Trump and Canada

8 hours ago, betsy said:

Trudeau vs Trump.  Bambi vs Godzilla.

That's how Kevin O'Leary described it. (CBC interview last night)

That is some brilliant insight by such a brilliant commentator...   wow...   poignant AND biting at the same time...   :rolleyes:

BC, Trump isn't going to treat Canada, especially Ontario, like the rest of the countries because  Canada spend  billions for imports from your country and with your national debt being in the trillions, the US NEEDS all the imports  Canada can buy and apparently from what I've been told Trump has told  Trudeau  he doesn't see any problem between the  countries.

18 minutes ago, Topaz said:

BC, Trump isn't going to treat Canada, especially Ontario, ....

Actually, Trump and Ryan are already working on a stiff import tax / tariff that will discourage inversions by U.S. companies.   Ontario will have to learn to live on less U.S. investment and exports to the United States.   Canada is no longer the #1 trading partner of the USA.

Canada should have diversified decades ago instead of relying on 75% exports to USA.

Trump is going to hammer Canada on softwood lumber too.

Border Tax

Edited by bush_cheney2004

3 hours ago, ?Impact said:

Canada is the #1 customer of the USA. Yes, you buy more trinkets from China, but they buy little from you in exchange.

Canada is far more dependent on U.S. investment and economy.   Trump has way more leverage than Trudeau.  

Canada can never win a trade war with the United States.   But it can boycott ketchup and corn flakes...that will teach those 'muricans!

Now this guy gets it....the party may be over for Canada's export economy:

...Even without Trump, Canadian exports are already in trouble. Between October 2015 and October 2016 Canada lost 19,600 natural resources jobs and 25,400 manufacturing jobs, despite a low dollar.

We now risk falling even further behind America with its pro-business president and free enterprise Congress. Bottom line: We have gotten used to competing with an over-leveraged, over-taxed and over-regulated American economy. Now, American capitalism may be returning with a vengeance. It will be hungry and fierce, so we cannot afford to be fat and lazy — or Americans will eat us for lunch.

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/pierre-poilievre-trump-could-be-about-to-take-a-bat-to-canadian-jobs

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Now this guy gets it....the party may be over for Canada's export economy:

Like i said winter is coming.  It sucks for us western Canadians that see this and yet we have the elite in Toronto and Montreal sticking their heads in the sand - I guess it's ok for them to have money and everyone else doesn't.  Must be a power thing.  What's worse is I bet they will still vote for the liberals in 2019 and then the bath truly begins...

On 1/14/2017 at 4:47 PM, blueblood said:

Except when the USA slashed its corporate taxes, red tape and decides to stick us with tariffs.  Have fun competing with that.  

You sound so sure that's going to happen - just like that.  

On 11/9/2016 at 6:55 AM, Argus said:

I don't think Trump thinks one way or the other about Canada, but I find it very hard to believe he's going to think much of Justin Trudeau, or vice versa. I think Trump and his VP are anathema to Trudeau and his entire cabinet. Trudeau or someone is going to have to sit on his people to keep them from making nasty comments to the media. Trump doesn't forget or forgive. 

Ironically, I think Harper would have gotten along with both him and Pence far better, particularly Pence, who is likely going to be by far the most powerful Vice President in US history. He and Harper share that evangelist stuff, and he and Trump would have respected Harper in a way they definitely won't respect Trudeau. 

This is going to be an isolationist government, and with so much of our trade with the US it's going to be important to try and maintain a good relationship, particularly in light of how vindictive and petty Trump can be towards perceived slights. It's going to be even harder because, no matter what he might say about wanting 'fair deals' in trade he has never sought fair deals with anyone before. He's sought to screw them over. Fortunately, Trump won't be in charge of much, other than as a general overseer. I think Pence will be the guy to deal with. Trump is not the sort to hold long meetings or read long reports. Pence will do that and verbally summarize what he thinks Trump needs to hear.

I don't think Pence is going to have much time for Trudeau either, though. Which does not bode well for NAFTA and other trans border agreements. I think the US is going to get even more heavy handed at its border because of the number of Muslims coming into Canada, and that Canada might also face heavy pressure due to its lack of military spending. In fact, Trump might want to make an example out of Trudeau in this regard. You can forget any sort of climate change legislation for the foreseeable future, which means Canada is left imposing heavy penalties on industries located here while no such penalties exist across the border. Which means even if NAFTA remains we're going to see a surge in relocations as industries move south to take advantage of the lower taxes and lower energy costs.

All in all, I see little good coming out of this presidency for Canada, other than that cross-border pipelines will be given the go-ahead.

I believe that Canada will have to start to think like Trump, and start to get rid of plenty of in the way of business rules and regulations that hurt businesses. Canada needs to start to think about more freedom, less government, and less taxes. Canada will have to start to think conservatively. There are many programs and agendas that can be cut or abolished. We can survive but we need to think like Trump does if we want to get along with Trump. There can be no other way out. It's join or die. 

The hits just keep on coming...now Canada's ex-PM Stephen Harper is reacting to Donald Trump.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trump-foreign-policy-stephen-harper-1.3942991

Never in my lifetime has a political candidate and now president-elect garnered so much world wide attention.

10 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

The hits just keep on coming...now Canada's ex-PM Stephen Harper is reacting to Donald Trump.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trump-foreign-policy-stephen-harper-1.3942991

Never in my lifetime has a political candidate and now president-elect garnered so much world wide attention.

So what?  Why do you keep posting links without offering something to discuss about the links?  

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Another Canadian wants her 15 minutes of fame and product promotion using President-Elect Trump.  

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/halifax-designer-amie-cunningham-project-runway-trump-bra-1.3941515

Can you expand on the linked article?