Taylor Swift takes a swipe at Kanye

WestCoastRunner

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're looking for justice, I don't think a tinseltown awards extravaganza is a fertile hunting ground.

If this were Naomi Klein or a female Bernie Sanders being slighted, it might be worth getting upset over. But however business savvy Swift is and however talented at making schlocky music that appeals to the maximum masses, her work is ultimately disposable.

Edited by ReeferMadness

If this were Naomi Klein or a female Bernie Sanders being slighted, it might be worth getting upset over. But however business savvy Swift is and however talented at making schlocky music that applies to the maximum masses, her work is ultimately disposable.

That's what they said about Elvis, The Beatles, and Carole King too. They cried all the way to the bank.

Meaghan Trainor's break out hit "All About That Bass" was literally create by her throwing random phrases together, in her own words. It's absolutely meaningless drivel that's he difference. It's like an infant finger painting and an art curator trying to sell it as a masterpiece.

Great analogy. However it is not just one infant painting that picture, look at the credits for most songs. But still people attempting to pass it off as great art. Gossip about stupid crap is still more popular than gossip about stuff that really matters.

There is a reason it's called popular music. Popular does not really mean good.

I know, I'm English. I grew up in an era that spanned early Beatles to late punk, and yet the top of the charts always seemed to be utter tripe.

I'm speaking to the idea that she's somehow persecuted by the establishment for being female. Not that she hasn't made good decisions.

When she started her speech with the whole "as the first woman to win this award twice" and then raised the suggestion that she had some major struggle to overcome...well, it seemed somewhat delusional! Let's face it, she has a team of people doing everything possible to get her to the top, she's super hot and appeals to many people - she sells, she is the chosen one.

Shania Twain was nothing until Mutt Lange got ahold of her and was nothing when he left, but in between she was the chosen one in the 90's. The industry needs to elevate these people to keep the money rolling in, it's a factory and Swift along with Bieber and the rest are the product of today, not the music.

It's all artificial.

I won't comment on the notion that Swift or other female megastars are "hard done by" by any stretch of the imagination, because it's pretty ridiculous. It seems kind of like the controversy about when the Sony email leaks revealed that Jennifer Lawrence got $6 million for American Hustle while her male co-stars got $10 million. I have little doubt that she put more butts in seats than her co-stars, but she got paid $6 million, and it's hard to feel sorry for somebody who got paid $6 million.

But as for the attempt to lump her in with the likes of Bieber, or Britney Spears, or The Monkees, or stuff like that, I think that's completely off the mark. I assume it's a comment based on an assumption or a stereotype. I gather you're of the belief that some middle-aged dude in an LA high-rise dreamed up the whole Taylor Swift phenomenon.

I've never read anything to suggest that the creative force behind Taylor Swift is anybody other than Taylor Swift. If it's a factory, she's the one who designed the product, markets the product, and manages every aspect of the product.

I don't get the comment that it's "artificial". What would make it "real"? Are you one of those guys who thinks that a "real" musical auteur is some haggard-looking deadbeat with a beat-up guitar and bad fashion sense?

-k

I won't comment on the notion that Swift or other female megastars are "hard done by" by any stretch of the imagination, because it's pretty ridiculous. It seems kind of like the controversy about when the Sony email leaks revealed that Jennifer Lawrence got $6 million for American Hustle while her male co-stars got $10 million. I have little doubt that she put more butts in seats than her co-stars, but she got paid $6 million, and it's hard to feel sorry for somebody who got paid $6 million.

But as for the attempt to lump her in with the likes of Bieber, or Britney Spears, or The Monkees, or stuff like that, I think that's completely off the mark. I assume it's a comment based on an assumption or a stereotype. I gather you're of the belief that some middle-aged dude in an LA high-rise dreamed up the whole Taylor Swift phenomenon.

I've never read anything to suggest that the creative force behind Taylor Swift is anybody other than Taylor Swift. If it's a factory, she's the one who designed the product, markets the product, and manages every aspect of the product.

I don't get the comment that it's "artificial". What would make it "real"? Are you one of those guys who thinks that a "real" musical auteur is some haggard-looking deadbeat with a beat-up guitar and bad fashion sense?

-k

I've been watching Taylor Swift since the "picture to burn" stage, and yes, I'll agree that that she got to the national stage by her talent. But, that was 10 years ago. To rise to the superstar status she has now required a team, some of which (9) were on stage with her.

So no, nobody dreamed up Taylor Swift, they merely saw a product that could be expanded and marketed with the right help.

BTW - I had forgot that Jennifer Lawrence was in that movie, I remember Bradley Cooper, Christian Bale and Amy Adams. How much did Amy Adams make, because she was pretty good....and that might make a better example.

Lawrence had a lesser role in American Hustle than Adams, who was paid much less at $1.25 million(plus points in the profits).

On the other hand, Adams has nowhere near the draw that Lawrence has- she is the best paid actress in Hollywood now.

Maybe Lawrence needs a new agent, or at least somebody else to negotiate on her behalf. For this movie, she worked significantly fewer days than the others, and came later to join the cast.

She won't be repeating that mistake, she is one of the best of her generation and must be buried in offers/scripts.

For those who have not seen it, check her out in Winters Bone for a movie treat.

I think Kanye is a talentless goof. Am I a racist for saying that?

No. You just demonstrate that you have absolutely no understanding of what he does or what kind of impact he has had on hip hop.

So, I will freely admit I have no understanding of his impact on hip hop. In fact, I barely knew who he was. But in 10 minutes on the internet, I find that he's interrupted Swift on during an award acceptance speech to claim it should have gone to someone else, claimed to be $53 million in debt and urged his fans to demand Mark Zuckerberg give him money, written some misogynist lyrics (including some about Taylor Swift) and compared himself to Picasso.

Maybe he is the Jesus Christ of hip hop but he also appears to be an arrogant, misogynistic, self-important a-hole with an ego that would sink an aircraft carrier.

So, I will freely admit I have no understanding of his impact on hip hop. In fact, I barely knew who he was. But in 10 minutes on the internet, I find that he's interrupted Swift on during an award acceptance speech to claim it should have gone to someone else, claimed to be $53 million in debt and urged his fans to demand Mark Zuckerberg give him money, written some misogynist lyrics (including some about Taylor Swift) and compared himself to Picasso.

Maybe he is the Jesus Christ of hip hop but he also appears to be an arrogant, misogynistic, self-important a-hole with an ego that would sink an aircraft carrier.

Oh he's an idiot for sure. But so are a lot of other musicians who get a pass for their appalling personal lives.

That seems like a stretch, especially considering his impulsive outburst was an ill conceived defence of Beyonce.

Well, based on a brief review the 195,000 results that come back when I google "Kanye West misogyny", I would say it has to do with his lyrics, behavior and comments, not his "ill conceived defence of Beyonce".

Well, based on a brief review the 195,000 results that come back when I google "Kanye West misogyny", I would say it has to do with his lyrics, behavior and comments, not his "ill conceived defence of Beyonce".

Fair enough, far be it for me to defend Kanye, I thought we were focussing on the Kanye/Swift dispute. I think he's pretty much a douche to everybody equally.