Dear Muslims: f this, f that. Signed, douchebag in Calgary

msj

Signs turned up at the university of Calgary today that were not very nice: https://shawglobalnews.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/anti-muslim-poster-u-of-c-censored1.jpg?quality=70&strip=all&w=720&h=664&crop=1

The gist is:

Dear Muslims,

F... your beheadings

F... your sharia

Etc etc link above.

The police are looking into these acts of intolerance.

Questions:

1) I have not seen all of the posters yet, but the one linked above appears to be used the most by the media.

Is it offensive?

2) why or why not ?

3) what is the purpose for spreading such posters? Will they convince people to want to f... Muslims or Islam or will they demonstrate that Calgary is a town full of ...?

4) if one happens to mostly agree with the poster - since all and any religious ideas should go f themselves on account of being bad ideas - does that make one an accessory to intolerance?

Or put differently, is agreeing with the sentiments of the poster sanitizing behaviour unbecoming of those in a secular democracy?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree with the gist of the poster, but it's typical of very linear, stupid thinking. "Yer with us, or yer with them".... Using such a broad brush with your "protest" is stupid.... like blaming all Christians for the bombing of an abortion clinic. These issues are more nuanced than the idiots who wrote the poster understand.

Yes, there are awful teachings in their holy book, but "Muslims" are not the problem, even if I don't like their religion. Muslim extremists are the problem.

Edited by The_Squid

Or put differently, is agreeing with the sentiments of the poster sanitizing behaviour unbecoming of those in a secular democracy?

There is a general prohibition of incitement of hate. These definitions can be abused by political actors to suppress legitimate expression of opinions, however, by treating all Muslims as the same these posters crossed the line into what should be considered hate speech. If the poster had stopped after the first 4 f*** and ended with a call for Canadian Muslims to stand up and vocally condemn these acts then it would be crude but legit free speech

I'm not sure if there's anything in the poster that reaches the level of incitement of hatred. Offensive, yes, but criminal? I'm not sure.

Regardless, this is extremely stupid and counterproductive. It's basically a huge slap in the face for Muslims who've adopted more western attitudes.

-k

I'm not sure if there's anything in the poster that reaches the level of incitement of hatred.

Yeah you are right. I read the law and it explicitly states that the incitement of "genocide" is a necessary requirement. Calling for people to voluntarily exile themselves is a long way from that.

I guess the best response is to condemn the gross generalization while agreeing that the 4 listed items are extremely offensive.

Yes, there are awful teachings in their holy book, but "Muslims" are not the problem, even if I don't like their religion. Muslim extremists are the problem.

There are awful teachings in their holy book. True. At the same time, there are awful teachings in the other major religions' holy books as well.

Edited by marcus

How was that demonstrated?

I think the fact someone is so angry about this but felt the need to secretly post printouts on the walls probably indicates the level of speech intolerance he or she is experiencing. I.e., they said in the poster what they don't dare say in and around campus for fear of being expelled.

Imagine someone going around putting up posters.....

Dear Catholics

F... your child molestation.

F... your forcing 10 year olds raped by their fathers to give birth.

Etc.

It would be stupid because the majority of Catholics in Canada don't support those things. Dare I say nearly none of them support that stuff.

The same goes for stupidly calling out all Muslims for the acts of terrorists, who on the whole target and kill other Muslims far more frequently than anyone else. Many of the Muslims in Canada, who weren't born here, fled from terrorists and radicals. So this poster lumping those survivors in with the animals is incredibly f...ing stupid.

I notice that the Muslim Brotherhood/MSA is involved in this affair. All bets are off re: who made them. They could well be behind it.

How is the Muslim Brotherhood involved? Please provide a cite.

I think the fact someone is so angry about this but felt the need to secretly post printouts on the walls probably indicates the level of speech intolerance he or she is experiencing. I.e., they said in the poster what they don't dare say in and around campus for fear of being expelled.

Only a douchebag would say those things. That person obviously knew he/she was a douchebag, so he/she sulked around in the dark like the little chickenshit he/she is in order to spread their offensive propaganda. No freedom of speech was infringed. If you want to be a douchebag, then shout your obscenities from the mountain top, and be ostracized from society like you should be.

Only a douchebag would say those things. That person obviously knew he/she was a douchebag, so he/she sulked around in the dark like the little chickenshit he/she is in order to spread their offensive propaganda. No freedom of speech was infringed. If you want to be a douchebag, then shout your obscenities from the mountain top, and be ostracized from society like you should be.

What do you think about their beheadings, their sharia, their genital mutilations, etc?

Or is it just the method of getting the message across that you disagree with?

What do you think about their beheadings, their sharia, their genital mutilations, etc?

Or is it just the method of getting the message across that you disagree with?

This would be the MSA's pledge of allegiance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRNCYRBBEu8

...nice and friendly.