Nancy Reagan has died

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember being a young teenager when Nancy Reagan promoted her campaigns of denial abstinence when it comes to sex and drugs. To this day I prefer education over abstinence and I did not flip at all when I became a parent. Her policies are still as much of a joke to me as they were when I was 14.

I honestly can't believe the coverage she's getting today, I don't remember anything of the sort for any previous First Lady.

I remember being a young teenager when Nancy Reagan promoted her campaigns of denial abstinence when it comes to sex and drugs. To this day I prefer education over abstinence and I did not flip at all when I became a parent. Her policies are still as much of a joke to me as they were when I was 14.

Nice....kick a dead woman. Abstinence is still a very good option for many young people, even with education.

I honestly can't believe the coverage she's getting today, I don't remember anything of the sort for any previous First Lady.

Then you don't remember the attention given Jackie Kennedy Onassis, who died in 1994. President Bill Clinton gave the eulogy at Arlington.

And that's OK....it was in the United States.

Nice....kick a dead woman. Abstinence is still a very good option for many young people, even with education.

Then you don't remember the attention given Jackie Kennedy Onassis, who died in 1994. President Bill Clinton gave the eulogy at Arlington.

And that's OK....it was in the United States.

I remember her death, was televised here on CBC too. It was a big deal. And I bet her death will continue to be the most covered of all the First Lady's.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

As a parent, I think that abstinence is always a good choice for young people, no doubt about it. Why would you think otherwise?

It's wishful thinking. It's better to teach them the difference between hard and soft drugs than to lump them all together as 'drugs' and say don't do them. Especially when most of their friends are going to be trying soft drugs.

It's better to teach them about self respect and birth control and to just say don't have sex. They're curious and everyone around them is doing it so why not talk to them about it.

Abstinence is a form of denial.

It's wishful thinking. It's better to teach them the difference between hard and soft drugs than to lump them all together as 'drugs' and say don't do them. Especially when most of their friends are going to be trying soft drugs.

It's better to teach them about self respect and birth control and to just say don't have sex. They're curious and everyone around them is doing it so why not talk to them about it.

Abstinence is a form of denial.

I don't think anyone is saying to deny them an education in these matters. Even with all this knowledge, abstinence is still the safest form against pregnancies, std's, hiv etc. As far as drugs go, young people should continue to be taught 'just say no'.

I don't think anyone is saying to deny them an education in these matters. Even with all this knowledge, abstinence is still the safest form against pregnancies, std's, hiv etc. As far as drugs go, young people should continue to be taught 'just say no'.

Denying education about these things IS conservative mantra. Look at how much Obama was criticized for taking that approach and the campaign was supposed to help prevent sexual abuse.

As for my approach, I'm certainly not going to tell my kid to not have sex or to not try drugs, I'd rather teach her how to do both responsibly.

Denying education about these things IS conservative mantra. Look at how much Obama was criticized for taking that approach and the campaign was supposed to help prevent sexual abuse.

As for my approach, I'm certainly not going to tell my kid to not have sex or to not try drugs, I'd rather teach her how to do both responsibly.

Yep, teaching kids to try drugs, great idea! LOL! Lemme axe you this: Would you rather that your kids try cocaine or never try cocaine?

Edited by sharkman

Agreed....education often results in abstinence anyway. Would they "educate" on the safe teen use of hand guns...no way...abstinence !

You can't teach a young child to use responsibly once addiction has set in.

You really teach your daughter how to do drugs and have sex "responsibly"? WoW - thats MOtY material!

Edited by Hal 9000

I think your confusing my responses. I'm not against education. To bring this back to the OP. NR was a very moderate republican especially by today's standards.

You can't teach a young child to use responsibly once addiction has set in.

I was talking teaching them the difference soft and hard drugs instead of 'don't do drugs'. In countries where the distinction is made there is a difference in attitude about hard drugs and kids abstain more intuitively.

Edited by BC_chick

Nancy Reagan, Dr. Everett Koop (U.S. Surgeon General), and others helped to develop public policy during the initial HIV/AIDS epidemic in the United States. Even son Ron Reagan was watching his friends die from the disease.

I believe she also influenced her husband with her moderate views.