Are Sexy Restaurant Outfits a Human Rights Issue?

Boges

What posses you to make a comment like this? It makes no sense. I'm sure some are educating themselves, and i'm sure many are not. I'm sure many of these girls are waitressing to simply earn as much money in the day as she can - like most everyone else.

I could make the argument that the girls who work at these places do so because they know that with their looks and body, they can rake in more money than if they work at a "white spot". And, therefore choose to work at Moxies or whatever.

As for the "message", here's a good message; "look daughter, if you don't want to wait tables dressed in a skimpy outfit - get an education".

I agree that young women can certainly capitalize on their looks but that doesn't mean they need to expose cleavage or thighs while working their way through college or university.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course. Young women with hot bodies are smart too

I'm sure some are. I also know for a fact that most of these waitresses are just working for their daily pay and want to make as much as possible for their days work. Most of them are paying their rent, their car and doing a little partying after work - and are looking no further down the road than that. Good job, good tips, little to no education needed.

Why would an attractive woman want to work at white spot and make less - way less for doing the exact same job as someone working at Hooters or Twin Peaks. I guarantee you that given the option, most girls would choose the push-up bra, skirt and big tips over the sport bra, sneakers and low tips.

As I said earlier; people generally do what works for them.

Edited by Hal 9000

I'm sure some are. I also know for a fact that most of these waitresses are just working for their daily pay and want to make as much as possible for their days work. Most of them are paying their rent, their car and doing a little partying after work - and are looking no further down the road than that. Good job, good tips, little to no education needed.

Why would an attractive woman want to work at white spot and make less - way less for doing the exact same job as someone working at Hooters or Twin Peaks. I guarantee you that given the option, most girls would choose the push-up bra, skirt and big tips over the sport bra, sneakers and low tips.

As I said earlier; people generally do what works for them.

Yes I see that you are not in favour of this article. I get it.

Especially since for the most part, this is how most of these girls dress outside of their job too.

Possibly... but I wouldn't look at a pretty girl showing cleavage and assume she's a slut. That's just rude.

Yes it is but how else do you draw attention to this issue. I grabbed attention did I not?

Weren't we discussing the issue already? You didn't need to say that unless that's actually how you view these people. It's mean and prudish.

Now this is simply trolling for reactions. It's disgusting. I'm done here.

No, I'm serious! Hooters is tank top, shorts and leggings - no belly button showing. Twin Peaks is Cargo shorts with plaid shirt tied to show belly button, Moxies is generally just whatever she has as long as it's black and looks good. I've seen many Moxie girls, some wear shoes, some boots, some skirts, some pants whatever...

Possibly... but I wouldn't look at a pretty girl showing cleavage and assume she's a slut. That's just rude.

Weren't we discussing the issue already? You didn't need to say that unless that's actually how you view these people. It's mean and prudish.

You are missing the point! Why should a young woman show cleavage or thighs in order to make a living? These working conditions are humiliating and dangerous for young women. Why would any man encourage this?

Why don't we as a society remove these working conditions As a father, don't you think you owe society to improve working conditions for young women?

You're assuming that the work conditions are bad, I say they're not. I worry more about the fact that some of them have bare legs in a kitchen - now, that's a cause I could get behind.

I say, these are adult women, making an adult choice to dress and work and make the best money they can. Like was mentioned earlier, when women apply at an establishment, they know exactly what the dress standards are.

For somebody always concerned for women's rights, you sure want to take away those rights quickly enough. Are you suggesting that women aren't smart enough or capable of making their own decisions, that we need to bring in a law telling them what they can and can't wear to work?

First, whatever 'sexy' means I'm glad we all agree it should leave room for underwear.

Second, I don't agree about the use of the word slutty to describe women's clothes. Slut has a terrible connotation and as Ash pointed out it's sexist. I hate that word.

Third, Squid, I agree it's a fine line. Bars and nightclubs are not part of this investigative report. From my understanding these are casual upscale restaurant chains. As I'm sure you know these restaurants have the most earning ability for young people who are not qualified for fine dining.

Lastly, I think we may all be talking about different things. Asking young women to wear short skirts, low top or high heels should not be a *requirement*. I think that's there part that's been misunderstood (if I'm understanding things correctly). Men are not *required* to show their bodies for these high paying restaurant jobs so why should their women counterparts be required to do so. Requiring high heels should definitely be a no no for a job where you're walking for long hours.

Final disclaimer - please remember the discussion is casual upscale, not Hooters or strip bars which happen to serve food.

Ok WCR, here's the breakdown; I've argued many issues with you and you you're all about women's empowerment, from the stampede slut to naked little girls at the pool to Caitlyn Jenner it's always about the strength and empowerment of women. Yet here you are trying to stop women from dressing provocatively at work - calling it slutty. If I trashed what these women were/are wearing in downtown Vancouver, and called it slutty, you'd be all over me with "what right do you have telling her how to dress".

So...the issue we have he is simple, you don't really care how they dress, you care only that they are told how they should dress - you're presuming that it's a man telling a young female how to dress...and that they are dressing that way presumably for the benefit of other men - and that burns you. That is probably what burns the woman who instigated the topic too.

So...The law that you'd like is a law that states that no man should ever dictate or even question what a woman is wearing.

Edited by Hal 9000

You are missing the point! Why should a young woman show cleavage or thighs in order to make a living? These working conditions are humiliating and dangerous for young women. Why would any man encourage this?

They don't have too

Edited by Boges

Final disclaimer - please remember the discussion is casual upscale, not Hooters or strip bars which happen to serve food.

I think I agree with everything in your post... but I'm still not sure why the line is drawn at casual upscale and not Hooters or night clubs...

I think I agree with everything in your post... but I'm still not sure why the line is drawn at casual upscale and not Hooters or night clubs...

I don't agree with the sexy dress for minors - of course!

That said, I don't find Hooters outfits to be sexy dress, and as i mentioned, Moxies girls can dress nice without being sexy.

In Mall of America last summer, there was a beauty salon that had an unusual staff member: a really buff young man wearing just his briefs, The women getting their hair done got to watch him ironing laundry in his underwear. Is that necessary for a hair salon? No. Is is offensive and sexist towards men? No. It was the job that was offered, and he applied for it. Don't want to work at a place that has sexy dress codes? Then don't -- go work somewhere else.

And it stood out to you because it was so far out of the ordinary, while waitresses wearing high heels, mini skirt, and showing cleavage is expected in s many places that they don't stand out when they do.

I'm a pretty decent tipper, but for service. I don't mind it.

I'm late to this thread and I can't read it all so someone might have already brought this up, but one thing I hate about these establishments, sports bars with sexily dressed waitresses, is that they touch you. They think it's okay to squeeze a shoulder or put a hand on a forearm, and call you Hon.

Ugh. Still, if the beer's good...

Me too but I have yet to see a place where male servers are expected to dress nearly naked. They're always dressed in shirts and pants...

That's because the sexiest clothing for a man to wear is not something revealing, or so the women i know tell me. Women would not want to see a bar or restaurant where the male wait staff wore supertight or revealing clothes. It's not, in our culture, considered very masculine. Most of the women i know would snigger and giggle at a guy dressed like that. On the other hand, let's face it, guys are into looking, and the female wait staff who are attractive and sexy tend to get better tips.