Another Mass Shooting

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do find the Christian's constant stoning of adulterers as annoying as you do.

How many Muslim stonings have there been in American?

I fully concede that Islam is a long way behind the times, which is maybe why so many flee its abuses to America. And there is no doubt that some of the abuses follow. But Christians were pretty happy bashing gays just 35 years ago, and some still are.

Affect the evolution, don't force its retrenchment.

How many Muslim stonings have there been in American?

I fully concede that Islam is a long way behind the times, which is maybe why so many flee its abuses to America. And there is no doubt that some of the abuses follow. But Christians were pretty happy bashing gays just 35 years ago, and some still are.

Affect the evolution, don't force its retrenchment.

I assure you...living in Canada 35 years ago...we did not stone of adulterers or gays.

Thinking and doing are two different things. Every single Muslim could salivate at the thought of killing gays (as I'm sure many Christian fundies do), but the difference is that most don't act on it.

And most STILL don't act upon it. The number of times this happens is minor.

Sure this is a tragic incident, however, how many are killed in a day around the nation that is attributed to gang violence?

I know the big ones make the news, but this is peanuts compared to what is happening overall in the USA.

And most STILL don't act upon it. The number of times this happens is minor.

Sure this is a tragic incident, however, how many are killed in a day around the nation that is attributed to gang violence?

I know the big ones make the news, but this is peanuts compared to what is happening overall in the USA.

Islam isn't that bad...only 50 dead...this time. Gangs Christians kill that many daily too...

ISIS speaks for Muslims about as much as this guy, Southern Baptist Pastor Steven Anderson speaks for Christians. In this clip he calls the victims "disgusting pedophiles" and claims they deserved to die. Though he would rather they were executed by a righteous government.

ISIS speaks for Muslims about as much as this guy, Southern Baptist Pastor Steven Anderson speaks for Christians. In this clip he calls the victims "disgusting pedophiles" and claims they deserved to die. Though he would rather they were executed by a righteous government.

Except this guy is a nonentity, whereas ISIS has people from all over the world flowing into the middle east to join their banner every day, and others in countries like the US and Canada so inspired by them they are willing to commit suicidal attacks on infidels. Comparing their impact or influence is silly. And ISIS is hardly alone. There are similar Islamic groups, including the one in the Philippines which just executed another Canadian hostage. Not to mention the Muslim countries where homosexuality is punishable by death.

No True Scotsman.

Tighter gun-laws wouldn't have helped in this case because he had access to guns through his job anyway.

50 deaths is a drop in the bucket compared to the regular, every day gun murder toll. Orlando wasn't even the only mass shooting in the US that day. Still, do you think easy access to guns, including assault weapons, are a good idea? Do you think easy access to weapons plays a role in increasing the death toll?

It's not difficult. ISIS speaks for the Muslims it speaks for. Those who allow it to speak for them. Those who like what it says. The Pastor is the same. He speaks for those Christians who allow him to speak for them. In both cases they are not alone, nor do they speak for all. The numbers, as I said before, are debatable.

50 deaths is a drop in the bucket compared to the regular, every day gun murder toll. Orlando wasn't even the only mass shooting in the US that day. Still, do you think easy access to guns, including assault weapons, are a good idea? Do you think easy access to weapons plays a role in increasing the death toll?

Islam isn't that bad...only 50 dead...this time. Christians Assault weapons kill that many daily too...

You could say the same to the Black Lives Matter people. They might object. I would if I were them.

Still, as to your point about guns. It's too late. There is almost a gun per person in the US. Last count, last time I looked, etc. This guy probably passed tests similar to those I passed to own a gun, as he was a security guard. Even if he didn't, his neighbour/colleague/relative/schoolchum/etc had the same access and didn't kill 50 people because they were gay. He had other reasons. Not just, "I have the guns, I might as well".

Except this guy is a nonentity, whereas ISIS has people from all over the world flowing into the middle east to join their banner every day, and others in countries like the US and Canada so inspired by them they are willing to commit suicidal attacks on infidels. Comparing their impact or influence is silly. And ISIS is hardly alone. There are similar Islamic groups, including the one in the Philippines which just executed another Canadian hostage. Not to mention the Muslim countries where homosexuality is punishable by death.

Not 6 months ago, high ranking Republicans Cruz, Jindal and Huckabee shared the stage with Pastor Kevin Swanson at Christian rally where he called for the death penalty for homosexuals and praised the Christian nation of Uganda for enacting that very same law.

Does that influential pastor, or governors, senators and presidential hopefuls or Christian nation speak for all followers of the faith?

Not 6 months ago, high ranking Republicans Cruz, Jindal and Huckabee shared the stage with Pastor Kevin Swanson at Christian rally where he called for the death penalty for homosexuals and praised the Christian nation of Uganda for enacting that very same law.

Does that influential pastor, or governors, senators and presidential hopefuls or Christian nation speak for all followers of the faith?

That's bad. The equivalent, in Islam, is worse.

Oskar Schindler was a nice Nazi.

You could say the same to the Black Lives Matter people. They might object. I would if I were them.

Still, as to your point about guns. It's too late. There is almost a gun per person in the US. Last count, last time I looked, etc. This guy probably passed tests similar to those I passed to own a gun, as he was a security guard. Even if he didn't, his neighbour/colleague/relative/schoolchum/etc had the same access and didn't kill 50 people because they were gay. He had other reasons. Not just, "I have the guns, I might as well".

After the worst mass shooting ever, Australia solved it's gun problem. It's not too late. Guns kill more people than cars in 15+ states, that's insane. Gun laws have to change, attitudes towards the LGBTQ community have to change, the level of religious fanaticism has to change. Saying these are big problems and admitting defeat is not the way to proceed.

We have mostly agreed that Islam is a religion far behind the times.

But It is only 35 years ago that mainstrem Canadian society discriminated against gays, even as a point of public policy (Toronto Bathhouse raids)....

35 years ago the mainstream west was still discriminating against progressiveness throughout much of the world in favour of dictators friendly towards us. This kept Islam even farther behind the times and sowed many of the seeds of dysfunction that the world is now reaping.

How we address this is what we mostly can't agree on around here. The mainstream west still chooses to regard this as verboten.

Our ambivalence towards freedom, liberty, democracy along with truth and reconciliation and the difference between what we say and what we do still remains deeply embedded within the roots of the west's problems.