Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

So losing elections makes voters smarter ?    Must be a Canadian value.

Again, not what I said. I just said that winning elections does not disprove the premise of the thread. 

That said, one could argue that winning elections means the Dems are not as smart as they think they are. 

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Trump supporters are still dumb, but their saving grace is the even dumber people who didn't vote.

Yes. Elections are decided by those who vote. If only the dumb people vote then the dumb people get to decide who is in charge. And if they want to select a dumb person, well, tough noogies.

I'm sure calling Trump supporters dumb helped Trump. People don't like being called ignorant hicks, even if they, kind of, are.

That narrative is just as divisive as anything Trump did.  

Trump took states that had been Blue for quite awhile, it's obvious now that his message resonated with the grass roots. And the fact that Hillary didn't even set foot in the Michigan or Wisconsin showed a level of arrogance that is quite frankly appalling. 

She got what she deserved. 

Yes Impact and may I say this. We have a temptation in Canada to be smug about Americans and think we are so much smarter.

The fact is we voted in Trudeau. The man can't complete a coherent sentence any better than Trump.

We could easily call all Canadians who supported Trudeau too dumb to know they are dumb.

I am not about to write off Americans just like I don't want them writing me off over Trudeau.

People vote for many reasons. Many Americans used Trump as a protest vote not because they necessarily like him or what he stands for. They have that right. I don't knock any American who did not vote for Clinton. 

If people voted for him because they think he's gonna be a racist, bigot, etc., then wait and see and call it when it happens.

For now I give the Yanks benefit of the doubt and being fed up with b.s. politics.

Edited by Rue

On 2016-11-09 at 2:27 PM, Rue said:

The fact is we voted in Trudeau. The man can't complete a coherent sentence any better than Trump.

We could easily call all Canadians who supported Trudeau too dumb to know they are dumb.

Any comparisons to Trudeau are fatuous and ridiculous.  Trudeau didn't spend his entire campaign spouting one falsehood after another.  He didn't spend his campaign spouting outlandish conspiracy theories.  He didn't spend his campaign outing himself as a raging hypocrite.  And he certainly didn't spend his campaign demonizing racial minorities, Muslims and the media.  It's completely bizarre and an American shame that a candidate who ran such a lie-filled, hate-filled low intelligence campaign should be anything other than a fringe candidate. 

It isn't at all clear to me that Trump himself believed the nonsense he spouted; or that he is a racist or even a misogynist.  It's more likely that he is a raging narcissist; and quite possibly a sociopath.  I suspect he doesn't hate women, Muslims or people of other races; he just sees everyone only in terms of his own needs and desires.   There is no doubting that he is a self-aggrandizing huckster with a talent for manipulating people and promoting his brand. 

When he ran for the Republican nomination, he would have known that the establishment wasn't going to support him.  So, what's a poor billionaire to do?  He brands himself as an 'outsider', pushes the conspiracy dial up to 11, clothed himself in religious/social conservative views and, taking a page from the Hitler guide to political success, starts to blame all of America's problems on outsiders - Mexicans, Muslims, China and so on.  Most bizarrely is how a serial   Clearly, this type of branding isn't going to appeal to (or fool) everyone but luckily for Trump, it didn't have to.  He attracted enough of a coalition of racists, evangelicals, and conspiracy wingnuts to form a base.

But the common thread in all of this are what are called "low information voters". These people aren't necessarily stupid but they are grossly uninformed and not inclined to research or even think hard about information they are given.

We define low-information voters as those who do not know certain basic facts about government and lack what psychologists call a “need for cognition.” Those with a high need for cognition have a positive attitude toward tasks that require reasoning and effortful thinking and are, therefore, more likely to invest the time and resources to do so when evaluating complex issues. Those with a low need for cognition, on the other hand, find little reward in the collection and evaluation of new information when it comes to problem solving and the consideration of competing issue positions.

Our research finds that Trump has attracted a disproportionate (and unprecedented) number of “low-information voters” to his campaign. Furthermore, these voters are more likely to respond to emotional appeals — whether about the economy, immigration, Muslims, racial relations, sexism, and even hostility to the first African American U.S. president, Barack Obama.

So, Trump voters may not be too dumb to know what they've done but as a group, they are not inclined to figure it out.

8 minutes ago, Smallc said:

Yes, well, stupid is as stupid does.

Reality isn't a safe space for people with false beliefs.

It was certainly stupid of Clinton to use the "deplorables" comment. I bet she lost it right there.

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Since Clinton was favoured by a majority of Canadians who couldn't even vote in the election, it was readily apparent that Clinton would lose to Trump. 

Canadians heavily favored Barack Obama in two elections, and picked right both times.

-k