Compensating Khadr

On 7/12/2017 at 8:27 AM, drummindiver said:

Yes, better Muslim extremists than pro Israeli people in Canada.

Why don't you stfu and head back to any of those shit#holes and despots you admire so much.

Really?  I would have rather not gone into places like Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria. And I would not have sent our troops there.

On 7/12/2017 at 10:35 AM, drummindiver said:

He was an illegal combatant as agreed upon by everyone in case you missed it.

That's a term used by the US to get around certain Geneva conventions pertaining to detaining people in war zones. I am not aware the UN uses it in any fashion.

According to his religion and his culture, which is the religion and culture that his entire family was following and is still following, he was NOT a child soldier.

Their choice was to spit on and fight against Western culture, which yes, would have viewed him as a child soldier.

But much the way they used Canadian citizenship and Canadian healthcare, they now want to claim "child soldier" status for him.  It is a convenience to them.  They waffle back and forth between the two opposing cultures, using one when it is to their benefit and using the other when they think that it will benefit them more.

THIS.

This is what infuriates Canadians.

18 hours ago, capricorn said:

Kid my ass. Because my loyalty lies with Canada and always will, unlike that treasonous murdering jihadist.

Meanwhile Canada sold billions worth of weapons to Saudi Arabia. Canada loves doing business with murdering jihadists.

18 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

You think that's a fair choice and the child should take responsibility for it?    or do you think we should try and help the sweat shop kids because they're only children and the choice between that and death isn't really a choice?

So a child soldier chooses between being there and what....? 

:rolleyes:

Stop that lie that the Libs want to spread around.

He's not a child soldier!  He doesn't fall into the category since he's not really a "soldier" under the definition.  Furthermore, he's 15 years old - nearly 16.  15 years is the minimum age-requirement for a child soldier under Article 38.

He was nothing more than a minor thug.  Minors who commit horrendous crimes are sometimes tried as adults. 

He chose to be there - he could've gone to proper authorities if he didn't like what his parents want him to do.  A lot of Canadian kids alert their teachers or other people when they're getting abused at home.  Stop making excuses!

Edited by betsy

6 minutes ago, betsy said:

Stop that lie that the Libs want to spread around.

He's not a child soldier!  He doesn't fall into the category since he's not really a "soldier" under the definition.  Furthermore, he's 15 years old - nearly 16.  15 years is the minimum age-requirement for a child soldier under Article 38.

He was nothing more than a minor thug.  Minors who commit horrendous crimes are sometimes tried as adults. 

He chose to be there - he could've gone to proper authorities is he didn't like what his parents want him to do.  A lot of Canadian kids alert their teachers or other people when they're getting abused at home.  Stop making excuses!

He was recruited at 10.  He was 15 at capture.  You stated yourself child soldiers can be 15.  

The term "child soldier" doesn't refer to kids in a proper standing army.  Don't be silly.  You made that up.  Child soldier refers to kids 15 and under who were recruited into fighting....  whether it's tribal violence in Africa or a standing army who forces kids to fight.  There's no distinction there.  

If he was 14, then would you say he was a child soldier?  12?  10?  

Edited by The_Squid

10 minutes ago, jacee said:

If it's overturned ... her lawsuit is moot.

Khadr has not heard the last of this lawsuit. The US attorneys acting in this lawsuit on behalf of the widow were probably well aware they were wasting their time in the Ontario Superior Court. I strongly suspect they have something up their sleeve. And as I said earlier, I hope this matter drags on no end to make Justin and his Liberals sweat bullets.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Goddess said:

According to his religion and his culture, which is the religion and culture that his entire family was following and is still following, he was NOT a child soldier.

And according to his crazy religion, killing non-Muslims cuz Jihad is fine too.  So, I guess what you're saying is that we should use their rules and not ours?  In your crazy scenario, none of them are doing anything wrong!

We use our rules...   to do otherwise is insane and convoluted.  

Edited by The_Squid

6 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

He was recruited at 10.  He was 15 at capture.  You stated yourself child soldiers can be 15.  

The term "child soldier" doesn't refer to kids in a proper standing army.  Don't be silly.  You made that up.  Child soldier refers to kids 15 and under who were recruited into fighting....  whether it's tribal violence in Africa or a standing army who forces kids to fight.  There's no distinction there.  

He was 15 when he was captured!  He wasn't 10.  

Just now, betsy said:

He was 15 when he was captured!  He wasn't 10.  

He was 10 when he was recruited.  

What age Betsy?  Simple question.  If he was 14?  5?  In diapers?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, capricorn said:

Khadr has not heard the last of this lawsuit. The US attorneys acting in this lawsuit on behalf of the widow were probably well aware they were wasting their time in the Ontario Superior Court. I strongly suspect they have something up their sleeve. And as I said earlier, I hope this matter drags on no end to make Justin and his Liberals sweat bullets.

If Khadr's conviction is overturned on appeal, the lawsuit will become void.

9 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

And according to his crazy religion, killing non-Muslims cuz Jihad is fine too.  So, I guess what you're saying is that we should use their rules and not ours?  In your crazy scenario, none of them are doing anything wrong!

It's not my crazy scenario.  It's their's.  And look at the mess.

My point - was that THEY did not want anything to do with Canadian culture.  THEY, as a family, decided that following jihadi Muslim death culture was what THEY wanted and prefered.  THEY made the choice to spit on everything Canadian.

But then THEY are caught red-handed, Oh my!  Poor little jihadis!!

NOW, of course, they want to follow Western culture.  How freakin' convenient.

NOW that they have used Canadian citizenship, Canadian healthcare and Canadian law against us, AND have never renounced their Al Quaeda allegiance and have 10 million dollars to invest in their favourite hobby of terrorism.......which culture and religion do you think THEY will think benefits them the most now?

HINT:  Not our's.

Edited by Goddess

1 minute ago, jacee said:

If Khadr's conviction is overturned on appeal, the lawsuit will become void.

Says the serial poster who proclaimed 9 or 10 pages ago that this discussion was going around in circles. No the lawsuit will not be moot. Mind you, I'm impressed with your ability to foresee the legal actions of professional lawyers.

20 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

I didn't make it up.  See, you don't know what you're arguing about:

Child Soldiers International promotes the adoption and implementation of international legal standards protecting children from military recruitment or use in hostilities.

Article 38 requires state parties to prevent anyone under the age of 15 from taking direct part in hostilities and to refrain from recruiting anyone under the age of 15 years.

https://www.child-soldiers.org/international-standards

Child soldiers that don't wear uniforms - like terrorists - don't meet the definition.

Edited by betsy

Just now, betsy said:

So if the child was 10 years old when recruited?  That's a child soldier?  Like Khadr was?

where does it say it has to be into a regular army?  You made that up.  

Just now, The_Squid said:

Who is 'they'?

Having trouble with reading comprehension today, I see....let me help you:

3 minutes ago, Goddess said:

THEY, as a family

1 minute ago, The_Squid said:

And where is your evidence?

Have you read ANY of this entire thread?  They used Canadian citizenship, Canadian healthcare and Canadian law ONLY when it benefits them and their terrorist agenda.  That is pretty obvious.  It certainly is obvious to most Canadians.

2 minutes ago, betsy said:

Betsy, you're quoting from a website that said the Khadr payout is a good thing and that it could help child soldiers in the future.  Your own source says Khadr was a child soldier!!

https://www.child-soldiers.org/News/payout-for-guantnamo-teenager-could-boost-rights-of-child-soldiers

Canada’s compensation payment to a former child soldier could have worldwide implications, child rights defenders say. Omar Khadr, the only child soldier to have been prosecuted by a military tribunal for war crimes, has received an apology and $10.5m compensation from the Canadian government for failing to protect his rights.

so then you agree with your source about what's a child soldier?  Or are you disagreeing with your own source that you are trying to use to make your case?

3 minutes ago, Goddess said:

They used Canadian citizenship, Canadian healthcare and Canadian law ONLY when it benefits them and their terrorist agenda.

I agree.  What the family did to Omar was despicable and they deserved to be punished for it.  Did Harper ever do anything about the family?  Why not?

11 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

So if the child was 10 years old when recruited?  That's a child soldier?  Like Khadr was?

where does it say it has to be into a regular army?  You made that up.  

Even if we look at him under the definition of a child soldier - at the time he was caught, he wasn't. 

That's the issue - the time he was caught doing a crime!

Edited by betsy

1 minute ago, betsy said:

At the time he was caught, he wasn't.  That's the issue - the time he was caught doing a crime!

The website you used to define a child soldier says he was a child soldier.  

Edited by The_Squid

Just now, The_Squid said:

The website you used to define a child soldier says he was a child soldier.  

Terrorists fall under the category of "unlawful combatants."

Unlawful Combatant Definition:

A combatant who does not act under orders or with a distinctive uniform and conceals arms and otherwise ignores the laws and customs of war.

http://www.duhaime.org/LegalDictionary/U/UnlawfulCombatant.aspx

14 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

Betsy, you're quoting from a website that said the Khadr payout is a good thing and that it could help child soldiers in the future.  Your own source says Khadr was a child soldier!!

https://www.child-soldiers.org/News/payout-for-guantnamo-teenager-could-boost-rights-of-child-soldiers

I didn't give that particular article.  Notice the difference with the link?  This is what I gave:

My link did say, MILITARY!

Edited by betsy