Iqra Khalid and Motion M-103

35 minutes ago, Argus said:

They are the ones doing the study, or their underlings who will take direction from them. Government 'studies' generally come to whatever conclusion the government of the day wants them to.

People with the education to do these studies will perform it. It's on you to prove the government is telling them what to conclude. 

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

There is no law, it's a 'motion'.  The idea that the government would/could easily pass a law that censors criticism of government (or religion for that matter) reveals a lack of understanding of politics and the law.

If the motion is passed, it can easily become law.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

A majority government can easily pass any damn law they want to.

Yes and no.  The courts would strike down the laws that are envisioned in the worst-case scenarios.  Anything restricting non-hate freedom-of-speech or criticizing the government for example.  If there's any doubt, then let me submit my name as someone who would protest such laws.

2 hours ago, Gingerteeth said:

People with the education to do these studies will perform it. It's on you to prove the government is telling them what to conclude. 

LOL! HAW HAW HAW! GUFFAW!

Oh.  You were... serious?

The 'study' is being undertaken by the House of Commons Heritage Committee. It is led by... wait for it... Hedy Fry. It can be guaranteed to find that people are BURNING CROSSES IN FRONT OF MOSQUES even as we speak!!! :o  Aaagh!! Aaaagh! Something desperate must be done! Immediately!!!

Edited by Argus

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

LOL! HAW HAW HAW! GUFFAW!

Oh.  You were... serious?

The 'study' is being undertaken by the House of Commons Heritage Committee. It is led by... wait for it... Hedy Fry. It can be guaranteed to find that people are BURNING CROSSES IN FRONT OF MOSQUES even as we speak!!! :o  Aaagh!@ Aaaagh! Something desperate must be done! Immediately!!!

You have no leg to stand on this issue as evidenced by your mental breakdown in your post. 

Either you can back up your claims or you, like an adult, can admit that you don't have an argument.

Edited by Gingerteeth

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yes and no.  The courts would strike down the laws that are envisioned in the worst-case scenarios.  Anything restricting non-hate freedom-of-speech or criticizing the government for example.  If there's any doubt, then let me submit my name as someone who would protest such laws.

But the courts are notoriously liberal, and the courts and constitution (written by Liberals) permit violations of various freedoms in order to help minorities.

You think they don't have didn't have freedom of speech in the UK and France? The courts allowed that to be overridden so as to nor cause offense to Muslims and other minorities.

Just now, Gingerteeth said:

You have no leg to stand on this issue as evidenced by your mental breakdown in your post. 

Either you can back up your claims or you, like an adult, can admit that you don't have an argument.

Because I'm unthinking and unimaginative like you? Because I can't see a fairly easily foreseeable outcome? Wait and see, sunshine. Get your arguments ready to support the ban on speech which causes 'islamophobia'.

2 hours ago, Argus said:

Because I'm unthinking and unimaginative like you? Because I can't see a fairly easily foreseeable outcome? Wait and see, sunshine. Get your arguments ready to support the ban on speech which causes 'islamophobia'.

Kind of a strange thing to say since I didn't make any unsubstantiated claims. 

Edited by Gingerteeth

3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

What is "Islamophobia" ?   It is not defined in Motion 103.

If I post that "political Islam sucks", is that Islamophobia ?

Do I have to pay Lucy the equivalent of 5 cents U.S. to find out ?

You can say Islam sucks if you want.  It's a perfectly valid opinion, and no-one's business but your own. 

(I'm not saying you would, just that you could)

2 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

You can say Islam sucks if you want.  It's a perfectly valid opinion, and no-one's business but your own. 

(I'm not saying you would, just that you could)

So can I rent a large billboard in Ottawa and make the same claim for all to see ?

Or is that "discrimination" and "hate speech" ?

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

So can I rent a large billboard in Ottawa and make the same claim for all to see ?

Or is that "discrimination" and "hate speech" ?

I'm okay with it.

5 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Unless I'm mistaken you'll have to rent that billboard from local First Nations, most jurisdictions AFAIK have banned billboards as eyesores but many First Nations still allow them.

Please try, I suspect the can of worms such a billboard would open would be very very interesting one indeed.

Edited by eyeball

7 hours ago, eyeball said:

Please try, I suspect the can of worms such a billboard would open would be very very interesting one indeed.

Again, the basis of the hysterical claims is that Western democracy is a flawed design.  A few reasonable conservatives here are trying to give some space to their fringey cohorts by submitting some 'what if' scenarios.  That's kind of them.  I personally would show fringe leftist posters the door as I prefer discussions based in reality.

17 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

What is "Islamophobia" ?   It is not defined in Motion 103.

If I post that "political Islam sucks", is that Islamophobia ?

Do I have to pay Lucy the equivalent of 5 cents U.S. to find out ?

Motion 103 is not a friggen law, how many times does one have to beat people over the head to understand that.