Compensating Khadr

12 hours ago, Omni said:

Hamdan v Rumsfeld was one, you can go ahead and look up the others What allegations and what courts are you flailing around about?

Khadr's trial came after the Hadman vs Rumsfeld verdict which ruled that detainees are entitled to limited rights of due process.   Consequently, the Department of Defense instituted Combatant Status Review Panels to satisfy this ruling.  Khadr's case was heard by this review panel, so this example is moot and does not apply to his case.

16 hours ago, Charlie said:

I don't get this part. How is he a terrorist when nobody could prove it. Are we living in Somalia or Saudi Arabia or China where you could tag anyone as terrorist because you feel so. 

Here's a good start for you...

omarkhadr.jpeg.size.custom.crop.864x650.jpg

There's a really interesting video that goes along with the photo, may want to look it up.

Edited by Spiderfish

6 minutes ago, Spiderfish said:

Khadr's trial came after the Hadman vs Rumsfeld verdict which ruled that detainees are entitled to limited rights of due process.   Consequently, the Department of Defense instituted Combatant Status Review Panels to satisfy this ruling.  Khadr's case was heard by this review panel, so this example is moot and does not apply to his case.

It stripped the commission of any authority so it's findings have no weight.

5 minutes ago, Spiderfish said:

Incorrect again.  Please do yourself a favour and look it up.  You can start by educating yourself on The Military Commissions Act of 2006 .

I've done plenty of looking up so I'll leave you to do yours. In any case the Speer application has been rejected so it looks like the legal part of this story is coming to a close.

If he was recruited at 10 years old but isn't considered a child soldier, then what would the cons on this forum consider a child soldier?

5 years old?

still shitting their diapers?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiderfish said:

Here's a good start for you...

omarkhadr.jpeg.size.custom.crop.864x650.jpg

There's a really interesting video that goes along with the photo, may want to look it up.

And I'm sure those children in Bangladeshi sweat shops volunteered to be there too...

:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, The_Squid said:

If he was recruited at 10 years old but isn't considered a child soldier, then what would the cons on this forum consider a child soldier?

5 years old?

still shitting their diapers?

anybody with brown skin and a funny foreign sounding name?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Omni said:

I've done plenty of looking up so I'll leave you to do yours. In any case the Speer application has been rejected so it looks like the legal part of this story is coming to a close.

Okay, so you have put forward a claim that the Supreme Court has ruled that  Parrish's judgement was rejected.  I have given you plenty of direction and opportunity to lead you to the facts that would show you that you are completely wrong on this point.  Could you provide anything at all that would substantiate your claim?

And the Speer application was merely to freeze his assets, this story is far from over.  He still has a 134 million dollar wrongful death judgement against him that he lost.  This case will be heard in a Canadian court.  Hate to bust your bubble, I know you were getting excited in your incorrect thinking that this thug was home free.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spiderfish said:

I'm sure when he stated that he loves killing Americans, what he ACTUALLY meant was he hates killing Americans.  yeah, that must be what he meant.

And sweat shop kids say how much they love their jobs.   What they really mean is "please help me just be a kid instead of a slave".  Yeah right....  they love their jobs!!  They may be children, but they can choose not to be there, right?  Just like child soldiers?

i noticed you skipped my child soldier question....

Edited by The_Squid

10 minutes ago, Spiderfish said:

Okay, so you have put forward a claim that the Supreme Court has ruled that  Parrish's judgement was rejected.  I have given you plenty of direction and opportunity to lead you to the facts that would show you that you are completely wrong on this point.  Could you provide anything at all that would substantiate your claim?

And the Speer application was merely to freeze his assets, this story is far from over.  He still has a 134 million dollar wrongful death judgement against him that he lost.  This case will be heard in a Canadian court.  Hate to bust your bubble, I know you were getting excited in your incorrect thinking that this thug was home free.

That will wait until after his appeal of his 'conviction'.

If it's overturned ... her lawsuit is moot.

I still don't get why only this one war widow is suing.

What about others? 

29 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

And I'm sure those children in Bangladeshi sweat shops volunteered to be there too...

A lot of them do.  If given the choice between working in sweat shops (which means food in their tummies), or hunger.....what do you think they'll choose?

If it will help you survive starvation - wouldn't you volunteer?

The problem with bleedin' hearts - they try to equate their charmed lives with those that are barely surviving.          Their priorities aren't quite the same as yours!

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

And sweat shop kids say how much they love their jobs.   What they really mean is "please help me just be a kid instead of a slave".  Yeah right....  they love their jobs!!  They may be children, but they can choose not to be there, right?  Just like child soldiers?

i noticed you skipped my child soldier question....

Well, he says he's remorseful now, and he wants to show Canada that he's turned over a new leaf.  He realizes what he did was wrong and hopes he can be forgiven for the damage he's caused.  I think a good start to walking this new noble path would be for him to honour his debt to Speer's widow and voluntarily give her the 139 million he owes her, or at least a 10.5 million dollar down payment towards rectifying his debt to her. 

• Like 2

Just now, betsy said:

A lot of them do.  If given the choice between working in sweat shops (which means food in their tummies), or hunger.....what do you think they'll choose?

You think that's a fair choice and the child should take responsibility for it?    or do you think we should try and help the sweat shop kids because they're only children and the choice between that and death isn't really a choice?

So a child soldier chooses between being there and what....? 

3 minutes ago, betsy said:

Ontario court denies to freeze Khadr's assets.  Says, no evidence that Khadr is trying to hide assets.       No surprise there.  The Lib wagons are circling around Khadr.

Are you accusing the court of bias?

That's a serious allegation.

Are you so sure it isn't just a reasonable application of the law?

1 minute ago, Spiderfish said:

Well, he says he's remorseful now, and he wants to show Canada that he's turned over a new leaf.  He realizes what he did was wrong and hopes he can be forgiven for the damage he's caused.  I think a good start to walking this new noble path would be for him to honour his debt to Speer's widow and voluntarily give her the 139 million he owes her, or at least a 10.5 million dollar down payment towards rectifying his debt to her. 

Even if he never pays the full amount of $134 million - at least, 10 million will help somehow. 

19 minutes ago, Spiderfish said:

Hate to bust your bubble,

You're certainly not bursting my bubble. This case has already been rejected "not a hard decision in law" and there is one more opportunity were it will also fail and then this case is over. Hate to burst your bubble.