Are Sexy Restaurant Outfits a Human Rights Issue?

Boges

But those restaurants are also not making their staff where ridiculously revealing cloth. Perhaps a Miniskirt or Exposed Cleavage. But the more important aspect is the attractiveness of the applicant.

I remember reading one woman's complaint was that the outfit is so short and tight that she was told to forego the underwear. There is no equivalence for male servers in the very same establishment where their outfits are sexualized. They all wear pants and shirts.

Why?

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember reading one woman's complaint was that the outfit is so short and tight that she was told to forego the underwear. There is no equivalence for male servers in the very same establishment where their outfits are sexualized. They all wear pants and shirts.

Why?

I'll agree that that's over the line. But, I don't think that's the issue here.

Why?

What other male equivalent would there be? A kilt? Would a restaurant be out of line for making a male employee wear a kilt?

Gender Roles, simple as that.

Hence, the crux of the argument. It's sexist.

Bringing up strip bars and Hooters has no place in this discussion. This is about sexism in the food industry. Not sex-niche

industries that serve food.

I've read it, now you've made me read it twice just to make sure.

They're talking about cleavage and skirts...and heels, i suppose. I didn't read anything about underwear.

Sorry my bad, it was in an article I read on CBC earlier. It's part on an ongoing investigate report they're doing. It was one of the young servers who said that's what management told her.

I'll try and dig it up later. I should get back to work. :)

Sorry my bad, it was in an article I read on CBC earlier. It's part on an ongoing investigate report they're doing. It was one of the young servers who said that's what management told her.

I'll try and dig it up later. I should get back to work. :)

Don't worry about it, I've already agreed that that type of request...or suggestion is over the line.

There is a big difference between dressing sexy and airing out the old woohoo.

In Mall of America last summer, there was a beauty salon that had an unusual staff member: a really buff young man wearing just his briefs, The women getting their hair done got to watch him ironing laundry in his underwear. Is that necessary for a hair salon? No. Is is offensive and sexist towards men? No. It was the job that was offered, and he applied for it. Don't want to work at a place that has sexy dress codes? Then don't -- go work somewhere else.

Strip clubs have different licenses than restaurants and I'm sure brothels will too. Nice red herring.

I don't think it's a red herring at all.

If it's a form of gender objectification in one place of employment, why would there be a distinction between the strip club and the restaurant? Why would the definition suddenly change? Or a night club vs. a restaurant?

Are you saying that objectification is OK at the strip club but not at the restaurant? What about at a night club? Where should we draw the line between the types of establishments?

And I agree that telling someone not to wear underwear is completely over the line.... but where does the line get drawn, and how?

There's "sexual discrimination" in many jobs, look at most any media, like TV shows, movies, magazines etc where looking sexy sells. Being at a restaurant looking at and interacting with a skimpy-dressed server is a bit different since you can interact in real-life with them, but the hiring process and dress requirements really really aren't that different.

It's a tough call for me I see both sides, but I think if you're given notice before you're hired about the dress codes and there's many other restaurants that don't have these dress requirements you can apply to I would say allow these "skimpy" restaurants to exist. You're being taken advantage of if they hired you with regular dress codes and then say if you don't change to an updated uniform and dress skimpier you'd be fired.

There's "sexual discrimination" in many jobs, look at most any media, like TV shows, movies, magazines etc where looking sexy sells. Being at a restaurant looking at and interacting with a skimpy-dressed server is a bit different since you can interact in real-life with them, but the hiring process and dress requirements really really aren't that different.

It's a tough call for me I see both sides, but I think if you're given notice before you're hired about the dress codes and there's many other restaurants that don't have these dress requirements you can apply to I would say allow these "skimpy" restaurants to exist. You're being taken advantage of if they hired you with regular dress codes and then say if you don't change to an updated uniform and dress skimpier you'd be fired.

The problem is that most of the classier restaurants (earls, milestones etc) are the bulk of the good server jobs so women are resigned to dress as sluts in order to land a good server job. If all these restaurants adopted a more classy work environment then women wouldn't have to dress like a slut. It takes a combined effort on the part of all restaurants to eliminate these sexualized dress codes.

Further to that, young women don't like dressing as sluts in order to garner more tips.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

The problem is that most of the classier restaurants (earls, milestones etc) are the bulk of the good server jobs so women are resigned to dress as sluts in order to land a good server job. If all these restaurants adopted a more classy work environment then women wouldn't have to dress like a slut. It takes a combined effort on the part of all restaurants to eliminate these sexualized dress codes.

You use the word "sluts", but how many waitresses like to dress that way at work? I'd say the vast majority of them.

The Hooters girls wear shorts and tank top - is this slut wear?

You use the word "sluts", but how many waitresses like to dress that way at work? I'd say the vast majority of them.

No they don't. Serving drinks while men ogle your breasts and ogle your thighs as you walk away is not a pleasant work environment. Remember that these are young women working their way through college and university. What kind of a message are we sending to these young women and the families. These are family restaurants.

Further to that, young women don't like dressing as sluts in order to garner more tips.

I do not agree with the term "slut"

If a guy sleeps with a bunch of girls he is respected or at the very least accepted while a woman is looked down upon.

I don't see it that way. I just think she will be good at it.

If you apply for a job at Hooters you should have enough sense to know what the uniforms are.

I do not agree with the term "slut"

If a guy sleeps with a bunch of girls he is respected or at the very least accepted while a woman is looked down upon.

I don't see it that way. I just think she will be good at it.

If you apply for a job at Hooters you should have enough sense to know what the uniforms are.

We are talking about restaurants like moxies, earls, milestones etc.

What is she good at? Displaying her breasts?

Edited by WestCoastRunner

Wtf?

LOL....Could not resist.

In the article it say's Hooters has not replied with a statement.

How can you have the same uniform since the doors were open and it is made very clear what the waitresses are dressed like and call that a human violation?

Or are these girls even employed as waitresses?

Disney use to call their employee's cast members to control the appearance of the staff

LOL....Could not resist.

In the article it say's Hooters has not replied with a statement.

How can you have the same uniform since the doors were open and it is made very clear what the waitresses are dressed like and call that a human violation?

Or are these girls even employed as waitresses?

Disney use to call their employee's cast members to control the appearance of the staff

Do you even comprehend the posts here and the article posted?

No they don't. Serving drinks while men ogle your breasts and ogle your thighs as you walk away is not a pleasant work environment. Remember that these are young women working their way through college and university. What kind of a message are we sending to these young women and the families. These are family restaurants.

What posses you to make a comment like this? It makes no sense. I'm sure some are educating themselves, and i'm sure many are not. I'm sure many of these girls are waitressing to simply earn as much money in the day as she can - like most everyone else.

I could make the argument that the girls who work at these places do so because they know that with their looks and body, they can rake in more money than if they work at a "white spot". And, therefore choose to work at Moxies or whatever.

As for the "message", here's a good message; "look daughter, if you don't want to wait tables dressed in a skimpy outfit - get an education".