Trudeau, Being Used As A Pawn?

Why all the hype? The way I see it, this meeting was relatively insignificant.  But still, let's have this discussion anyway (for fun)...

Going back a bit first ... Trump was elected because he created an image of change - a clear demonstration that Americans are fed up with the current establishment, and the status quo - while Hilary simply didn't do enough of anything (apparently).  Ironically, Trump promised jobs, money and everything akin; on a hunch that job security, greed and patriotism would distract voters from the fact that these promises are the status quo ... and he was right.  Then, to top it all off, he developed a plan that convinced a majority. Well done Donald!

Nonetheless, I believe that his approach is too one-sided, and is a slap in the face to supporters of globalization. As such, there is fear that the US may close its doors on the rest of the World, and the implications of this are unknown.

As for this dinner meeting between Trudeau and Biden, the Obama administration is merely reaching out to those who they think may be able to 'carry the torch' on initiatives that the Trump administration clearly will not. - Nobody is telling anybody to do anything; there is no "lackey". Trudeau (under fair council) will deal with these requests, to which the rest of the World will judge his decision.  If anything though, his decision to accept the dinner meeting with Biden shows Canada's character: listening to a friend in time of need.

Anyway, enough of this meaningless chit chat. :)

1 hour ago, AsksWhy said:

As for this dinner meeting between Trudeau and Biden, the Obama administration is merely reaching out to those who they think may be able to 'carry the torch' on initiatives that the Trump administration clearly will not.

Yes, that maybe the "innocent" case.    But, Trudeau should've distanced himself from that, given the acrimonious situation happening between the Obama team and Trump even after the election!  Trudeau is not just anybody....he's the PM of Canada!  His decisions must always be for the best interest of Canada.

- Nobody is telling anybody to do anything; there is no "lackey". Trudeau (under fair council) will deal with these requests, to which the rest of the World will judge his decision. 

Obama/Biden has no business making those kind of requests on Trudeau, knowing fully well that they're all practically contrary to Trump's platform!

Unlike Canada/Trudeau,  Obama and Biden has nothing to lose anymore - they're on their way out!

If anything though, his decision to accept the dinner meeting with Biden shows Canada's character: listening to a friend in time of need.

Canada's interest trumps anyone's needs!  If Obama/Biden  need Trudeau's shoulders to cry on - invite them on a private get-together!  Not a state dinner kind of affair that is political!

Edited by betsy

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

With his gun, or did he get it after he landed?

I don't know.  That's all I know.   They're still talking about it....but I'm on the computer. :lol:

I don't even know his motive.  Do you know if he's an Islamic terrorist?

Edited by betsy

6 minutes ago, betsy said:

I don't know.  They're still talking about it....but I'm on the computer. :lol:

I don't even know his motive.  Do you know if he's an Islamic terrorist?

I heard his name only.  Esteban Santiago.

He's alive and in custody, so one would assume his motive will become apparent sometime soon.

"Broward County Commissioner Chip LaMarca wrote on Facebook that the gunman had arrived on a flight from Canada with a gun checked into his luggage."  "He claimed his bag and took the gun from baggage and went into the bathroom to load it. Came out shooting people in baggage claim" .

Wow. He had a gun, and ammo with him on the flight?  Somebody sure screwed up at the security desk in Canada, if that's the case.

But more people are killed by falling pianos, so why should security be tight?

Edited by bcsapper

9 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

I heard his name only.  Esteban Santiago.

He's alive and in custody, so one would assume his motive will become apparent sometime soon.

"Broward County Commissioner Chip LaMarca wrote on Facebook that the gunman had arrived on a flight from Canada with a gun checked into his luggage."  "He claimed his bag and took the gun from baggage and went into the bathroom to load it. Came out shooting people in baggage claim" .

Wow. He had a gun, and ammo with him on the flight?  Somebody sure screwed up at the security desk in Canada, if that's the case.

But more people are killed by falling pianos, so why should security be tight?

I just heard the update.  He's an American with a latino-sounding name (Esteban Santiago).  His flight  came from Alaska with stop-over in Canada, and then Canada to Florida.

Edited by betsy

2 minutes ago, betsy said:

I just heard the update.  He's an American with a latino-sounding name (I can't remember).  His flight  came from Alaska with stop-over in Canada, and then Canada to Florida.

Ah, Alaska.  They probably won't let you out of the house without a gun up there.

Just now, betsy said:

They say you can board a plane with it as long as security people know that you have it.

Why would they allow a stopover in Canada if they know he is armed?  The US can do what it wants, of course, but I would kinda put my foot down there.

42 minutes ago, betsy said:

I just heard the update.  He's an American with a latino-sounding name (Esteban Santiago).  His flight  came from Alaska with stop-over in Canada, and then Canada to Florida.

Impossible - Cabotage.  It's now known he flew on Delta via MSP.

47 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

It looks bad...to Canadians.  

But you've posted nearly 45,000 times repeating how little America and Americans care about what Canadians think or do, so why are you even commenting here?

Edited by cybercoma

18 hours ago, betsy said:

Very true!  It must be why he welcomed and feted Biden on his visit, just a few weeks after the election.

Like all the rest of shell-shocked liberals all over the world, he must've been still in denial at the time that team Obama/Clinton had lost and now the world will have to deal with Donald Trump!  That's the only explanation I could think of why he'd go that length given the bitter divisiveness of the recent election result - like it was an impulsive knee-jerk reaction - without any thought as to the likely ramification it has with our relationship with the incoming administration!

Biden has made him party to poisoning the well!

Given his seeming appeasing message on this tape that he'd addressed to Congress......

.........we'll watch how he'll ballet and pirouette along the way,  reconciling his vision with that of Trump's. 

Clinton is not a liberal and not a progressive, you seem to be forgetting Clinton was a pro-segregation southern republican goldwater girl, long before she ever became a democrat.  She has always remained a conservative or blue dog democrat.  That was the clinton's entire appeal, southern white democrat who could appeal to other southern white democrats.  Up until Obama (who ran as a progressive but became very republican once in office), all of the democratic candidates who had won in recent history were southern democrats like LBJ from Texas, Carter from Georgia, and Bill Clinton from Arkansas. 

5 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

But you've posted nearly 45,000 times repeating how little America and Americans care about what Canadians think or do, so why are you even commenting here?

Because these two stiffs in a YouTube video "welcoming" the U.S. Congress is funny and begs for a thorough mocking.

2 hours ago, hernanday said:

Clinton is not a liberal and not a progressive, you seem to be forgetting Clinton was a pro-segregation southern republican goldwater girl, long before she ever became a democrat.  She has always remained a conservative or blue dog democrat.  That was the clinton's entire appeal, southern white democrat who could appeal to other southern white democrats.  Up until Obama (who ran as a progressive but became very republican once in office), all of the democratic candidates who had won in recent history were southern democrats like LBJ from Texas, Carter from Georgia, and Bill Clinton from Arkansas. 

I don't care what is said about Clinton.  Her platform is definitely liberally progressive!

If it walks like a duck, and it talks like duck, and it very much resembles a duck.....it is what it is, a duck!

8 hours ago, cybercoma said:

Why does it look bad? What Canada and Canadians do doesn't matter to Americans, remember?

Well it will matter if you see another nation grovelling before you - especially one that is viewed as a "brother" to the previous government.  Imagine it, had the situation been reversed! 

For one, that would mean a better leverage when it comes to negotiations, if not for just merely bragging rights, and the fun of watching soap.  What's going on with Obama and Trump (and Putin on the side).....is very much like soap.  Never seen anything like it!  There's always a twist practically everyday! Now, we're in it!

And it is humiliating for a Canadian.  I feel humiliated by that video.  From a very strong stance by Harper............to...to....to.... this?  What a bummer.

At least that's the way I see it. 

Edited by betsy

5 hours ago, hernanday said:

Clinton is not a liberal and not a progressive, you seem to be forgetting Clinton was a pro-segregation southern republican goldwater girl, long before she ever became a democrat.

Clinton was born and raised in Chicago. Yes as a young girl, politically active at age 13, she was a republican Goldwater girl. She became a Democrat when she was 21.