On Reputation/Community Ratings

betsy

I had requested for the like feature.....and I still think a like feature is good.  However, reputation ratings is a bad idea. 

By putting this kind of reputation ratings - MLF is actually enabling, and helping in the BIASED "assassination" of posters' reputation in this forum.   

How can you do that to your members?

You refused to put up a suspension and ban list as your way of protecting your members.....and yet you put up something like this? 

Why do you want to demoralize your members from speaking their minds, delivering their own style, stifling them to "sanitize" the way they deliver?  This board is so dead already as it is, and a lively fiery debates are what's needed to stimulate interest to attract newbies into signing in.  Why do you want it bland?

If it is the desire of MLF to cleanse this board of posters who doesn't share their views.....you don't have to go to this length.  Just say so that certain posters are better off to go elsewhere.

Edited by betsy
  • Like 4
  • Downvote 1

Community ratings does not reflect the real score.  I don't read everything!  Who reads everything?  I'm not in to the habit of giving likes even when I agree with what's been said - I tend to forget.  My mind is usually more into what I'm going to say, or rebutt, or argue!

There is nothing positive about having a cummunity rating, and if it's not even accurate - it does harm, not to say it's utterly useless!

Unless we all follow a particular poster (and conscientiously vote on every post he makes) , how can we accurately say that he has a poor relation with the community?  It's demoralizing for any poster to find himself with that red splash on his profile - and to boot, it's for everyone to see!

Edited by betsy

Uh.......I got a big surprise with this whole slew of notification, and when I saw my community rating today.  Thank you for those.  Must be for Valentine's Day. :wub:

Can I change my position on this? 

Maybe....community rating is good after all?

Just kidding! :lol:

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

I had requested for the like feature.....and I still think a like feature is good.  However, reputation ratings is a bad idea. 

By putting this kind of reputation ratings - MLF is actually enabling, and helping in the BIASED "assassination" of posters' reputation in this forum.   

How can you do that to your members?

You refused to put up a suspension and ban list as your way of protecting your members.....and yet you put up something like this? 

Why do you want to demoralize your members from speaking their minds, delivering their own style, stifling them to "sanitize" the way they deliver?  This board is so dead already as it is, and a lively fiery debates are what's needed to stimulate interest to attract newbies into signing in.  Why do you want it bland?

I totally agree with the above.  There are people now with 70+ points and it's really becoming nothing more than a silly popularity contest.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sharkman said:

I totally agree with the above.  There are people now with 70+ points and it's really becoming nothing more than a silly popularity contest.  

Says the guy with a measly 9 points...  <_<

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

I give them out randomly, usually using up all my 20/day.

I also broke my vow not to give minuses when I realised how ridiculous the whole thing is. 

I see you only have eight.  I don't know how many I have left today but you're getting them all.

Edited by bcsapper

I occasionally give an up/down to a particularly good or stupid remark, but mostly I don't bother. I use them how they should be used, in connection with the post and not the person. Unfortunately the system doesn't tell us by post how many up/down but just a total so we have no idea if a lot of people agree/disagree only what the balance is. The system doesn't really provide any value that I can see, but so what let people have their fun.

6 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

The system doesn't really provide any value that I can see, but so what let people have their fun.

True, it makes little sense the way they implemented it. Then you get the mysterious message "This is an experiment and might change in the future". My guess we are being used as lab rats for somebodies research paper.

By the way, who the hell firebombed me with reputation points since I entered the thread? A few minutes ago I had like 7, now I have 21. That's strange because I thought you can only give out a few points per day.

Maybe the admin did it... see what happens to the lab rat when you give it lots of treats...

Just now, OftenWrong said:

By the way, who the hell firebombed me with reputation points since I entered the thread? A few minutes ago I had like 7, now I have 21. That's strange because I thought you can only give out a few points per day.

From what I understand you can give up to 20 a day, I have never been anywhere near the limit so I am just basing that on previous comments. The other day someone gave me a bunch as well, but they were not for one post but several posts in the same thread. It appears that instead of evaluating the individual comments, people are just deciding to cheer on an individual contributor. Whatever, let the children play.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

True, it makes little sense the way they implemented it. Then you get the mysterious message "This is an experiment and might change in the future". My guess we are being used as lab rats for somebodies research paper.

Maybe the admin did it... see what happens to the lab rat when you give it lots of treats...

Me. I told you I was going to in  response to your earlier post. 

But it it looks like I didn't quote you, just said so in the next post, so you might have missed it. 

Edited by bcsapper

10 hours ago, ?Impact said:

From what I understand you can give up to 20 a day, I have never been anywhere near the limit so I am just basing that on previous comments. The other day someone gave me a bunch as well, but they were not for one post but several posts in the same thread. It appears that instead of evaluating the individual comments, people are just deciding to cheer on an individual contributor. Whatever, let the children play.

You have total 20 a day to give plus and/or minus - however, I think you can only spend 5 per particular member.  You can't spend all 20 on the same member.  I tried doing it, it won't let me.  

Edited by betsy

*If this is just for fun.....and we even have a "leaderboard,"  why not give a total sum for points accumulated in a day, then we can see how many points was earned tops for that day? .  Right now, all it shows is the overall total.

*If they're planning to keep this community rating,  REMOVE THE MINUS.  It's too negative, and it makes the ratings really dubious.  Anyone who sees somebody they don't like leading, can easily knock him/her down by bombarding him/her with minuses.  How easy can it be for same-minded members to communicate through pm and target someone they don't agree with?  The minus is the killer!  No wonder high-traffic boards don't have them.

*it's only fair to see the names of those who give plus points on what particular post.  Have the names of those giving pluses be posted below that post.  It gives us an idea who agree or shares with what was stated.

This forum has this down pat.  It even indicates total likes given:

https://www.debatepolitics.com/

I don't think they have a cap for how many plus you can give - after all, if you're going through all the topics, you're likely to want to give more than 20.  Boy, it's easy to use up all 20 in just one thread alone.

*HOW ABOUT GIVING VIEWERS/GUESTS THE PRIVILEGE OF VOTING, TOO?  Their names need not appear at the bottom of the post (it can just say "viewer," or "guest").  This might lead them to eventually sign up,  and want to actively participate in the discussion.

Edited by betsy

2 hours ago, betsy said:

You have total 20 a day to give plus and/or minus - however, I think you can only spend 5 per particular member.  You can't spend all 20 on the same member.  I tried doing it, it won't let me.  

Yes you can.  Or could.  Maybe they stopped it after I did it.  Yesterday I gave 12 or so to the same member.

I'll try and give you all 20 of mine later on today when they top up again, to see what happens.

27 minutes ago, dialamah said:

A couple weeks ago, I checked out what one could do and found out that I couldn't give out more than 5 negatives, or 20 positives out in a single 24-hour period.   I don't know if they limit how many you can give a single member.   

Indeed. This didn't go as planned, eh? Sort of like the election in the USA.

Why aren't I 50 points ahead??

• Like 1