Compensating Khadr

15 minutes ago, Omni said:

All that drivel simply to try and deflect from the fact he was a child? Try a little harder.

Dude, no one is deflecting anything in regards to his age - I think if you read more slowly...and sound out the words, you'll learn that fact.  I've simply asked what army he was fighting for, a question that you seem unable to answer.  For someone who knows so much about the legal case, surely you know what army this child solider was representing - don't you?

6 minutes ago, Spiderfish said:

No actually they didnt.  According to a motion to suppress ruling by military judge Patrick Parrish, various interrogation techniques were used on Khadr, but it was ruled that there was no credible evidence that Khadr had been tortured as alleged, and that his confession was gained after it was revealed that Americans had discovered a videotape of Khadr and others making IED's.

14 minutes ago, Spiderfish said:

Did not the courts find he'd been tortured?  Did they just take his word for it without evidence? 

They certainly did, and found the commission unlawful in 3 seperate cases.

3 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

Dude, no one is deflecting anything in regards to his age - I think if you read more slowly...and sound out the words, you'll learn that fact.  I've simply asked what army he was fighting for, a question that you seem unable to answer.  For someone who knows so much about the legal case, surely you know what army this child solider was representing - don't you?

Let me slow it down for you dude, there..is...no...proof...he...was...working...for...any....army. He was taken to Afghanistan by his father as a young child. You can blame daddy but you can't translate that blame at your whim to rest on the child. I understand that people who are weak enough to buy into xenophobia tend to go completely down the rabbit hole. But others who do not fall for that attempt to observe and uphold the laws we have worked so hard to create and be proud of.

2 minutes ago, Omni said:

Let me slow it down for you dude, there..is...no...proof...he...was...working...for...any....army. He was taken to Afghanistan by his father as a young child. You can blame daddy but you can't translate that blame at your whim to rest on the child. I understand that people who are weak enough to buy into xenophobia tend to go completely down the rabbit hole. But others who do not fall for that attempt to observe and uphold the laws we have worked so hard to create and be proud of.

Thank you.  It wasn't so hard now, was it.  He wasn't a solider, therefore not a child solider.

1 minute ago, Hal 9000 said:

Thank you.  It wasn't so hard now, was it.  He wasn't a solider, therefore not a child solider.

Apparently it is for you. He was a child. His rights were denied, child or not. He's got a pocketful of your money because of the stupidity. Sorry.

5 minutes ago, Spiderfish said:

I don't know what 3 cases your referring to, but we're talking about Khadr.   The courts ruled there was no evidence to support his allegations.

Hamdan v Rumsfeld was one, you can go ahead and look up the others What allegations and what courts are you flailing around about?

42 minutes ago, Spiderfish said:

No actually they didnt.  According to a motion to suppress ruling by military judge Patrick Parrish, various interrogation techniques were used on Khadr, but it was ruled that there was no credible evidence that Khadr had been tortured as alleged, and that his confession was gained after it was revealed that Americans had discovered a videotape of Khadr and others making IED's.

Cite please.

1 hour ago, Omni said:

So stoning is OK, abortion is not?

neither is OK, but terrorists from Canada heading off to whatever-stan to kill CANADIANS, locals and our allies is just hunky dory with you.

If you want to be so in line with the law, what about Mommy & Daddy's oath????

2 minutes ago, cannuck said:

neither is OK, but terrorists from Canada heading off to whatever-stan to kill CANADIANS, locals and our allies is just hunky dory with you.

If you want to be so in line with the law, what about Mommy & Daddy's oath????

Well it's a flimsy argument you suggest and here's why: this case is about the son, not mommy and daddy. Beat them up all you want, but the court case under discussion is about a natural born Canadian citizen. Laws have to be adhered to or we end up in a maelstrom.

Khadr’s chief 'interrogator' was Joshua Claus.

Who is Joshua Claus?

In 2005, Mr. Claus accepted a plea bargain before a court martial, where he admitted to forcing water down a detainee’s throat, twisting a hood over his head until he choked, and to abuse of an Afghan taxi driver who died in custody from his injuries. Mr. Claus was discharged from the army.

During his testimony, when asked whether he shone excruciatingly bright lights in Mr. Khadr’s eyes after surgery on those eyes, whether he put a bag over Mr. Khadr's head and choked him, whether he threw him off a hospital stretcher hours after major surgery, whether he bound Mr. Khadr’s hands over his head and hung them from the ceiling for hours, whether he subjected him to prolonged sleep deprivation and stress positions, whether he threatened Mr. Khadr with rape in a U.S. prison by “big black men,” Mr. Claus mostly shook his head, or smirked and replied that he couldn’t remember.

What would you confess if you got to hang out with Joshua Claus? Especially if you are a child?

Another thing that bothers me about the approach some are taking is the strange double standards many have. Why is the U.S. military allowed to kill people, like Khadr, but Khadr and the others he was with are not allowed to? Did Speers kill anyone during the fire fight? Would he be charged for it if he did?

What about the thousands of innocent civilians who have been killed by U.S. and ally military? How many times have they been convicted for murder for killing innocent civilians?  

The Canadian government should have absolutely apologized to Khadr and the compensation is just a drop for what they allowed to continue. I mean, even after the U.S. said that they are willing to return Khadr, the Canadian government REFUSED to take the child. Canada was complicit in the commission of grave human rights violations against Khadr at the hands of foreign governments, and did nothing to protect him.

9 minutes ago, Hudson Jones said:

....Another thing that bothers me about the approach some are taking is the strange double standards many have. Why is the U.S. military allowed to kill people, like Khadr, but Khadr and the others he was with are not allowed to? Did Speers kill anyone during the fire fight? Would he be charged for it if he did?

Was Khadr's killin' authorized by a UNSC resolution and NATO Arcticle 5 ?    Is it a Charter Right to build and detonate IEDs anywhere in the world that Team Khadr chooses to kill for Allah ?    Did Khadr carry proper jihadist liability insurance ?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

8 minutes ago, Hudson Jones said:

Canada was complicit in the commission of grave human rights violations against Khadr at the hands of foreign governments, and did nothing to protect him.

I'm somewhat bolstered in that our courts system finally got around to acknowledging that. 

7 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Was Khadr's killin' authorized by a UNSC resolution and NATO Arcticle 5 ?

Oh? Suddenly a give a shit about UNSC Resolutions? 

What was Khadr then? A combatant? A child soldier? Or something else someone made up to excuse taking a child into prison and torture?

1 minute ago, Hudson Jones said:

Oh? Suddenly a give a shit about UNSC Resolutions? 

What was Khadr then? A combatant? A child soldier? Or something else someone made up to excuse taking a child into prison and torture?

Khadr was an illegal combatant and Al Qaeda terrorist...still is.

6 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Khadr was an illegal combatant and Al Qaeda terrorist...still is.

I thought you supported UN Resolutions.

UN Resolutions and charters do not recognize "illegal combatants" and would certainly not support imprisoning and torturing a child.

Inconsistency. 

Edited by Hudson Jones

8 hours ago, Omni said:

No, he was a child soldier, not a terrorist. And you just not get that that's not necessarily my opinion, but the opinion of international and Canadian law. Please try to keep up because repeating the same facts continuously becomes laborious. 

So now you're admitting he was engaged in battle?

BTW, he wasn't a terrorist. He IS a terrorist. 

6 hours ago, Omni said:

You can't use indoctrination as a defense. 

Not many are proud of this payout for murder....present lefties excluded of course.

5 hours ago, Omni said:

Well it's a flimsy argument you suggest and here's why: this case is about the son, not mommy and daddy. Beat them up all you want, but the court case under discussion is about a natural born Canadian citizen. Laws have to be adhered to or we end up in a maelstrom.

Natural born killer.

Who started the maelstrom... Canadians didn't. 

15 hours ago, Omni said:

Arar is one and I don't have the other on the tip of my tongue. Arar killed the same number of Americans as Khadr if you follow the evidence.

What are you talking about. How is the fact situation of Arar relevant to Kadr. Please explain.

4 hours ago, Hudson Jones said:

I thought you supported UN Resolutions.

UN Resolutions and charters do not recognize "illegal combatants" and would certainly not support imprisoning and torturing a child.

Inconsistency. 

No where in the UN Convention on torture does it define sleep deprivation as torture. Yah you knew that. You also know resolutions are not legal documents or binding. Yah you knew that too. Another legal expert.