Secularism under seige

Here's an account of what the Christian far right has in store for the States.  Written by a woman raised "To take back the country for Christ, we needed to outbreed, outvote and outactivate the other side, thus saith The Lord". 

The plan to save America for Christ has been plotting along since the 70s.  Mike Pence is the goal; Trump is part of the strategy and they have many pieces in place already.  

The ultimate end-game is to make America over in the image of an 18th century puritanical society.

How do you do that? Well, you overturn Roe v. Wade, Griswold v. Connecticut, Brown v. Board of Education and Bob Jones v. The United States. Each of these decisions currently protects reproductive rights or non-discrimination based on race. As retribution, you amend the Constitution to discriminate against queers, trans people, women and people of color. Then, you make laws legislating morality. The only way to do this is to infiltrate the government; so Generation Joshua, TeenPact and other organizations exist to indoctrinate and recruit 

She paints a pretty dire picture and believes this movement poses a serious threat to secularism in the States.  Its an interesting read, if not a little disturbing if one thinks Christians in Western societies are invariably benign.

58 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Written by a woman raised "To take back the country for Christ, we needed to outbreed, outvote and outactivate the other side, thus saith The Lord".

Sounds like what Erdogan wants to do with Turkey.

6 hours ago, dialamah said:

Here's an account of what the Christian far right has in store for the States.  Written by a woman raised "To take back the country for Christ, we needed to outbreed, outvote and outactivate the other side, thus saith The Lord". 

The plan to save America for Christ has been plotting along since the 70s.  Mike Pence is the goal; Trump is part of the strategy and they have many pieces in place already.  

The ultimate end-game is to make America over in the image of an 18th century puritanical society.

She paints a pretty dire picture and believes this movement poses a serious threat to secularism in the States.  Its an interesting read, if not a little disturbing if one thinks Christians in Western societies are invariably benign.

Hahahaha  :lol:

You forgot to mention gays!

Oh boy......

The US is doomed now.  They're going back, no matter what.

It's either with Christianity.....or with Islam.  Take your pick

Oh the fear-mongering.......the sky is falling........:D

Edited by betsy

This was in your article.

Which is only right......

HSLDAmission.png
Edited by betsy

If there's any shades of fascism around here this days.....it's coming from the Leftists!

The agenda of the left (just like in any other communist society), is to get their hands on our children, and indoctrinate them. 

Why do you think they're pushing for universal childcare?  They want to mould the children to their ideology from the earliest stage as possible - from the cradle, if they can!

Of course they hate home-schooling!  They want it banned!

Edited by betsy

2 hours ago, betsy said:

If there's any shades of fascism around here this days.....it's coming from the Leftists!

The agenda of the left (just like in any other communist society), is to get their hands on our children, and indoctrinate them. 

Why do you think they're pushing for universal childcare?  They want to mould the children to their ideology from the earliest stage as possible - from the cradle, if they can!

WOW! Paranoia seems to have already destroyed ya. Childcare allows parents to go to work to help pay the bills. Why Is that difficult to understand?

37 minutes ago, Omni said:

WOW! Paranoia seems to have already destroyed ya. Childcare allows parents to go to work to help pay the bills. Why Is that difficult to understand?

:rolleyes: 

That's the spin.  That's how they sell it.

Whom are they kidding?

If that's all there is to it....... then provide parents with more child care allowance, AND LET PARENTS BE THE ONES TO CHOOSE THE KIND OF CHILDCARE THEY WANT!

Another thing.......universal childcare is a financial nightmare.  Especially when they're all unionized! 

Edited by betsy

3 hours ago, betsy said:

Of course they hate home-schooling!  They want it banned

Are you or were you a home-schooler, Betsy?

Anyway the author of the article was home schooled and was raised to fight for an America under a Christian rule not much different than countries under Islamic rule.   I very much doubt they'll succeed, just as I doubt America will become an Islamic State. Still I'm surprised by the degree of planning and execution that they seem to have put into it.

33 minutes ago, Goddess said:

I say you should follow the advice you give anyone who is concerned about the Islamic State - it's only a tiny, infinitesimally small  group of idiots, maybe only a half dozen or so - ignore them.

As mentioned previously, I'm not concerned they'll take over America so I'm not posting hysterically about the Christian threat, the way some post about Islam.  Although if the US were to be overtaken by religiousity, I think its more likely to be Christian than Islamic.

But do find the degree of organization and planning interesting and thought others might as well.  

Well, I don't think you have to worry too much.  

They're not running around the world blowing up innocent people yet.  Ken Hamm's Creation museum thingy is pretty much a laughing stock to most of the country and frequently made fun of in memes and articles.  And I know many activists in the USA who show up in droves to political protests, including protesting these idiots.

^^^ If I DIDN'T see these things, then I'd be a bit more worried.  ^^^

5 minutes ago, Goddess said:

And I know many activists in the USA who show up in droves to political protests, including protesting these idiots.

^^^ If I DIDN'T see these things, then I'd be a bit more worried.  ^^^

That's interesting - I know there are anti-Trump and pro-Trump rallies as well as anti-Muslim and anti-Sharia rallies, but didn't know about the anti-far-right-Christian rallies.

I agree that the likelihood of any religiously facsist regime taking over in the States is slim.

3 hours ago, betsy said:

Another thing.......universal childcare is a financial nightmare.  Especially when they're all unionized! 

People who work pay taxes, and they bring home pay checks which they spend at least a portion of in the market place, so don't try and tell me it's a financial nightmare. Of course it would be nice if at least one parent could stay at home with their kid(s) at least until school age. Once they are off to school, why not go out and ply your trade?

Are you or were you a home-schooler, Betsy?

No.

Anyway the author of the article was home schooled and was raised to fight for an America under a Christian rule not much different than countries under Islamic rule.   I very much doubt they'll succeed, just as I doubt America will become an Islamic State. Still I'm surprised by the degree of planning and execution that they seem to have put into it.

Whether they succeed or not, is pure conjecture at this point.  We'll have to wait and see.......it may not even happen in our lifetime, if it happens at all. 

Mind you, that Christians will be persecuted is prophesied in the Bible - so, maybe Christians, having the seat of power in politics,  will not happen.

5 hours ago, dialamah said:

That's interesting - I know there are anti-Trump and pro-Trump rallies as well as anti-Muslim and anti-Sharia rallies, but didn't know about the anti-far-right-Christian rallies.

I agree that the likelihood of any religiously facsist regime taking over in the States is slim.

I didn't say "rallies".

I said I know a lot of activists in the US who keep an eye on government in the Bible Belt and often protest when a stupid law or motion or bill is presented.

3 hours ago, Omni said:

People who work pay taxes, and they bring home pay checks which they spend at least a portion of in the market place, so don't try and tell me it's a financial nightmare. Of course it would be nice if at least one parent could stay at home with their kid(s) at least until school age. Once they are off to school, why not go out and ply your trade?

Yeah, right.   This is being lobbied by special interest group - so, it's another politicized issue.

Provinces should be wary of Quebec’s daycare model

Konrad Yakabuski

The Globe and Mail 

Published Monday, Apr. 17, 2017

Proponents of universal child care take it as an article of faith that subsidized daycare “more than pays for itself” in higher labour-market participation rates among women, and kids who are better equipped for learning when they reach school age.

Despite study after study casting doubt on these assumptions, the universal-daycare lobby has largely succeeded in depicting the absence of a government-sponsored universal daycare system in Canada (with the exception of Quebec) as a great national shame.

Quebec’s attempt at creating a one-size-fits-all public daycare system is hugely expensive for what it delivers. It’s not a model any other province, starting from scratch, should strive to emulate.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/provinces-should-be-wary-of-quebecs-daycare-model/article34712943/

Edited by betsy

1 hour ago, betsy said:

Yeah, right.   This is being lobbied by special interest group - so, it's another politicized issue.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/provinces-should-be-wary-of-quebecs-daycare-model/article34712943/

No one is suggesting that universal day care should copy Quebec's program. The key is to learn from their mistakes. 

Which special interest groups are pursuing this agenda?  As far as I can tell it will benefit every Canadian family. The problem is lack of leadership to implement this. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2017 at 3:50 AM, betsy said:

You misunderstand, we need the children for medical experiments - to find ways to edit religious conservatism out of the human gene pool.

46 minutes ago, eyeball said:

You misunderstand, we need the children for medical experiments - to find ways to edit religious conservatism out of the human gene pool.

I think this will happen eventually.  Just naturally.

I read a book called "Why Our Children Will Be Atheists"  Quite interesting.

Since the 60's when contraceptives were invented the birth-rate has been below the replacement-rate of 2.1/woman in every western country. Very unlikely ever to get above that rate again unless there is some coup d'etat by religious fundamentalists.

Even though the third-world immigrants have birth-rates way above that 2.1 their rates also fall after a generation or two in a western country.

This may be a little off topic, but I think it illustrates the change in attitudes in America toward religion.

This is a verbatim quote from the Declaration of Rights; the first and largest section of the Constitution of Maryland (1867, last amended 2012).

Art. 36. That as it is the duty of every man to worship God in such manner as he thinks most acceptable to Him, all persons are equally entitled to protection in their religious liberty; wherefore, no person ought by any law to be molested in his person or estate, on account of his religious persuasion, or profession, or for his religious practice, unless, under the color of religion, he shall disturb the good order, peace or safety of the State, or shall infringe the laws of morality, or injure others in their natural, civil or religious rights; nor ought any person to be compelled to frequent, or maintain, or contribute, unless on contract, to maintain, any place of worship, or any ministry; nor shall any person, otherwise competent, be deemed incompetent as a witness, or juror, on account of his religious belief; provided, he believes in the existence of God, and that under His dispensation such person will be held morally accountable for his acts, and be rewarded or punished therefor either in this world or in the world to come.

So, you cannot be prohibited from being a juror or witness due to your religious belief IF you believe in God (in other words, atheists need not apply as jurors and witnesses in court).  I would imagine it's OK for Jews to be witnesses or jurors, because it says "either in this world OR the world to come." (Since Jews do not believe in an afterlife; and it says "OR" and not "AND".)  Probably it wouldn't prohibit Muslims, either, but I am not aware of any Muslims who participated in the 1867 constitution convention in Maryland.  (Though I am aware of one Muslim in the House of Delegates.)  Still, though.....wow....

However the only reason Article 36 has been retained is more out of symbolism than anything. In the election of 1970, voters approved the following amendment to Article 36:

Nothing shall prohibit or require the making reference to belief in, reliance upon, or invoking the aid of God or a Supreme Being in any governmental or public document, proceeding, activity, ceremony, school, institution, or place.

Nothing in this article shall constitute an establishment of religion (amended by Chapter 558, Acts of 1970, ratified Nov. 3, 1970).

Which tells me, that attitudes in America toward religion have changed drastically.  Religious "toleration" (or semi-toleration) is part of Maryland's early history, except for a couple of rather disagreeable periods, the longest from 1688 to the end of the Revolutionary War (about a century), when Catholicism was illegal.  The majority of Americans believed that religious toleration didn't include atheists.  Starting in the mid 20th century, that attitude began to change.  Freedom of religion includes freedom to be an atheist if you want to be.  I agree with this attitude.  I do not see religion as in any way "under siege" in the U.S.  The people who insist it is, those on the far-right, are typically those who have been scared into believing the hippies are going to one day rise up and slit the throats of all non-atheists.  Fear tactics like that are great for keeping your followers loyal; and the left-wing leadership in this country does the same thing (one day the religious right will rise up and bayonet the throats of all liberals/progressive types.)

And that's why I have so little patience for the politics of the far right and far left in this country.  Betsy, there are plenty of right-wing, religious-based special interest groups in this country.  They do plenty of lobbying on their own.

• 7 months later...