America under President Trump

5 minutes ago, hot enough said:

You don't have to do that, bcsapper. I appreciate honesty. And you couldn't have a mean bone in your body.

Sometimes I have to read what I have posted to realise it was mean spirited.  Most of the time I get to it before I click on the button.

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

I could never understand how the views of those who oppose the forcing of people to bend to the will of others are compared to slavery. 

It seems obvious to me that those who would force a woman to carry a child to term just because they want her to are the slavers.

And it has been widely shown that those people who would oppose a woman's right to make a decision as to whether or not to continue a pregnancy, are nowhere to be found after they force their decision upon her. And that's got HYPOCRITICAL written all over it. Pardon me if I didn't put it in ridiculously over sized colorful fonts with a few childish emoticons.

4 hours ago, LonJowett said:

Trump won because Russia manipulated the election enough that he could squeak through the electoral college with much fewer votes than his opponent. He's a fake president placed there by foreign interests and doesn't represent America or its values at all.

Says the guy from Regina.

4 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Says the guy from Regina.

Who seems to know of what he speaks. The WH has been in turmoil since day one, and really nothing has been done. Trump can't seem to get beyond whimpering about the fact he lost the popular vote. What a childish git. 

56 minutes ago, Omni said:

Who seems to know of what he speaks. The WH has been in turmoil since day one, and really nothing has been done. Trump can't seem to get beyond whimpering about the fact he lost the popular vote. What a childish git. 

The president has a lot more important things to deal with than the kind of crap you are worried about.

Just now, OftenWrong said:

The president has a lot more important things to deal with than the kind of crap you are worried about.

Yeah we've all seen what he's worried about from his ridiculous tweets. He's hilarious if you are on this side of the border.

12 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Evidently not or he wouldn't spend so much time on the golf course.

On 7/19/2017 at 3:55 PM, Michael Hardner said:

People may be finally waking up to this utter bullshit.  He's telling the Senators to not recess so they can pass 'the' bill.  But there seems to be only 1 vote for making it more draconian and nobody is trying to get moderates onside.  It seems very stupid to me.

The thing people have not woken up to, is you would have gotten here even if Hillary was in charge. How are people so easily duped? Just like I said with Obama when he was elected that he would be worse than Bush (but in different ways) and I said the same thing about Trump.  It's a steady decline of quality with every president since Reagan.

6 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

The thing people have not woken up to, is you would have gotten here even if Hillary was in charge. How are people so easily duped? Just like I said with Obama when he was elected that he would be worse than Bush (but in different ways) and I said the same thing about Trump.  It's a steady decline of quality with every president since Reagan.

Seems to be the trend all over the western world. I wonder why that is. My view is that truly talented and smart people don't want to get into politics any more because in business there is so much better money to be gained.

1 minute ago, -TSS- said:

Seems to be the trend all over the western world. I wonder why that is. My view is that truly talented and smart people don't want to get into politics any more because in business there is so much better money to be gained.

There was always more money to be gained outside politics. But in times past becoming a politician had a certain cachet it no longer does. It was a position of respect and influence. People sought out your views and were eager to give you theirs. You were a man of judgement and accomplishment (allegedly).

Now, not so much. Politicians are party hacks, saying and doing only what they're told, never speaking truth, never speaking plain, never speaking honestly. A generation ago politicians had more ability to speak their minds. Not any more. You are now presumed to be disreputable  and untrustworthy, and not only not an independent thinker, but obedient to the will of the party you represent. You are no longer your region's representative to parliament but your party's PR guy, suavely lying away the party's misdeeds.

Plus, everything about them is tightly monitored for the slightest misdeed. You can have a lifetime of accomplishment but issue one wrong tweet or put one questionable thing on Facebook or heaven forbid tell or laugh at an ethnic joke and you'll be destroyed. 

10 minutes ago, hot enough said:

Reagan was the supreme idiot. How do you people even talk of US presidents without mentioning that they have all been Class A war criminals/terrorists, the former as defined by Nuremberg?

You won't get arguments from me. But you have a problem with the top tier people making the rules. Goes to another thread, one set of rules for them, a different set for us. It's been that way for a very long time.

8 minutes ago, Argus said:

There was always more money to be gained outside politics. But in times past becoming a politician had a certain cachet it no longer does. It was a position of respect and influence. People sought out your views and were eager to give you theirs. You were a man of judgement and accomplishment (allegedly).

Now, not so much. Politicians are party hacks, saying and doing only what they're told, never speaking truth, never speaking plain, never speaking honestly. A generation ago politicians had more ability to speak their minds. Not any more. You are now presumed to be disreputable  and untrustworthy, and not only not an independent thinker, but obedient to the will of the party you represent. You are no longer your region's representative to parliament but your party's PR guy, suavely lying away the party's misdeeds.

Plus, everything about them is tightly monitored for the slightest misdeed. You can have a lifetime of accomplishment but issue one wrong tweet or put one questionable thing on Facebook or heaven forbid tell or laugh at an ethnic joke and you'll be destroyed. 

You are right, there was a time when holding a government position or public service position was respectful and noble. And you are right, they are nothing more than hacks now. However Argus, you are still quite partisan for the most part (and I use your own posts as evidence of that) and I would say I have some bias indeed, but less so knowing that both parties are out to screw you at the same time.

Your last paragraph seems to get celebrities in trouble (Michael Richard's for example) but for long term politicians, that does not seem to be regimental to them overall. Sarah Palin, in spite of her complete incompetence and ability to even speak properly still got her a good deal of limelight from the 2008 elections. I guess we are conditioned to look at the things they have done wrong instead of the things they did right. But I am not sure if the ratio leans toward them doing more good than bad.

People in those positions need to hold themselves to a higher standard. Mainly because these people got there by others voting for them. Those people are hoping that the person they voted for is going to take care of their concerns. We seem to have an insane amount of adulterers in government. Sure this is reflective of their personal lives, but it is also reflective if their personality. If sad politician does not give a crap about his wife, then what makes you think he is going to care about your concerns? They have no respect for themselves, and no respect for the position and no respect for those who got them there.

42 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Gotten where?  Healthcare on the verge of being removed?  International status waning?  

A proper healthcare system is the least of their worries at the moment. You would have this new expanding war against Russia no matter what. And yes the status would still be waning under Clinton.

4 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

A proper healthcare system is the least of their worries at the moment. You would have this new expanding war against Russia no matter what. And yes the status would still be waning under Clinton.

You would have the same media insanity over distracting things, this time driven by Republican supporters, over issues like her emails, her corruption and lies during the campaign.

President Trump presides over the commissioning of the new Ford class super carrier.   Trump loves these kind of gigs....

"American steel and American hands have constructed a 100,000-ton message to the world," said Trump, who arrived at the ceremony via helicopter, touching down on the ship's 5-acre flight deck.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-gerald-ford-20170722-story.html