Which Colonizer Would You've Preferred?

betsy

On the one hand, I feel pretty lucky to have grown up in a country that was colonized by the British Empire. Overall, I think Canada, the US, Australia, and New Zealand rank pretty highly among the best places to live.

On the other hand, I sure would not have wanted to be the path of said colonization.

-k

3 minutes ago, kimmy said:

On the one hand, I feel pretty lucky to have grown up in a country that was colonized by the British Empire. Overall, I think Canada, the US, Australia, and New Zealand rank pretty highly among the best places to live.

On the other hand, I sure would not have wanted to be the path of said colonization.

-k

What would have been preferable?

10 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

What would have been preferable?

That's a tough question.  I mean, at least they didn't just frickin annihilate all the inhabitants when they arrived here, like when the Israelites marched into Canaan. But the aftermath of British colonization sure wasn't very good for the people who were here when they arrived.

-k

4 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

Given the choice, I'd prefer to be exterminated by the Spanish.

Really? Because that's exactly what they did. And enslaved the rest.

Britain preferred to not eliminate the native populations...it's counter-productive to Colonialism.

22 minutes ago, kimmy said:

That's a tough question.  I mean, at least they didn't just frickin annihilate all the inhabitants when they arrived here, like when the Israelites marched into Canaan. But the aftermath of British colonization sure wasn't very good for the people who were here when they arrived.

-k

Israelites...that's twice today.

4 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Israelites...that's twice today.

hmm?  I just thought of the most violent colonizations I've heard of, and that was the one that came out on top. I'm referring to the events described in the Old Testament, not anything in modern times, if that's what you're on about.

-k

Just now, kimmy said:

hmm?  I just thought of the most violent colonizations I've heard of, and that was the one that came out on top. I'm referring to the events described in the Old Testament, not anything in modern times, if that's what you're on about.

-k

If you think the Ancient Israelites were the only tribe on the warpath in ancient times, I have a bridge to sell you. Right in Kim-City!

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

If you think the Ancient Israelites were the only tribe on the warpath in ancient times, I have a bridge to sell you. Right in Kim-City!

Who said they were?  I just said it was the most violent one I've heard of. It's their own account, as described in their own book. Why is that upsetting to you? 

-k

Just now, kimmy said:

Who said they were?  I just said it was the most violent one I've heard of. It's their own account, as described in their own book. Why is that upsetting to you? 

-k

It's not. Israelites were good at the game called war.

Alexander and Titus, however, beat them hands down.

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

It's not. Israelites were good at the game called war.

Alexander and Titus, however, beat them hands down.

It appears they were kinder to the Israelites than the Israelites were to the Canaanites.

-k

Just now, kimmy said:

It appears they were kinder to the Israelites than the Israelites were to the Canaanites.

-k

Titus? LOL...right.

Big Al...different story. The Jews were no fools. They rushed-out to express their thanks to be rid of the Persians...Al said...spare them. The Philistines...not so lucky.

27 minutes ago, kimmy said:

-k

You should read up on Genghis Khan. He wiped out about 10% of the world's population.

Was on a walking tour in Valparaiso a few years ago and heard an Australian remark, "I'm sure glad the Brits discovered my country instead of the Spanish". That said, Old Valparaiso is an amazing place to visit and it was the best walking tour I've ever been on.

The_Squid would be proud.

Edited by Wilber

5 hours ago, betsy said:

Okay....let's be honest here:

If you can re-write history, and be able to choose your colonizer........ which people would you prefer?  Why?

(Note:  None, is not an acceptable answer)

I would pick as my colonizers the Trobriand Islanders. They live on some small islands off of New Guinea. The women run the society. Once a year men have to make an offering of yams to their sisters and mothers. Imagine if they took over the world.

They have one unusual belief though and that is they believe babies  are created by a ghost of an ancestor taking up residence in a woman's womb.

No problem for me.  Many women have told me my sperm is spooky. I can live with that.

Yah I go with them for sure. That yam ceremony sounds much better than Christmas.

Edited by Rue

Just now, eyeball said:

These sorts of who-gives-a-crap questions are probably what Romans fiddled with as their world was bursting into flames around them.

I think it's important to know which is which. I prefer yams.