CPC Leadership Predictions

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

over the last month or so as I perused the usual right-wing blogs, I kept coming across very pointed, pining, plaintive shout-outs for the next CPC leader... of course, they couldn't be serious - could they? Well, when it rises to the level of a Postmedia NP piece from Ivison... maybe... the person to replace the departed Stephen Harper is...... Stephen Harper! :lol: Unite the Right... so long as it doesn't include any Red Tories!!!

The old schisms in the party run deep, even if Stephen Harper was successful at pacifying the warring tribes.

There is a groundswell of opinion among what might be considered the party establishment that the day after MacKay wins the leadership, the party would split.

The former prime minister’s return is being mooted by serious people, in a political resurrection that would echo that of the current prime minister’s father.

“No other candidate could defeat him in the leadership of our party,” said one respected senior Conservative. “It’s the ‘break glass in case of emergency’ option.”

The lure for the former prime minister would be to protect the legacy of a durable Conservative coalition that might be threatened under a leader whose blue credentials were questioned by many of the rank and file.

“The math changes when people start to think the whole experiment is at risk – when we start looking down the barrel of a Peter MacKay leadership,” said the insider.

LOL

Super Harper flies back to save the day!!

Oh man... Bring back the immigrant snitch line, racist rhetoric, anti-environment, huge deficits, kids in short-pants controlling MPs and bribe some more Senators! That's exactly what the CPC needs!! :huh:

over the last month or so as I perused the usual right-wing blogs, I kept coming across very pointed, pining, plaintive shout-outs for the next CPC leader... of course, they couldn't be serious - could they? Well, when it rises to the level of a Postmedia NP piece from Ivison... maybe... the person to replace the departed Stephen Harper is...... Stephen Harper! :lol: Unite the Right... so long as it doesn't include any Red Tories!!!

I think its fanciful fiction and I doubt former Prime Minister Harper would be the slightest bit interested.........but the prospects of a defeated Prime Minister returning to lead his party back into Government is not without precedent....

I think its fanciful fiction and I doubt former Prime Minister Harper would be the slightest bit interested.........

Harper is clearly still pulling Rona's strings! I expect it's like a 'death by a thousand cuts' watching Trudeau Liberals slice & dice through his "legacy" legislation. That you personally indicate you'd "be fine" with a Peter MacKay choice is most antithetical with what NP's Ivison describes as the prevailing internal CPC party concerns for a Red Tory (MacKay) led party - a result suggested to "split the party apart".

Harper is clearly still pulling Rona's strings! I expect it's like a 'death by a thousand cuts' watching Trudeau Liberals slice & dice through his "legacy" legislation.

How is that clear? I think the opposite, tone alone is a major difference.

That you personally indicate you'd "be fine" with a Peter MacKay choice is most antithetical with what NP's Ivison describes as the prevailing internal CPC party concerns for a Red Tory (MacKay) led party - a result suggested to "split the party apart".

Though I respect (and read) Ivison, I think this is a case of either trying to sell papers or he's got a lousy source.....Without a doubt there would be detractors of MacKay, but a Mackay leadership isn't going to fracture the party.....I just don't think its going to happen regardless.

this long-time Conservative MP (from Reform days, no less) is calling for a CPC leadership candidate that will help shape a more inclusive party:

Conservative MP slams Tories for becoming an 'elitist, white-only club'

Because they charge $25 to join the party?! LOL. This guy is obviously an example of the low quality of so many of the MPs we're saddled with. His riding is extremely 'diverse' with almost half the population born out of Canada and a large Indian contingent.

One of the issues I have raised before is that of ethnic groups banding together to swarm local riding offices in order to put one of their own in place as the candidate. I think the membership charge for all parties should be raised to make this much more expensive, and thus harder to do.

Edited by Argus

Because they charge $25 to join the party?! LOL. This guy is obviously an example of the low quality of so many of the MPs we're saddled with. His riding is extremely 'diverse' with almost half the population born out of Canada and a large Indian contingent.

One of the issues I have raised before is that of ethnic groups banding together to swarm local riding offices in order to put one of their own in place as the candidate. I think the membership charge for all parties should be raised to make this much more expensive, and thus harder to do.

ya ya, I'm sure that things like ole 'old stock Canadians' and the most overt Harper Conservative election campaign of 'divisiveness and fear mongering' had no consideration in that "elitist, white-only club" labeling.

ya ya, I'm sure that things like ole 'old stock Canadians' and the most overt Harper Conservative election campaign of 'divisiveness and fear mongering' had no consideration in that "elitist, white-only club" labeling.

Speaking of a guy who supports the party of class-warfare, that's kind of funny! :lol:

Speaking of a guy who supports the party of class-warfare, that's kind of funny! :lol:

nice drive-by deflection! That Harper Conservative politics of division and fear-mongering will hold for some time... having the likes of Leitch step forward... with Kenney, Clement, et al, soon to follow... will help to reinforce exactly what the 'party of Harper' became and remains.

I think its fanciful fiction and I doubt former Prime Minister Harper would be the slightest bit interested.........but the prospects of a defeated Prime Minister returning to lead his party back into Government is not without precedent....

It's not ideal, but an "I told you so" campaign can be quite effective. Especially since his losing bid actually garnered more votes than two of his winning ones, a new campaign could easily yield different results.

Will it happen? I doubt it. I don't think MacKay would get enough support for it to be necessary.

It's not ideal, but an "I told you so" campaign can be quite effective. Especially since his losing bid actually garnered more votes than two of his winning ones, a new campaign could easily yield different results.

Will it happen? I doubt it. I don't think MacKay would get enough support for it to be necessary.

I think that would require the Trudeau Government to really, really bungle things inside of four years and the effects to be felt really quickly by the public..........could happen, but I still doubt Harper would return, absent loud public cries for him to come to the rescue.....wouldn't hold my breath ;)

LOL

Super Harper flies back to save the day!!

Oh man... Bring back the immigrant snitch line, racist rhetoric, anti-environment, huge deficits, kids in short-pants controlling MPs and bribe some more Senators! That's exactly what the CPC needs!! :huh:

Harper's making bold moves... setting the groundwork for his triumphant return! Just days ago Harper went to 'kiss the ring' of Sheldon Adelson... the mega-billionaire and top donor to conservative candidates/causes:

On Thursday evening, Adelson hosted some of the organization’s top officials at his palatial mansion. While former Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper discussed how fractured parties can unite, Adelson listened but said little, according to three people who were present.

in relation to the event Harper tweeted something about Israel ... to some apparent mixed response! :lol: If Harper is the great fractured party uniter, can he bring together his twitter feed responses?

If that article weren't from someone so serious, I'd think it was comedy :lol:

Ivison wrote another hilarious piece lately too. I though it was farcical too, but the left were spontaneously ejaculating over this masterpiece of fluff. I do appreciate that PostMedia publishes stuff by Ivison and Den Tandt, two Liberal shills with a platform. Lately Coyne has joined their ranks more b=vocally than usual. There must be Communications posts opening up soon in the existing armada within the PMO. The job competition is just beginning!

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/john-ivison-trudeau-convinced-that-pipeline-strategy-must-be-top-priority.

It is a masterpiece of garbage journalism, a nothingness. There is no attribution of anything to the premise that Trudeau supports pipleines other than this:

But people with knowledge of the matter suggest he has recently issued instructions that a pipeline strategy has to be top priority.

The headline is 'Trudeau convinced'. He is not quoted anywhere, nor is anybody else on the topic. Comedy gold on a national basis.

Ivison is a Liberal shill?

Ivison isn't really Liberal, but the CBC likes to use him to represent the "conservative" view on their panels and he's not really conservative either. He's more centrist.

To many CPC supporters, anyone who disagrees with the party must be a "Liberal shill".

How many? Seems to me you won't have to go far to find conservatives here who have been critical on this or that piece of Tory policy or behaviour. You'll go a LOOOONG way to find a Liberal or NDP supporter subjecting their parties to any criticism.