Tourism In Europe

betsy

Tourism is greatly affected due to the spate of terror attacks in some European countries.

A friend had to go to Paris for an unavoidable business meeting - and he stayed mostly in his hotel.  His wife who stayed behind in Canada, was quite worried the whole time he was in Paris.  The same concern is felt by others.

'We'd rather go to Moscow' Paris becomes tourist no-go zone after wave of crime and terror

PARIS has become a no-go zone for Chinese tourists because of rising levels of violent street crime and fears of a new terror attack in the French capital.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/755963/Paris-violent-crime-terror-Chinese-tourists-number-down

Belgian Tourism Industry Still Down After Terror Attacks

http://www.voanews.com/a/belgian-tourism-industry-down-terror-attacks/3488730.html

Terrorism Scares Away the Tourists Europe Was Counting On

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/30/business/international/europe-economy-gdp-terrorism.html

Imagine how this affect their economy?  How this must hurt, especially when you're relying on tourism for the economy.

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

I would say that is an exaggeration; after all the likelihood of being exactly in the same bus or metro-train the nutjobs want to blow up is almost like a negative lottery-win.

Having said that, people don't like Western-European capitals any more, especially London and Paris, because apart from their historical sights they don't feel like English or French any more. They are global cities and the real England and the real France lie somewhere outside the boundaries of those cities.

9 hours ago, -TSS- said:

I would say that is an exaggeration; after all the likelihood of being exactly in the same bus or metro-train the nutjobs want to blow up is almost like a negative lottery-win.

Having said that, people don't like Western-European capitals any more, especially London and Paris, because apart from their historical sights they don't feel like English or French any more. They are global cities and the real England and the real France lie somewhere outside the boundaries of those cities.

Exaggeration or not with reactions to terrorism in these places, the fact remains tourism is down.  It's affected.

If you're going to shell out a large amount of money for a vacation, wouldn't you consider all the factors that could dampen your pleasure, not to mention the likelihood that you could be caught in an unpleasant incident? 

It's like wanting to go on a cruise ship, and you know that there's one case of noravirus in that ship - will you still shell out the money and take your chances?

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

France’s Economy Slows After Paris Attacks as Tourists, Shoppers Stay Home

Already reluctant consumers shopping less in recent days and steering clear of restaurants and shows, raising concerns about country’s recovery

https://www.wsj.com/articles/frances-economy-slows-after-paris-attacks-as-tourists-shoppers-stay-home-1448315112

That was the result of 2015 terrorist attack.    Imagine the expenses of repairs and renovation, extra security, etc.,

Euro 2016 gave France billion euro boost to struggling economy

http://www.thelocal.fr/20170110/euro-2016-gave-france-billion-euro-boost-to-economy

Here's 2016.  They can do all the morale-boosting speech they do after each and every attack, but whom are they kidding?  Of course, it all adds up. 

That's the cost of having terrorists within!

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 2

I've traveled through various parts of Europe many times just to get to Africa or the ME and I never worry. I guess if you;re the type who wants to simply sit on the Sun Tours bus and drive around and then run back into the Holiday Inn then yeah, you're probably the type that worries too much. so stay home and out of the way of real travelers.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Every day when I step out the door in Canada, I'm at risk of something killing me - being involved in a car accident, having some nutjob, or a loose dog, attack me, falling, slipping and hitting my head.   I might have an unexpected heart attack or stroke at any moment of any day.   The chances of dying in a terrorist-related event is among the least likely of things to kill me, even outside of Canada.   Being so afraid of something that is extremely unlikely to happen that one stays in one's hotel room is irrational.  

Besides, what if that hotel gets bombed?   One would then wish they'd gone out for coffee. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, betsy said:

A friend had to go to Paris for an unavoidable business meeting - and he stayed mostly in his hotel.  His wife who stayed behind in Canada, was quite worried the whole time he was in Paris. 

Does your friend travel to the States?   Because while there were 2558 terrorism related deaths worldwide in 2016, there were 15,063 gun-related deaths in the States in 2016, none of which were suicides.  

In 2017, there have already been 2598 gun-violence deaths in the US, which is more than all the people that died due to terrorism worldwide in 2016.

It seems Americans with guns kill a lot more people than do terrorists with bombs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dialamah said:

Every day when I step out the door in Canada, I'm at risk of something killing me - being involved in a car accident, having some nutjob, or a loose dog, attack me, falling, slipping and hitting my head.   I might have an unexpected heart attack or stroke at any moment of any day.   The chances of dying in a terrorist-related event is among the least likely of things to kill me, even outside of Canada.   Being so afraid of something that is extremely unlikely to happen that one stays in one's hotel room is irrational.  

Besides, what if that hotel gets bombed?   One would then wish they'd gone out for coffee. 

I don't think you really understand the reasons or the psychological affects of terrorism.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

7 hours ago, Omni said:

I've traveled through various parts of Europe many times just to get to Africa or the ME and I never worry. I guess if you;re the type who wants to simply sit on the Sun Tours bus and drive around and then run back into the Holiday Inn then yeah, you're probably the type that worries too much. so stay home and out of the way of real travelers.

Hello?  I don't care what you think, or what you prefer to do.  I'm saying, tourism in Europe is down due to terrorism!

Edited by betsy
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, dialamah said:

Does your friend travel to the States?   Because while there were 2558 terrorism related deaths worldwide in 2016, there were 15,063 gun-related deaths in the States in 2016, none of which were suicides.  

In 2017, there have already been 2598 gun-violence deaths in the US, which is more than all the people that died due to terrorism worldwide in 2016.

It seems Americans with guns kill a lot more people than do terrorists with bombs.

It's not really about my friend. I only gave him as an example.  It's about tourism in Europe! 

Will you and Omni please re-read my posts.  Read the articles.   :rolleyes:  And get on the same page, will you?

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

I don't think you really understand the reasons or the psychological affects of terrorism.

Sure, it's to make people afraid.  And look!  People are afraid!   It's working because people stop thinking, stop being rational and become afraid of what is the least likely to affect them.  

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, betsy said:

It's not really about my friend. I only gave him as an example.  It's about tourism in Europe! 

Will you and Omni please re-read my posts.  Read the articles.   :rolleyes:  And get on the same page, will you?

Being afraid of the wrong things applies to everybody, not just your friend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, betsy said:

...Go read it again.  Take your time.....

Indeed, as American tourists with very strong dollars can be far more selective and are doing so.   Terrorism, refugee crisis, and civil unrest in Europe are distorting tourism patterns for Americans and other nationals.   Chinese tourists are staying away too.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-08-30/europes-tourism-tumbles-amid-terror-attacks-refugee-crisis

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3701556/Scared-Chinese-holidaymakers-avoiding-Europe-terrorist-attacks.html

Londoners got used to the IRA in the 80's, therefore they don't view the present threat any differently and unfortunately people seem to think that terror-alerts is a part and parcel of living in a major global city.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, -TSS- said:

Londoners got used to the IRA in the 80's, therefore they don't view the present threat any differently and unfortunately people seem to think that terror-alerts is a part and parcel of living in a major global city.

I doubt Tokyo and similar burgs fall into that grouping...but certainly some cities have what appears to be an acceptable casualty figure re: terrorism.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

On 3/4/2017 at 5:18 PM, betsy said:

A friend had to go to Paris for an unavoidable business meeting - and he stayed mostly in his hotel.  His wife who stayed behind in Canada, was quite worried the whole time he was in Paris. 

Living in unreasonable fear does that. Since there is a higher chance of dying from a car crash or getting hit by lightening, why bother leaving home at all?

Your risk of being killed in a car crash (one in 19,000), drowning in your bathtub (one in 800,000), or being struck by lightning (one in 5.5 million) far exceed your risk of dying from terrorism (one in 20 million).

Link

By the way, speaking of decline in tourism:

Donald Trump's 'Muslim ban' costs US travel industry an estimated $185m as tourism interest 'falls off a cliff'

Link

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Hudson Jones said:

Living in unreasonable fear does that. Since there is a higher chance of dying from a car crash or getting hit by lightening, why bother leaving home at all?

Your risk of being killed in a car crash (one in 19,000), drowning in your bathtub (one in 800,000), or being struck by lightning (one in 5.5 million) far exceed your risk of dying from terrorism (one in 20 million).

Link

We're not talking about getting killed in general.  We're talking about the effect of terrorism on tourism.  There is a decline in tourism in some of the affected countries, that's a fact.

By the way, speaking of decline in tourism:

Donald Trump's 'Muslim ban' costs US travel industry an estimated $185m as tourism interest 'falls off a cliff'

Link

Is that surprising?  The travel ban has just been in placed.  It's the uncertainty of how this travel ban will be like.....people tend to wait and see.  Once the dust settles, everything will go back to normal. 

Edited by betsy

20 minutes ago, betsy said:

We're not talking about getting killed in general.  We're talking about the effect of terrorism on tourism.  There is a decline in tourism in some of the affected countries, that's a fact.

Yes and if people were rational, terrorism would have no effect on tourism because they'd understand that being injured or killed in a terrorist attack is not very likely - they're more likely to die in a non-terror related plane crash on the way to their vacation destination.   You should read the link Bubber posted; it's pretty interesting.  

57 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

^^Then WhyTF do we bother with airport security?

Irrational fear.  Or, more precisely, politicians pandering to the irrational fear that they've also whipped up.   

Edited by dialamah
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 2