The Free Press, what is it and do we have it in Canada?

Hoser360

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree he has blundered now and then and had to back track on what he has said. But still a lot of what he says and others at The Rebel has gone thru with flying colors. Hey, Ezra is not perfect but who is? I would prefer to listen to an alternative media outlet like The Rebel rather than the mainstream media whom are very one-sided on many issues. The media is well known for making an honest person look like a liar if they don't like what they are hearing from that honest person. Try speaking politically incorrect out in public square and see what the media can do to someone.

I agree Levant is a blowhard and often hypes up an issue but for the most part he does report on a lot that the MSM will not. e.g. the cost of the climate conference through documents obtained via FOI. As far as I know, no other outlet questioned the cost or asked for documents, had this been Harper we know they would have done so. It would be better if he reported an issue in a more straight forward manner without hyperventilating about it, but at least we do get to see another side of an issue that we wouldn't otherwise see.

Did he say he would never be one? I once stated under oath that I was 17, but I'm not now.

ya, ya... one of your last related posts had you, apparently, reading the mind of the 'Rebel Commander'. Are you suggesting/implying that his under-oath claim was simply one of defamation defense convenience? Can you supply a quote where he states his under-oath claim is no longer relevant... in effect? - a quote where he actually now claims he's a journalist? Cause... like... wanting to be taken as a serious/legitimate journalist sure puts a damper on using a futures defamation defense of "blowhardiness... no one takes what I say seriously... I was just funnin"!

ya, ya... one of your last related posts had you, apparently, reading the mind of the 'Rebel Commander'. Are you suggesting/implying that his under-oath claim was simply one of defamation defense convenience? Can you supply a quote where he states his under-oath claim is no longer relevant... in effect? - a quote where he actually now claims he's a journalist? Cause... like... wanting to be taken as a serious/legitimate journalist sure puts a damper on using a futures defamation defense of "blowhardiness... no one takes what I say seriously... I was just funnin"!

I didn't read his mind, I said he might have changed it. Maybe he wasn't and is now. Maybe in the future he might decide to not be one again. I won't lose any sleep over it.

I have Ezra Levant on Twitter.

Here is only one example:

https://twitter.com/ezralevant/status/674402162810740738

Ezra Levant has been caught lying more than once.

Uh, what was the lie? Anyway, it's twitter. Twitter is for dumb, sarcastic statements, not journalistic reporting.

Unlike the CBC, Fox News is not a state controlled broadcaster.

please sir! You've been corrected on this over and over again... you continue to purposely conflate "state media" with "public sector media". You do realize they are not one and the same, right? Of course you do - you've been presented with the distinction many times over. And yet you persist - it's one of your favourite go-to's!

by continuing to falsely make this claim about the CBC being a, as you say, "state controlled broadcaster", you purposely are simply adding a nuisance value while contributing nothing useful.

Edited by waldo

Who cares? It's still a propaganda outlet for the far right wing of the Republican Party.

Perfectly legal and something to be celebrated in a nation with free speech/press rights. Canada fails the test again with this latest stunt.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Uh, what was the lie? Anyway, it's twitter. Twitter is for dumb, sarcastic statements, not journalistic reporting.

Twitter is where Ezra pumps his slanderous libellous 'media' organization. If you don't see the blatant dishonesty in what he said though, I can't help you.

Frankly, I get a little tired of gratuitous, drive-by smears of CBC. They have received numerous awards for journalistic excellence, in spite of continual right-wing-motivated cutbacks.

It's not the cbc's fault for reporting that reality has a liberul bias...it is what it is.

Twitter is where Ezra pumps his slanderous libellous 'media' organization. If you don't see the blatant dishonesty in what he said though, I can't help you.

If you can't see the difference between a comment on Twitter and whatever magazine, news organization or report he issues then you're the one who could use a little help.

If you can't see the difference between a comment on Twitter and whatever magazine, news organization or report he issues then you're the one who could use a little help.

His 'reports' are no better. There's a reason he's been sued and lost over his reporting. He's not a journalist by any stretch of the imagination.

Since this was my first posted topic I'd like to say the following.

Well, wow, I've found a topic of some worthy debate it seems. I have just gone through all of the posts and would like to add the following. Please feel free to correct me if I've got'tin something wrong.

Fact..?

The person from 'The Rebel' who was denied to access, was a person by the name Sheila Gunn Reid, and, from what I can gather she is a journalist..?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not think we need more regulators, councils or what ever you have, to determine who is, or, is not a journalist. But what of the alternative press and citizen journalists, were does it end and how do we sort it? Do you think Harper would take a grilling from Matt Lee (AP), Gayane Chichakyan (RT) or, and lets go out on a real limb, and suggest WeAreChange Luke Rudkowski or Press for Truth's Dan Dicks.

The only measuring stick I think of should be used here is money and how much money. What ever way we sort out who and who is not elligable to press event can not be based on financial backing (so should our elections for that matter).

In closing: I am enjoying reading all off the contribution to this subject, thank you.

Edited by Hoser360

I see no difference between Ezra and outfits like the Toronto Star when it comes to extreme bias and one sided reporting.

Well, one is a generally accepted source for news with a liberal slant. The other is generally not accepted as a source of information, and has no problem stretching the truth.

We fought back — with a massive petition called Cut Them Off:

If Quebec Liberals didn’t want any oil from the west, they shouldn’t get any oil money.

http://www.therebel.media/poll_most_in_saskatchewan_alberta_say

How many media organizations create news by fighting back (not to mention that the question is nonsensical, as Alberta and Saskatchewan don't send Quebec money directly)?

Edited by Smallc

I agree he has blundered now and then and had to back track on what he has said. But still a lot of what he says and others at The Rebel has gone thru with flying colors. Hey, Ezra is not perfect but who is? I would prefer to listen to an alternative media outlet like The Rebel rather than the mainstream media whom are very one-sided on many issues. The media is well known for making an honest person look like a liar if they don't like what they are hearing from that honest person. Try speaking politically incorrect out in public square and see what the media can do to someone.

Oh, he's made mistakes? He's not perfect??? Here are some more examples of Ezra Levant not being perfect.

And he was successfully sued for $80,000 for defamation. Here is what the judge had to say:

Levant also appeared to have little regard for the facts, Matheson found.

"He did little or no fact-checking regarding the posts complained of, either before or after their publication....and with one exception, when he learned that he got his facts wrong, he made no corrections," she wrote.

So, you and his other fans can go ahead and tell yourselves that he's being picked on for being politically incorrect. The evidence says otherwise.

Unlike the CBC, Fox News is not a state controlled broadcaster.

I'm not sure what keeps you under this illusion about the CBC, which is funded by taxpayers, not controlled by the government of the day. Harper tried with bill c-60 but failed. Now Fox of course is funded by investors so that is why it follows whatever wacky ideas suit the boardroom of a given day. Probably why a lot of people refer to it as faux news.

Well, one is a generally accepted source for news with a liberal slant. The other is generally not accepted as a source of information, and has no problem stretching the truth.

And has gone into court and said pretty much that anyone who would believe Ezra's "stories" is an idiot.his defence said "intelligent viewers" know he just makes stuff up to be provocative.

Oh, he's made mistakes? He's not perfect??? Here are some more examples of Ezra Levant not being perfect.

And he was successfully sued for $80,000 for defamation. Here is what the judge had to say:

So, you and his other fans can go ahead and tell yourselves that he's being picked on for being politically incorrect. The evidence says otherwise.

C'mon, give the man a break. He still has done a lot of good for people who have been wronged by our politically correct state. And he has taken on the Human Rights(Wrongs)Commission for their attacks on freedom of speech, and he has won. He has done a lot of good things for we the people in keeping us informed of what some of our politicians are doing behind our backs, especially attacks on Christianity, and freedom of speech. Never mind always trying to find fault with the man, try and find some of the good things he has done. Works for me.

I'm not sure what keeps you under this illusion about the CBC, which is funded by taxpayers, not controlled by the government of the day. Harper tried with bill c-60 but failed. Now Fox of course is funded by investors so that is why it follows whatever wacky ideas suit the boardroom of a given day. Probably why a lot of people refer to it as faux news.

yup... the guy continues to purposely conflate "state media" with "public sector media"... in spite of being presented with the distinction between the two many times over. By continuing to falsely make this claim about the CBC being a, as he states, "state controlled broadcaster", he simply looks to pull these same reactions forward... while adding absolutely nothing of substance/meaning himself.