Taylor Swift takes a swipe at Kanye

WestCoastRunner

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a middle aged white male I don't really understand what any of you are talking about.

The sexist pig in me wants to support Kanye while the racist in me says "you go girl" to Swift.

As I said: middle. aged. white. male.

But in other news #freekesha (whatever that means...).

As a middle aged white male I don't really understand what any of you are talking about.

The sexist pig in me wants to support Kanye while the racist in me says "you go girl" to Swift.

As I said: middle. aged. white. male.

That's a key point... these pop star feuds are interesting to a certain audience, and that audience is Not Me. I doubt any on this forum are actually part of that audience. The people who care about this sort of thing are the same people who buy those magazines you see in grocery check-out lines. Which celebrity is dating which other celebrity. Who's breaking up with who. All of those crappy stupid gossip magazines, or their online equivalent click-bait websites.

I'm sure this sort of stuff exists to fill some kind of human need, but I can't figure out what it is. Maybe our culture has created this pantheon of celebrities for the same reason that ancient peoples created pantheons of mythological figures. The ancient Norse had Thor and Loki and all their friends... we have Taylor and Kanye and the Kardashians?

But in other news #freekesha (whatever that means...).

The ongoing Kesha case is a completely different kettle of fish.

Kesha Sebert (formerly known simply as "Ke$ha") was a budding pop-star at one point... she provided backing vocals for other singers, she wrote songs for a number of other popular artists, and her first record was a huge success. (don't ask me to comment on whether she's actually any good at any of this, I haven't heard any of it.)

But she hasn't worked in 2 years due to a dispute with her producer "Dr Luke" who is apparently a big deal in the music industry. (I have never heard of him either.) She claims that he has abused her physically and emotionally, and that he used GHB on her and raped her. He claims that she made everything up in order to get free of her contract.

Due to her contract with Dr Luke she can't record or write songs for anybody except him, so she has basically been unemployed for the past 2 years. She is in court trying to have her contract with Dr Luke annulled.

-k

The court decided that they couldn't let her out of the contract because it would undermine contract law. She is being forced to make 6 more albums for Sony to honour the contract.

If you believe Kesha, she's essentially being forced to make money for her rapist and the courts are forcing her to because she signed a contract and he invested millions.

Edited by cybercoma

I'm sure this sort of stuff exists to fill some kind of human need, but I can't figure out what it is. Maybe our culture has created this pantheon of celebrities for the same reason that ancient peoples created pantheons of mythological figures. The ancient Norse had Thor and Loki and all their friends... we have Taylor and Kanye and the Kardashians?

-k

I've heard it be attritubuted to the breakdown of our social circles. Before everyone knew everyone in the neighbourhood and everyone heard the gossip about who is cheating or divorcing or fighting and now that our social circles are smaller, we look at the lives of celebrities to get a dose of gossip.

That's a key point... these pop star feuds are interesting to a certain audience, and that audience is Not Me. I doubt any on this forum are actually part of that audience. The people who care about this sort of thing are the same people who buy those magazines you see in grocery check-out lines. Which celebrity is dating which other celebrity. Who's breaking up with who. All of those crappy stupid gossip magazines, or their online equivalent click-bait websites.

I'm sure this sort of stuff exists to fill some kind of human need, but I can't figure out what it is....

That's OK....there is a very large audience for pop stars and pop drama going back generations. Ever heard of Tiger Beat magazine ? How about Bobby Sherman, or Michael Jackson, or maybe David Cassidy (he is old, drunk, and broke now) ? Perhaps this is more of an American thing, Hollywood, star power, etc.

The human need is obvious and old as hell....to sell product and make money.

I bought a copy of 1989...and I like it. You go Tay !

Edited by bush_cheney2004

That's OK....there is a very large audience for pop stars and pop drama going back generations. Ever heard of Tiger Beat magazine ? How about Bobby Sherman, or Michael Jackson, or maybe David Cassidy (he is old, drunk, and broke now) ? Perhaps this is more of an American thing, Hollywood, star power, etc.

The human need is obvious and old as hell....to sell product and make money.

I bought a copy of 1989...and I like it. You go Tay !

There is a large audience for gossip not only with pop stars. Politics (Pierre and Maggie, Kim etc). Sports (Domi and Belinda - aka blowme).

He or she, whatever, blocked me a long time ago. But the posts still show, although I usually just ignore.

So your response is relevant to this thread, however posters who have blocked you can continue on their merry way without considering your legitimate concerns and respond to this thread. It sounds extremely unfair and hijacked.

It's great to question this. We have many female rap artists who are not mysoginistic.

They're exceptions that prove the rule. There is absolutely no shortage of misogyny in rap, r&b, or pop lyrics. Wasn't there outrage over Robin Thicke just a year or so ago? And that's just one extremely famous example. I bet you could go through the Billboard Top 40 today and find all kinds of misogyny if you were so inclined.

He has probably blocked you which reinforces my stmt of the ridiculousness of blocking members.

C'mon people...John Lennon's misogynist sins are well documented...from his own mouth in several interviews.

Don't pretend otherwise, including lyrics like these:

Run for Your Life (from Rubber Soul - 1965)
Well I'd rather see you dead, little girl

Than to be with another man

You better keep your head, little girl

Or I won't know where I am

You better run for your life if you can, little girl

Hide your head in the sand little girl

Catch you with another man

That's the end ah little girl

Well I know that I'm a wicked guy

And I was born with a jealous mind

And I can't spend my whole life

Trying just to make you toe the line

Let this be a sermon

I mean everything I've said

Baby, I'm determined

And I'd rather see you dead

http://music.cbc.ca/#!/blogs/2013/5/This-man-beats-women-John-Lennon-Chris-Brown-and-ugly-truths

He has probably blocked you which reinforces my stmt of the ridiculousness of blocking members.

He or she, whatever, blocked me a long time ago. But the posts still show, although I usually just ignore.

So your response is relevant to this thread, however posters who have blocked you can continue on their merry way without considering your legitimate concerns and respond to this thread. It sounds extremely unfair and hijacked.

I'm not really sure I understand the complaint here. Are you angry that BC2004 didn't immediately respond to your question?

I doubt that BC2004 has anybody on his block list, btw.

One thing I can state is that nobody is required to respond to questions, or even read anybody's messages. People can use their ignore lists as they wish. If you feel somebody has ignored a pertinent question, you could point it out and if they still refuse to reply, you can raise your arms in triumph and move on.

-k