Taylor Swift takes a swipe at Kanye

WestCoastRunner

They're exceptions that prove the rule. There is absolutely no shortage of misogyny in rap, r&b, or pop lyrics. Wasn't there outrage over Robin Thicke just a year or so ago? And that's just one extremely famous example. I bet you could go through the Billboard Top 40 today and find all kinds of misogyny if you were so inclined.

There are a lot of lyrics out there - I'm sure you can find whatever you want if you look hard enough. But you referred to "most pop artists" which is quite a different matter.

Robin Thicke is not "most pop artists".

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What qualifies as misogynistic when it comes to music?

Anything that might elude to murdering a woman? If so, the Blues have had a century of misogeny.

Look up on the wall, baby. Hand me down my shootin iron

Look up on the wall, baby. Hand me down my shootin iron

Call your mother long distance. Tell her to expect your body home

If the city don't bury you baby, lord knows the county will

If the city don't bury you baby, lord knows the county will

You made your last mistake. You're goin way out on that boot hill

The whole misogyny in music thing goes both ways. You can't tell me that there isn't a whole shwack of misandrist songs out there too. Ever heard of Kelly Clarkson, Jann Arden, Tori Amos etc etc.? Or, "Before he cheats"? In Lady Gaga's song "Bad Romance" (I think), she presumably burns a guy alive and In "telephone" goes on a killing spree.

The whole killing and abusing of men has been a staple in pop culture for many years. Are there songs that allude to killing or abusing women? Sure? Lots of them, but lets not pretend it's a one way street.

But in other news #freekesha (whatever that means...).

Merging the Kesha thing with the Swift thing, Taylor Swift has given Kesha $250,000 to help her financially during her ongoing stand-off with Sony and her producer. I assume most of it will probably pay legal fees.

-k

No. You just demonstrate that you have absolutely no understanding of what he does or what kind of impact he has had on hip hop.

Me and a friend were hoping his recent antics would be a simple throw back to the braggadocio style of days gone by. Putting on an act if you will. If not, regardless of his impact, he's acting like an idiot. There was a big impact on his money wallet last week too.

Merging the Kesha thing with the Swift thing, Taylor Swift has given Kesha $250,000 to help her financially during her ongoing stand-off with Sony and her producer. I assume most of it will probably pay legal fees.

-k

I have a feeling this is going to be a very big story. And maybe for good reason too. Lots of famous people have been caught up in abuse allegations over the past year. This could expose the same type of apologetic behaviour in the record industry like what we saw at CBC with Gomeshi. Five ladies have come forth to help her out so good on them.

-k

Another case of he said-she said. If events are as Kesha claims, she should file a criminal complaint.

I have a feeling this is going to be a very big story. And maybe for good reason too. Lots of famous people have been caught up in abuse allegations over the past year. This could expose the same type of apologetic behaviour in the record industry like what we saw at CBC with Gomeshi. Five ladies have come forth to help her out so good on them.

What's interesting is a few of her supporters have worked with him in past and they owe him gratitude for a few of their top money making hits and yet oddly they support Kesha. Some of his artists that he currently collaborates with have offered no public support for dr Luke.