Compensating Khadr

2 minutes ago, Omni said:

They did shoot him-during a firefight-in a war zone. People do get killed in firefights in war zones. He was sent to Gitmo at 15 years old, a place where 3 separate USSC decisions claimed that methods of interrogation were illegal.  He was tortured and then confessed to a bogus US military commission, and kept for 10 years total without access to any proper court. Bush said that was OK because HE decided that habeas corpus did not exist at Gitmo. It's not hard to find a strong basis for a court case amongst all that.

I know they did.  Not properly enough. 

1 hour ago, Omni said:

Because the courts have ordered it.

Just about all of our Canadians courts are stacked with liberal bleeding heart judges, and it isn't any wonder that the courts would be on this terrorist side. 

1 hour ago, betsy said:

How many among you Canadians, had the Prime Minister of Canada personally involved in helping you with your affairs?  The patriarch was involved in bombing!

Canada seems to be more allied with terrorists than being an ally of  the USA!

And we are all suppose to be proud Canadians and celebrate Canada's 150th birthday. What a joke Canada has become thanks in part to all those liberal supporting fools out there who want to make people like Khadr a Canadian hero. We have a PM that appears to like people like Khadr. He keeps bringing in more of them every year. What a guy. 

43 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Canada's.

Horse sheeyat. I didn't send him to Afghanistan. His father a terrorist who brought him up as a terrorist did. His father used this country as a patsy cover to operate terrorist logistics. Canada. Yah right. If Canada is responsible for him then he belongs in jail or better still shot dead. He was a terrorist pure and simple. No I don't make pets out of sewer rats..

Edited by Rue
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Omni said:

A reply one would expect from a PM like trudeau. He skirted around the question. So, it looks pretty much like Khadr is going to get that money after all. Trudeau just told us all that he will. What a guy. 

Edited by taxme

19 minutes ago, Argus said:

The whole Khadr family should have been stripped of their Canadian citizenship and expelled years ago. None of them are Canadians in anything but name. They've lived on welfare their entire time here, which has only been after their men were shot down fighting for allah abroad and they needed welfare and free medical care. But given the current state of Canada's government I wouldn't be surprised if Trudeau presented the cheque in person, on his knees, tears in his eyes as he issued a heartfelt apology, then calls a press conference to tell us what fine, upstanding people the Khadrs are and that he's agreed to bring their entire extended family over.

1 hour ago, betsy said:

I knew something like this will be happening, when the narrative was about Canada "letting down Khadr" to rot in Guantanamo! 

The federal government is not obliged to make a public announcement, but the news outlet are saying Omar Khadr is likely to receive 10 millllion dollars and an apology.  He's apparently seeking 20 million (and if I'm not mistaken, there's also a civil suit).   It could be more - we won't know, unless the government decides to divulge it.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/keeping-up-with-the-khadrs-a-family-tree-1.976666

Take note that the patriarch was already helped by Prime Minister Chretien! 

I don't understand why Canada has to issue an apology - and compensation to Omar Khadr.

If I remember correctly did not this present day PM of ours reverse what Harper did, and decided to give some of our Canadian jihadi Canadians their citizenship back?  

• Like 1

It's 10 million dollars that is going to get funnelled right back into terrorism.  This Kadhr family were never Canadians, except to receive health care for injuries they received while they fought with the terrorists in Afganistan.  The mother refused to live in Canada, despite getting citizenship, because she didn't like Western influences on her children.  Setting your children up to be terrorists is apparently far better than Western influences.  Je suis sick of this religion.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Rue said:

He should be in prison for life. The notion this piece of garbage gets any money makes me puke. This is an unrepentant terrorist with a family who endorse and support terrorism and he's given an obscene amount of money while the children of the soldier he killed suffers.

Ths glorification of terrorist scum makes me puke. That is all he is scum. This crap he was a victim child is everything wrong with this country's inability to grasp a world outside privileges and rights where everyone is entitled to something.

I love all the liberals who prop him like some cuddly teddy bear trendy cause.  How many Canadian soldiers have been forsaken since they came back from Afhanistan and they have the nerve to hand him this amount?

Our Canadian soldiers mean nothing to this present day liberal government who treats people like Khadr, and criminal illegals as gods. I have said it before and I will say it again, the liberals are well on their way to the destruction of a once great nation, and the creation of a new Canada where the likes of Khadr are treated as true and real patriotic Canadians.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Goddess said:

It's 10 million dollars that is going to get funnelled right back into terrorism.  This Kadhr family were never Canadians, except to receive health care for injuries they received while they fought with the terrorists in Afganistan.  The mother refused to live in Canada, despite getting citizenship, because she didn't like Western influences on her children.  Setting your children up to be terrorists is apparently far better than Western influences.  Je suis sick of this religion.

I am getting sick and tired of this country that treats terrorists and criminal illegal aliens like they deserve recognition for their hatred of and crimes in Canada. These people like the Khadr family do not come to Canada to become Canadian. They are like so many others who only want to get here to be able to suck of the host Canadians, and all the freebies that they can get from them.  

1 hour ago, betsy said:

He's apparently seeking 20 million (and if I'm not mistaken, there's also a civil suit).   It could be more - we won't know, unless the government decides to divulge it.

Yes you are mistaken. It is a civil suit and it was originally was for 20 million but as the leak points out it will now be for 10.5.

16 minutes ago, Omni said:

No Trudeau didn't tell us that. And in case you haven't heard, it's the settlement of a many year court case. Trudeau is the PM, he's not a court judge, or an attorney.

And Trudeau won't be changing any of this nonsense that is going on with the likes of Khadr any time soon here in Canukistan. Trudeau's title is a fool. 

2 minutes ago, taxme said:

And Trudeau won't be changing any of this nonsense that is going on with the likes of Khadr any time soon here in Canukistan. Trudeau's title is a fool. 

Let me try and explain this one more time: it's a judicial process, not a political one.

34 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

Canada signed on to the child soldier treaty (OPAC) and then ignored it...  nay...  not ignored...  broke it completely with Khadr.  Of course he's going to get compensation.   That has been obvious for years.

The so called child soldier treaty had nothing to do with the rationale behind the payment of compensation.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

Canada signed on to the child soldier treaty (OPAC) and then ignored it...  nay...  not ignored...  broke it completely with Khadr.  Of course he's going to get compensation.   That has been obvious for years.

The previous Conservative gov't pandered to right-wing bigots (like on this site) and just ignored the issue and left it for the next gov't to clean up.

Yup, all conservatives out there are all bigots. Typical liberal nonsense talk once again. So, was that the reason why Harper purposely lost the last election because Harper did not want to eventually have to deal with the terrorist Khadr affair? Who would have known? 

7 minutes ago, Omni said:

Let me try and explain this one more time: it's a judicial process, not a political one.

Yes I know but will trudeau try and change the rules where terrorists can sue Canadians? Canadians should not be getting sued, it should be the politicians who should get sued for their involving Canada and the Canadian people into their wars. Sue the politicians, not the people. Maybe if that were done, maybe then politicians would think twice and not be so reluctant to want to get involved in other countries wars of aggression. Hey, why not? 

11 minutes ago, taxme said:

Yes I know but will trudeau try and change the rules where terrorists can sue Canadians? Canadians should not be getting sued, it should be the politicians who should get sued for their involving Canada and the Canadian people into their wars. Sue the politicians, not the people. Maybe if that were done, maybe then politicians would think twice and not be so reluctant to want to get involved in other countries wars of aggression. Hey, why not? 

Which ah politicians would you suggest be sued?

5 minutes ago, Omni said:

Which ah politicians would you suggest be sued?

All of the politicians and their political party's that they belong too who get Canadians involved in wars that they never asked for. If Khadr gets his money then the politicians and their party's should pay him out of their own pockets, not me. I had nothing to do with what went on with Khadr and what he was involved with.  Our politicians created this whole mess with Khadr and they should be the ones who may have to pay off Khadr. We have to make these politicians accountable for what they do, and get Canadians involved in. Our politicians are way out of control and dam well do as they please without our permission. Just who the hell is the boss here? Politicians or we the people. 

Can't quote apparently...evidently a 'right wing bigot' is someone with whom you disagree. He doesn't deserve a penny and Christopher Speer's family deserve an apology from Trudeau.   

Even Warren Kinsella, the Liberal mouth piece sees things differently than Trudeau and his Liberals. http://warrenkinsella.com/2017/07/omar-khadr-and-christopher-speer/

Edited by scribblet
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, betsy said:

Excuse me, but this leaves such a bitter taste in my mouth.  Canada had given haven to a family of terrorists - and now, we're paying?

Whose fault was it that Omar Khadr ended up in Guantanamo?

It was Canada's fault that we didn't organize with the US for Khadr be returned home to Canada much sooner and punished, or at the very least demand he be confined in a humane US detention facility on American soil under US constitutional law as a Canadian citizen, with the humane treatment and due process of the law that comes with that.

Instead our gov was complicit in continuing his inhumane detention & treatment as an "enemy combatant" (which is a label used so the US doesn't have to live up to the Geneva Conventions) in the hellhole that was gitmo.  Gitmo is located where it is specifically to avoid US & international law so they can treat the prisoners like hell.  Where was his right to habeas corpus?  They let him rot in there for far too long without being tried in court.

Khadr and his family are a bunch of scumbags, and we can hate them all we want, but we didn't treat Khadr and his case properly.  Given he was a child at the time, and was a Canadian citizen, we owed him that much, we owed him the basic legal rights as a prisoner that any mass murderer or rapist or serial pedophile in Canada (or the US) are entitled to.  It's sad we have to pay out this scumbag this huge sum, but we're in the wrong here too.

Edited by Moonlight Graham
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Omni said:

Because the courts have ordered it.

4 hours ago, Omni said:

Where does it say he was ordered by the court?  It looks like the settled out of court because he was seeking $20m through the court.  My impression is this is an out-of-court settlement.

Edited by Moonlight Graham
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, capricorn said:

Why? What has the ordinary Canadian done to deserve such disdain on your part?

10 million is for compensating Khadr another 90 million, at least, should be the fine Canadian's pay for allowing their government to maltreat him so badly.

35 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Khadr and his family are a bunch of scumbags, and we can hate them all we want, but we didn't treat Khadr and his case properly.  Given he was a child at the time, and was a Canadian citizen, we owed him that much, we owed him the basic legal rights as a prisoner that any mass murderer or rapist or serial pedophile in Canada (or the US) are entitled to.  It's sad we have to pay out this scumbag this huge sum, but we're in the wrong here too.

We didn't owe Khadr anything. Khadr shouldn't even have citizenship. Just because you're born here to foreign parents doesn't make you Canadian, not when you're raised abroad.

The Canadian citizenship act needs to be changed to recognize reality.

• Like 1