CPC Leadership Predictions

It's a testament to tvrexcitment surrounding the CPC leadership that everyone is discussing Liberals.

By 'everyone' you mean the Liberals like you and Waldo who came onto this topic, right?

Edited by Argus

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to infighting, of the potential leaders polled in your link, I would question if there would be "infighting" (Her support is representative across the country) and as polled leads the field, when included, in nearly every other category, with only O'Leary and to a lesser degree Mackay anywhere close.......to date, the only two declared candidates don't come anywhere near her in their own provinces.....

let the infighting begin! Rona Ambrose made 'solemn vow' not to run for Tory leadership, Tony Clement says

A former top Conservative cabinet minister — and a potential leadership candidate — says interim leader Rona Ambrose would damage her credibility among her caucus colleagues if she breaks her promise not to run for the permanent job.

"I think Rona Ambrose has been very clear and she made a solemn vow prior to running for the interim leadership that she would not run for the leadership," Tony Clement said in a scrum Monday.

Seeing she continues to rule out a bid I doubt there'll be much infighting over this.

Obviously at least one prominent CPC MP is concerned enough about it that he reminded Rona Ambrose publicly about her "solemn vow" not to run...

She still has a lot of time ,to think about it. And trudeau is all about women, so let him attack her.

Edited by PIK

I don't understand what the big deal is.

I have no idea why an interim leader shouldn't be allowed to run for the leadership of the party. But the CPC make them take a "solemn vow" (sworn on a bible perhaps?) not to do so.

I have no idea why an interim leader shouldn't be allowed to run for the leadership of the party. But the CPC make them take a "solemn vow" (sworn on a bible perhaps?) not to do so.

The interim leader has the incumbent advantage, which is not insignificant. As long as it is done upfront, as was the case here, I see good reason to have an interim leader that will not go on to seek the leadership. The same should happen in municipal politics for interim appointments.

What infighting? She's stated she is not interested in the job, so the infighting will be over what? :huh:

sure - if that's the case, why is there a move to "draft Rona"? Equally, if that's the case, why would highly likely candidate Tony Clement bother to emphasize publicly the "solemn vow" Rona took?

certainly, there's never been a politician that vehemently, and repeatedly, stated "I will not run"... only to later... run - yes?

sure - if that's the case, why is there a move to "draft Rona"? Equally, if that's the case, why would highly likely candidate Tony Clement bother to emphasize publicly the "solemn vow" Rona took?

certainly, there's never been a politician that vehemently, and repeatedly, stated "I will not run"... only to later... run - yes?

Just because some in caucus think she should be able to run (and some want ti support her if she does) and some think the rules should stay as they are doesn't necessarily mean there is infighting.

Of course Tony Clement would be opposed to her being able to enter the race, as he stated. They might be fighting but there's no evidence of that as of yet. You can disagree on issues without fighting.

So your assumption here is that despite saying otherwise, Rona actually plans (or planned) to run for the leadership? You ability of projection is most impressive :ph34r:

So your assumption here is that despite saying otherwise, Rona actually plans (or planned) to run for the leadership? You ability of projection is most impressive :ph34r:

it must be as impressive as that of the group of Conservative MPs with the "draft Rona' move... or as impressive as that of Tony Clement coming out publicly to forcefully remind Rona that she gave a "solemn vow" not to run.

Because there seems to be a suspicion that Ambrose may run.

There's really no suspicion, she's ruled it out time and time again. There are people pushing for her to run, but at this point she's not allowed to run and continues to say she's not interested. I have yet to see any reports that suggest she's considering it.

There are people pushing for her to run, but at this point she's not allowed to run and continues to say she's not interested.

Maybe not this time around but who knows in the future. The interim leadership is the perfect learning ground should she want the leadership at some future time in her political career.

Don't be silly... it's in the rules so they would have to hold a convention to change the rules. She will stick to her promise, anything said on here is strictly speculation and innuendo. Neither is there any 'infighting', more innuendo and speculation.

Don't be silly... it's in the rules so they would have to hold a convention to change the rules. She will stick to her promise, anything said on here is strictly speculation and innuendo. Neither is there any 'infighting', more innuendo and speculation.

Exactly, I can't see it happening........and I would like and be fine with a rule change to allow Rona to run, and based on the above polling, so too would a great many other Tories.

There is plenty of time and there will be many factors between now and then that could help one candidate over another.....