CPC Leadership Predictions

There's really no suspicion, she's ruled it out time and time again. There are people pushing for her to run, but at this point she's not allowed to run and continues to say she's not interested. I have yet to see any reports that suggest she's considering it.

So why did Clement make such a big deal of emphasizing the solemn promise angle?

You know that pols deny something until they change their minds? On one of these threads I was saying how she couldn't run and now it's a discussion again.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why did Clement make such a big deal of emphasizing the solemn promise angle?

You know that pols deny something until they change their minds? On one of these threads I was saying how she couldn't run and now it's a discussion again.

He made a big deal? He gave his response to a journalist.

We'll find out in a few weeks if the rules will change to allow her to run or not but I don't see her running.

He made a big deal? He gave his response to a journalist.

We'll find out in a few weeks if the rules will change to allow her to run or not but I don't see her running.

I presume she won't run too but there must be some doubt in Clement's mind. He didn't need to be so emphatic in his reply about her solemn vow etc. That was not a casual statement of fact:

“I think Rona Ambrose has been very clear, and she made a solemn vow prior to running for the interim leadership that she would not run for the leadership,” Clement told reporters Monday in Ottawa.

“I take Rona at her word. I think that she wants to maintain her integrity and credibility and she also wants to preserve the unity of the Conservative caucus, so to me, this is a non-issue.”

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

Michael Chong would be very attractive to people who have been outside the CPC in recent years. He could oust the Liberals next election and would have me consider voting Conservative.

I don't think his party will want him as leader though.

Chong is painfully aware of that lack of trust, especially on one crucial file: ''I think Conservatives need to rethink our positions on the environment, in particular on climate change.''

The battle over oil

Canadians for Clean Prosperity, a conservative NGO, released a survey in the lead up to the conference that found a startling pattern among former Conservative supporters. Fifty-three per cent of those that abandoned Harper between 2011 and 2015 were self-identified climate voters.

''The challenge for the CPC and their next leader is to give Canadians a credible, conservative action plan to address the threat of climate change,'' said executive director Mark Cameron in a release. ''Failure to do so could mean the continued decline of the Conservative vote share.''

http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2016/03/05/Michael-Chong-Next-Conservative-Leader/

Michael Chong would be very attractive to people who have been outside the CPC in recent years. He could oust the Liberals next election and would have me consider voting Conservative.

Your quote says that what really moves voters is climate change. Yet the Greens are nowhere and the NDP got hammered. And the people who have an overriding concern for climate change are morons and thus would be Liberal or NDP voters anyway.

Edited by Argus

Your quote says that what really moves voters is climate change. Yet the Greens are nowhere and the NDP got hammered. And the people who have an overriding concern for climate change are morons and thus would be Liberal or NDP voters anyway.

Now that's telling it like it is...

So when you whine and snivel about only posting insults when you're insulted first, that was a lie, correct?

Edited by The_Squid

In the latest leadership poll among Tories, I think Chong polled in the basement. I don't think he has a hope in hell, but he might bring forward some interesting ideas and topics worth reflecting on.

He doesn't have a chance, though Chong might very well have some good ideas, the anchor around his neck is his presentation and actions in Government.......his tenure may very well reflect the wishes of those who voted for him in his riding, but if said actions were desired by the party as a whole, the CPC would be a party of Chongs'.

So when you whine and snivel about only posting insults when you're insulted first, that was a lie, correct?

Did I insult you so that you felt the need to come on here blubbering and crying about my post? Let me reprint what I've already written before

The oil sands represents just 12% of Canada's CO2 emissions, and that Canada, in turn, represents just 1.67% of world CO2 emissions. China, by way of comparison, represents 28%, and is building coal fired power plants like they're going out of style. India represents 5.7% of world CO2 emissions, but plans to increase this by the equivalent of EVERYTHING Canada currently produces, every single year for the next twenty years.

In other words, India will be adding the equivalent of EIGHT oil sands emissions every single year.

So yes, anyone who is fixated on Canada battling climate change is moronic, given that even if we somehow, through destroying our economy, completely eliminated all emissions, that amount would be made up within months if not sooner by the growing CO2 emissions of other countries.

Edited by Argus

So yes, anyone who is fixated on Canada battling climate change is moronic, given that even if we somehow, through destroying our economy, completely eliminated all emissions, that amount would be made up within months if not sooner by the growing CO2 emissions of other countries.

your statements and references concerning China have been debunked. In spite of repeated challenges put to you, as I'm aware, you have never offered anything to substantiate your claims concerning India. More pointedly, as you've been apprised repeatedly, your continued and purposeful sole focus on Canada's domestic emission levels is simply a red-herring intended to ignore, as you do ignore, the emissions associated with Canadian oil&gas exports and the impact those exports have in terms of heightening/continuing long-term dependencies on fossil-fuels. Is your purposeful repeating of debunked statements/claims concerning China, your purposeful avoidance in substantiating your statements/claims concerning India, and your purposeful sole focus on Canada's domestic emission levels... is that... as you say, moronic? I don't read anyone labeling you a moran - such liberties you take!

The oil sands represents just 12% of Canada's CO2 emissions, and that Canada, in turn, represents just 1.67% of world CO2 emissions.

Interesting argument, do you think the judge will buy it when I say that the money I stole was such a small sum compared to all the money stolen in the world that I should be given a good boy star for being so insignificant?

In the latest leadership poll among Tories, I think Chong polled in the basement. I don't think he has a hope in hell, but he might bring forward some interesting ideas and topics worth reflecting on.

Nathan Cullen started in the basement of support as well and in a few months managed to pull off a strong third place in the NDP leadership race. In some polls Chong has polled similar numbers to Maxime Bernier, Tony Clement, Kellie Leitch and Lisa Raitt, all of whom should have much more name recognition.

Interesting argument, do you think the judge will buy it when I say that the money I stole was such a small sum compared to all the money stolen in the world that I should be given a good boy star for being so insignificant?

An absurd comparison. First, we're not doing anything wrong, let alone illegal. Second, there is only one atmosphere. If other nations are pouring swimming pools full of water into it every day, what difference does our bathtub make? We should beggar ourselves so that India and China can build more coal plants?

Yeah. Chong is a guy you want to have around for his input, but you don't want him actually making decisions.

If other nations are pouring swimming pools full of water into it every day, what difference does our bathtub make? We should beggar ourselves so that India and China can build more coal plants?

again: your statements and references concerning China have been debunked. In spite of repeated challenges put to you, as I'm aware, you have never offered anything to substantiate your claims concerning India. More pointedly, as you've been apprised repeatedly, your continued and purposeful sole focus on Canada's domestic emission levels is simply a red-herring intended to ignore, as you do ignore, the emissions associated with Canadian oil&gas exports and the impact those exports have in terms of heightening/continuing long-term dependencies on fossil-fuels.

your statements and references concerning China have been debunked.

By whom? Most certainly not by anything you've ever written.

http://www.climatechangedispatch.com/forget-paris-asia-building-500-new-coal-power-plants-this-year-alone.html

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2015/may/27/why-india-is-captured-by-carbon

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/india-has-big-plans-for-burning-coal/

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/542091/indias-energy-crisis/

Given the above, it is ludicrous for Canada to spend itself into the poorhouse in a desperate attempt to reduce carbon emissions, and any would-be Conservative leader who makes such a proposal will fail.

Edited by Argus

Why don't they have a chance?

Bernier's past calls his judgement into question, plus he's a French Quebecer. There will be a reflexive backlash against the idea, especially from the West, of all three federal leaders being French Quebecers. Chong has no following nor is he particularly charismatic.

I'm guessing it will wind up being between McCay and Kenney.

Edited by Argus