her younger years - the world must be seeing her as still the same young lady who suffered in her fight for human rights.  The lady, entering her old age, must be reluctant to get into the role she once had.

Is Canada being fair to Suu Kyi?

No, Canada should have invaded and liberated Burma.

On 10/20/2018 at 3:42 AM, betsy said:

Before your next Rohingya thought, perhaps you should finish your other one. Do you still feel this way?

I don't know what to make of the claim of ethnic cleansing being done to Rohingya Muslims.  

Forgive me if I sound cynical or skeptic - but with the current liberal love affair with Muslims, I am not certain if what we're being given are accurate.   It could be true......but,  it could've been misrepresented by liberal media too.  And, UN can't be trusted either.

Are there any evidence other than claims made by fleeing Muslims, that there is an ethnic cleansing?  Sure they show burnt villages - but don't we see burnt villages in other parts of third world countries that are always embroiled in some sort of conflict?

Why would Suu Kyi hesitate to say it outright, and instead, put herself in an embarrassing position - that earned her rebukes around the world -  if indeed those things are happening?  Myanmar denies it.

2 hours ago, marcus said:

Before your next Rohingya thought, perhaps you should finish your other one. Do you still feel this way?

That other thread is irrelevant.  

I'm asking a valid question whether we're being unfair towards Suu Kyi,  BASED ON THE ARTICLE I've quoted in my OP!

Edited by betsy

6 hours ago, betsy said:

That other thread is irrelevant.  

It is not.

You came in here, posting about how the rohingya refugee crisis is faked and now that it's more than obvious that it's real, you will not acknowledge this. 

If you're not able to retract your past comments and close the last debate with the truth, then you're here to demonize anything and anyone that is Muslim. 

How do you expect people to accept you have any credibility when you approach debates with such dishonesty?

3 hours ago, marcus said:

It is not.

You came in here, posting about how the rohingya refugee crisis is faked and now that it's more than obvious that it's real, you will not acknowledge this. 

If you're not able to retract your past comments and close the last debate with the truth, then you're here to demonize anything and anyone that is Muslim. 

Irrelevant!  

Address the OP, or discuss that line in that Rohingya thread.

How do you expect people to accept you have any credibility when you approach debates with such dishonesty?

How do you expect ME to accept you have any credibility when you approach debates with such dishonesty.....or, you can't comprehend what you read.   

I never claimed it was faked - I was skeptic for a reason, and was asking a question, too

I suppose you'll understand if I ignore you....unless you can come up with something worth responding to.

Edited by betsy

8 hours ago, betsy said:

Irrelevant!  

Address the OP, or discuss that line in that Rohingya thread.

How do you expect ME to accept you have any credibility when you approach debates with such dishonesty.....or, you can't comprehend what you read.   

I never claimed it was faked - I was skeptic for a reason, and was asking a question, too

Why don't you make a post in the original Rohingya thread you started and acknowledge that the ethnic cleansing and human rights violations really did happen? Why are you just leaving your conclusion as "skeptic" about what has happened?

Finish one thought before moving onto another. 

• 4 weeks later...

As I have mentioned before, this isn’t just a sectarian pogrom; it’s also a race war against South Asians. Take a look at the people who have been driven out of Burma. Ethnically, they clearly resemble Bangladeshis and Indians. Suu Kyi should have resigned as soon as these despicable crimes against humanity were made known to her; instead, she has chosen to be part of the cover-up. It’s deeply disappointing to watch an iconic figure disgrace herself but that is precisely what has happened. 

6 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

It’s deeply disappointing to watch an iconic figure disgrace herself but that is precisely what has happened. 

Perhaps it's a bad idea to uphold someone as an 'iconic figure' in the first place. Disappointment? Not really... human nature, an' stuff.

13 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

She had to decide should she submit to Islam and international 'opinion' or stand-up for the Burmese people.

A hard choice.

You’re just trolling now. She abandoned an ethnic minority (have a look at those people for a second and tell me if you notice something) and let it be slaughtered. She is an utter disgrace. 

6 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

You’re just trolling now. She abandoned an ethnic minority (have a look at those people for a second and tell me if you notice something) and let it be slaughtered. She is an utter disgrace. 

Meh...you get what you pay for in this world. Islamic terror gets you the horns in Burma.

That's the way things go in that part of the world. 1 million rohingya refugees sounds like a lot but the muslims in pakistan killed more people than that in Bangladesh in 1970.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Searchlight

They even raped between 200,000 - 400,000 women in "a systematic campaign of genocidal rape." (That kind of rape has nothing in common with "non-consensual sex" where a guy gets forceful when his girlfriend just wants him to go to 3rd base. It's when militia members kick in the door and kill the husband and then rape the wife in front of her kids).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_during_the_Bangladesh_Liberation_War

That's right in the same neck of the woods that Burma is in. The Burmese even say that a lot of the Rohingya came from Bangladesh at the time of the events above. They know what will happen in areas where they are the minority. It's estimated that muslims have slaughtered over 100 million people in that part of the world since they first invaded India.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Are you telling me you’re so cynical about every other human you’ve never been disappointed by one? 

I'm saying it is naive to think a person always has the option to do the right thing, in all circumstances. I'd wager things can get pretty ugly over there, and being a woman probably makes it even more difficult. Who the hell are you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Translation: your post is too on-point for me to do anything but attack you personally as 'sad'.

A few points. I criticised the post, not the person, i.e. what a sad post. The poster already asked me ‘who the hell’ I was which naturally didn’t raise your ire. And the content is ludricous. Basically, anybody killing Muslims is a great guy or gal here. Suu Kyi had the option to resign and speak out rather than collaborate with genocide. That’s not a minor failing. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

8 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

A few points. I criticised the post, not the person, i.e. what a sad post. The poster already asked me ‘who the hell’ I was which naturally didn’t raise your ire. And the content is ludricous. Basically, anybody killing Muslims is a great guy or gal here. Suu Kyi had the option to resign and speak out rather than collaborate with genocide. That’s not a minor failing. 

Indeed...who the Hell are you to decide what is best for Burma? 

Islam brought this ire upon itself and continues to do so as it seeks domination of non-Muslims globally...including here in Canada. You're more than welcome to try and help Islam achieve its goals.