Government pot sales

I guess it was only a matter of time, but today the first data breach that I'm aware of relating to Ontario's online sales system was reported in the media. I don't use cannabis but I know people who do who say they simply won't buy it from a government agency or access it through the mail. Apparently, most of them are waiting for the retail outlets to open up and in the meantime are obtaining it the old-fashioned way, which legalization was supposed to end, right?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-cannabis-store-data-breach-canada-post-customer-orders-1.4895619

24 minutes ago, turningrite said:

Apparently, most of them are waiting for the retail outlets to open up and in the meantime are obtaining it the old-fashioned way, which legalization was supposed to end, right?

Except the old-fashioned way of thinking behind putting the black market out of business was to eliminate the inflationary effect of criminalization on profits.  Instead they've pretty much doubled the price so even when the retail outlets open most people that can will buy it elsewhere.

This is the price of waiting so long to legalize - not to mention we're still talking about something that's as inexpensive and difficult to grow as a tomato.

Yes, although there are probably more than enough people out there who are curious but have never had the social connections to purchase it on the black market. I think that is the primary customer base right now. So yeah, until they get their quality control and pricing in order (which is inevitable in time), the black market situation probably won't change much at all because people who have always shopped there do not yet have a reason to change.

What has been interesting crossing the border since legalization is that US CBP agents spend an inordinate amount of time and effort asking over and over if I have ever even tried cannabis.  I usually recite the licenses, approvals, security clearances, etc. I need for the things I do for work and play and they catch on that I could never do such a stupid thing.  I just hope they do bar as many potheads as they should from entry.  The penalties for using it here were obviously never a deterrent.

Edited by cannuck

On 11/10/2018 at 7:21 PM, cannuck said:

What has been interesting crossing the border since legalization is that US CBP agents spend an inordinate amount of time and effort asking over and over if I have ever even tried cannabis.  I usually recite the licenses, approvals, security clearances, etc. I need for the things I do for work and play and they catch on that I could never do such a stupid thing.  I just hope they do bar as many potheads as they should from entry.  The penalties for using it here were obviously never a deterrent.

Almost a month after legalization, this nation is still operating normally and has not disintegrated into chaos.

On 11/10/2018 at 7:21 PM, cannuck said:

Nor is it in the US where many states have legalized usage as well. 

It appears that the Ontario government has pulled a "fast one" on pot smokers. There are no more illegal dope stores so that now, it's actually more difficult for people to obtain their drugs than before. Classic rip-off in true Toronto Jane-Finch-corridor homeboy style, which no doubt Doug Ford learned in his youth. Hell, he perfected it as an adult, and now holds office as Premier Doper of Ontario! Nicely done!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

It appears that the Ontario government has pulled a "fast one" on pot smokers. There are no more illegal dope stores so that now, it's actually more difficult for people to obtain their drugs than before. Classic rip-off in true Toronto Jane-Finch-corridor homeboy style, which no doubt Doug Ford learned in his youth. Hell, he perfected it as an adult, and now holds office as Premier Doper of Ontario! Nicely done!

Son, your mother and I would like you to cozy-up to the Finkelstein boy. He's a bright kid and is going to military school. Remember, he was an Eagle Scout...

hqdefault.jpg.c79065cd215360c376897b57282875df.jpg

Maybe I can getcha a job with United Fruit...

:P

• Haha 1

Just now, OftenWrong said:

Ain't that a peach!

Perhaps my favorite scene...

When boy?? When???

(Strother Martin)

I doubt the government can match the quality of the local BC 'illegal' weed out here. I'm not sure how legal is illegal these days... but they're trying. I do know that the so-called organized crime behind the marijuana trade is miffed at being cut-out-of-the-loop. That can't be good.

2 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

I do know that the so-called organized crime behind the marijuana trade is miffed at being cut-out-of-the-loop. That can't be good.

Reveal hidden contents

It's the small hydroponic stores I feel for, they're feeling pretty doomed at the thought of the Walmarts and Costcos of the world getting into the business.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the sky didn't fall like everyone suggested it would. I'm just wondering what the increased costs of legalization are that they keep talking about. Were there no costs to enforcement before? All indications so far are that there hasn't been much of a difference for anybody, so I'm not sure where they're coming from.