America's gun problem or is it?

The Second Amendment is a public safety hazard that limits Americans’ freedom.  It’s caused far more damage to communities and the very fabric of American society than liberty.  Thank God we don’t have it in Canada.  Hopefully Bill C-71 makes a difference.  We need more gun control, not less, including a complete civilian ban on handguns and assault rifles.  

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Plenty of Americans who will shoot you for brandishing, particularly the police.   And the police will get away with it, so really, just as in Canada, the police have the power, the lawful gun owners are at their mercy.

I don't think you understand.  Maybe this will help....

image.jpeg

Just now, Dougie93 said:

I you don't understand that the individual has no tactical options against the power of the state and its security forces, then you are, again, delusional.

Unless, again, you are organized into an army to make revolution.

Don't care, because the purpose of contemporary citizen ownership and carry is not to attack the state.   

Not to mention that, America has suspended all your constitutional rights for all intents and purposes, by Congress invoking a permanent state of war, which then empowers the President to do practically anything, by Executive Order Article II.

Warrantless surveillance, kidnapping, assassination, torture, you name it, and if need be done in the CONUS, JSOC is Posse Comitatus exempt.

Edited by Dougie93

2 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Not to mention that, America has suspended all your constitutional rights for all intents and purposes, by Congress invoking a permanent state of war, which then empowers the President to do practically anything, by Executive Order Article II.

More academic irrelevance....my guns....and my neighbours' guns...can't read executive orders.

The guns already exist at numerous levels for a plethora of purposes.    Millions more each year.

The US is stuck with the Second Amendment, as there’s no realistic way to retrieve 400,000,000 firearms from the population.  Strengthen gun control in Canada and tighten our border.  The genie is out of the bottle in the US.  In certain US cities I’d probably pack a small pistol.  Up here I’ll rely on my black belt, and when I’m elderly, pepper spray and a horn. 

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

The US is stuck with the Second Amendment, as there’s no realistic way to retrieve 400,000,000 firearms from the population.  Strengthen gun control in Canada and tighten our border.  The genie is out of the bottle in the US.  In certain US cities I’d probably pack a small pistol.  Up here I’ll rely on my black belt, and when I’m elderly, pepper spray and a horn. 

The second amendment only precludes federal gun control, state gun control is quite constitutional and many US states have Canadian like gun control, even more at the county level.

Just now, Dougie93 said:

My guns have the same power your guns have, again, I would say a C8 trumps your gauge and sidearm, you're unlikely to a master of arms with shotgun and pistol.

And my nuclear weapons trump your C8....a fun game to play ?

Your guns are not protected by a constitutional right to own and bear arms.

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

And my nuclear weapons trump your C8....a fun game to play ?

Your guns are not protected by a constitutional right to own and bear arms.

Your nuclear weapons are only at the discretion of the National Command Authority. 

Canada's lack of nuclear weapons is a political choice, Atomic Energy Canada has all the expertise to construct thermonuclear weapons, and there's enough plutonium stored at Pickering to make thousands of  hydrogen bombs.

I have a constitutional right to keep and bear arms, Canadian constitutional law is simply an extension of British constitutional law, I am simply bound to keep and bear arms in the allowance of the law, to include not raising them against the Crown.

4 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

The second amendment only precludes federal gun control, state gun control is quite constitutional and many US states have Canadian like gun control, even more at the county level.

Nope.....see McDonald v. City of Chicago:

McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 742 (2010), is a landmark[1] decision of the Supreme Court of the United States that found that the right of an individual to "keep and bear arms," as protected under the Second Amendment, is incorporated by the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment against the states. The decision cleared up the uncertainty left in the wake of District of Columbia v. Heller as to the scope of gun rights in regard to the states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald_v._City_of_Chicago

1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

I have a constitutional right to keep and bear arms, Canadian constitutional law is simply an extension of British constitutional law, I am simply bound to keep and bear arms in the allowance of the law, to include not raising them against the Crown.

If you say so...your own government says otherwise.

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

If you say so...your own government says otherwise.

No they don't.  If the Liberals thought that they could ban guns outright without that being overthrown by the judiciary, they would do it, but they know that's not going to work, so what they do is just  layer on regulations instead.

1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

Doesn't matter, plenty of states and counties have Canadian like gun laws, to include the core of Canadian gun laws, which is an "assault" weapons ban.

My neighbors in New York have to jump through most of the hoops I have to,  there's no practical difference at the tactical level. 

Oh yes there is....'cause when push comes to shove in court, the U.S. Supreme Court has his back, and yours doesn't.

2 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

No they don't.  If the Liberals thought that they could ban guns outright without that being overthrown by the judiciary, they would do it, but they know that's not going to work, so what they do is just  layer on regulations instead.

Great strategy....not working so well.

More guns...more open carry....more concealed carry.

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Oh yes there is....'cause when push comes to shove in court, the U.S. Supreme Court has his back, and yours doesn't.

They wont ban guns outright, that would invoke the common law bill of rights.   The SCC will say that you can have guns, in allowance of the law, as per 1689.

The law will include lots of nanny regulations designed to deter you, but if you're not deterred, they can't stop you from owning an AR15.

16 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

What good are state gun controls without a hard border?  I realize our border is quite porous, but at least we have the Great Lakes and Niagara River, Lake St. Claire, etc.   as natural barriers to our most populous areas.  I think a harder border for immigration and security purposes, combined with extended freedoms of labour and residence for the law abiding citizens of both countries is the way to go. Freedom of opportunity combined with increased safety.  Let’s not let our inner cities go to hell in a hand basket.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

Just now, Dougie93 said:

They wont ban guns outright, that would invoke the common law bill of rights.   The SCC will say that you can have guns, in allowance of the law, as per 1689.

The law will include lots of nanny regulations designed to deter you, but if you're not deterred, they can't stop you from owning an AR15.

They can do whatever the hell they want in Canada...I don't care.

The U.S. Supreme Court has drawn a line in the sand that states can no longer cross without challenge.

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

They can do whatever the hell they want in Canada...I don't care.

The U.S. Supreme Court has drawn a line in the sand that states can no longer cross without challenge.

I only care about the Declaration of Independence, the rest of the United States constitution doesn't apply to me.

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

What good are state gun controls without a hard border?  I realize our border is quite porous, but at least we have the Great Lakes and Niagara River, Lake St. Claire, etc.   as natural barriers to our most populous areas.  I think a harder border for immigration and security purposes, combined with extended freedoms of labour and residence for the law abiding citizens of both countries is the way to go. Freedom of opportunity combined with increased safety.  Let’s not let our inner cities go to hell in a hand basket.  

I don't think Canadian gun control is effective.  I deem it to be security theater and an attempt to deter Canadians from owning guns even tho we have a common law right to.

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Meh....nothing in Canada applies to me....armed brothers took care of that in 1775.

1775 was not a war against Canada, 1775 was a war against Westminster in London.

1812 was the war against Canada, but your armed brothers jumped to their deaths from the Heights of Queenston rather than be taken by the Grand River Mohawks.

• Like 1