Islamophobia in Canada

Wow, what a beautiful red herring. Because yeah, supporting refugees means supporting sharia law.

Clearly, you cherry pick to see what you want to see.

I am not against muslims.

I am not against refugees.

I am against extremist Islamic tenets, which Sharia law embraces and perpetuates.

If I don't cowtow to your simplistic utopian ideals, I am a bigot.

Talk about a red herring.

Edited by drummindiver

Carry on with your phobia, but leave the refugees alone, and don't fret, our legal system will withstand their presence.

Leave them alone?

What have I said that is against allowing refugees into Canada?

Please, if you can find anywhere that I've stated I'm against refugees coming to Canada, I'll leave MLW permanently.

If you can't, please shut up about it.

Cool?

Clearly, you cherry pick to see what you want to see.

I am not against muslims.

I am not against refugees.

I am against extremist Islamic tenets, which Sharia law embraces and perpetuates.

If I don't cowtow to your simplistic utopian ideals, I am a bigot.

Talk about a red herring.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone supporting Sharia law in Canada so using that as your basis to determine anything to do with Islamaphobia is a red-herring.

These terrorists are not Muslims. Radical Christians are NOT Christians. Radical Jews are NOT Jews. ect ect.

The members of ISIS believe that there are no gods but Allah and Mohamed is the last and final prophet of Allah. That makes them muslim. Not only that, they follow all of the pillars of Islam, from praying 5 times a day, to paying zakat, to fasting on Ramadan, to performing the Hajj.

Why are all the religious apologists trying to group these radicals with non-religious people? It's not non-religious people flying planes into buildings or trying to blow up soccer stadiums.

I state views on here I state in everyday life.

---SNIP---

This attitude supposes that all Muslims and all Muslim countries support all tenets of Sharia law. They do not.

So yeah, there are aspects of Sharia law that are cruel, inhumane and against most values of decency. There are other aspects of Sharia law that are not a lot different than Western law - such as presumption of innocence (The 40 Hadith of Imam al Nawawi, No. 33) [/size]and some that could be considered 'progressive' by Western standards, such as not charging interest on loans (Verse 2:278).

Edited by Charles Anthony
[---SNIP---]

This attitude supposes that all Muslims and all Muslim countries support all tenets of Sharia law. They do not.

So yeah, there are aspects of Sharia law that are cruel, inhumane and against most values of decency. There are other aspects of Sharia law that are not a lot different than Western law - such as presumption of innocence (The 40 Hadith of Imam al Nawawi, No. 33) and some that could be considered 'progressive' by Western standards, such as not charging interest on loans (Verse 2:278).

All muslims in all countries do not support all tenets of Sharia law.

Do they support most of it?

Sharia law is Sharia law.

Why defend an such an archaic, misogynist set of tenets?

Edited by drummindiver

Leave them alone?

What have I said that is against allowing refugees into Canada?

Please, if you can find anywhere that I've stated I'm against refugees coming to Canada, I'll leave MLW permanently.

If you can't, please shut up about it.

Cool?

You clearly stated you don't support sharia law in Canada. Is that not simply a thinly veiled threat that if we let in refugees from Muslim country's that we will end up with sharia law? Your phobia may spawn such a fear, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Cool?

I still don't see anyone supporting Sharia law in Canada.

I had a graduate course in economics last year where the professor invited a guest speaker to spend an entire lecture going on about Islamic banking and how society should adopt Sharia.

To be fair, a lot of people misunderstand Sharia. Sharia just means the laws humans should follow according to Allah. This is something that is very much open to interpretation.

I had a graduate course in economics last year where the professor invited a guest speaker to spend an entire lecture going on about Islamic banking and how society should adopt Sharia.

To be fair, a lot of people misunderstand Sharia. Sharia just means the laws humans should follow according to Allah. This is something that is very much open to interpretation.

I was talking specifically about that post to which I responded. I still didn't see anything in that post that supported sharia law in Canada.

I think we are pretty much all opposed to any laws that are based on religious beliefs. I think all immigrants, regardless of where they are from, should know that any religious beliefs they have should be applied to themselves alone within the confines set by our secular laws and any attempt to impose any of their beliefs on anyone else would result in them being sent back from whence they came.

Seems pretty simple to me.

I think we are pretty much all opposed to any laws that are based on religious beliefs. I think all immigrants, regardless of where they are from, should know that any religious beliefs they have should be applied to themselves alone within the confines set by our secular laws and any attempt to impose any of their beliefs on anyone else would result in them being sent back from whence they came.

Seems pretty simple to me.

They would either be deported, or if they had acquired citizenship, the sent through the court system and punished under our law, not some foreign law. It is quite simple.

All muslims in all countries do not support all tenets of Sharia law.

Do they support most of it?

Sharia law is Sharia law.

Why defend an such an archaic, misogynist set of tenets?

This is why the word "bigot" come up. You post the very worse aspects of Sharia law, as if that was the *only* thing Sharia law. I point out that is a lot of latitude and you come back and still insist that "it's all just the same one (bad) thing". That is bigotted thinking.

My brother-in-law does not pay interest on any loans he has outstanding. He had to sign a multi-page marriage contract that protected my sister when they married, including her right to seek divorce and her right to property. He is obligated to care for his wife (or wives if he had more than one), his children, his parents, his family; as the eldest son, this requirement that he take care of younger siblings is taken very seriously. He is obligated to help those less fortunate than he is, regardless of their religion. He is not allowed to force his religion on others, he is not allowed to beat his wife, he is not allowed to harm innocents or non-believers. That all derives from the Sharia law he follows.

I don't agree with the death penalty in the States, nor do I agree with their 'mandatory minimums' or their 'three strikes you're out' policies. That they lock up pot smokers for years but let people who defraud billions from society go unpunished strikes me as extremely immoral - but it seems their law allows for it. Even though I disagree with all of those thing, it doesn't mean their entire body of jurisprudence is absolutely wrong, or that every single American believes in all aspects of their law. The same is true of Sharia law and Muslims.

This is why the word "bigot" come up.

---SNIP---

You said they wouldn't charge interest on a loan.

If you are a young girl forced to marry, and apostate or gay man killed, do you really care about saving some interest on a loan?

Can you really compare theses tenests, honestly?

Edited by Charles Anthony
[---SNIP---]

You said they wouldn't charge interest on a loan.

If you are a young girl forced to marry, and apostate or gay man killed, do you really care about saving some interest on a loan?

Can you really compare theses tenests, honestly?

Killing people, any people, is illegal in Canada. You go to jail, regardless of your religion.

The members of ISIS believe that there are no gods but Allah and Mohamed is the last and final prophet of Allah. That makes them muslim. Not only that, they follow all of the pillars of Islam, from praying 5 times a day, to paying zakat, to fasting on Ramadan, to performing the Hajj.

Why are all the religious apologists trying to group these radicals with non-religious people? It's not non-religious people flying planes into buildings or trying to blow up soccer stadiums.

No that does not make them Muslim just like Fred Phelps and his followers are not Christians.