CPC Leadership Predictions

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh to know the 'Civitas secret handshake'! Macleans' Paul Wells references this weekends latest Civitas gathering as his lead-in to his, 'Potential Conservative leaders are vying for a tarnished crown'... noting in particular that in 2003, Harper used a speech to Civitas to launch his bid to reform Canadian conservatism. No word yet on the opening from last night that saw a debate on the resolution, "Be it resolved: The Harper government was a success"

Early progress has been shaky. Maxime Bernier, who was once actually Canada’s foreign minister, probably has the strongest brand identity in the early going. He is for the opposite of Harperism: socially laissez-faire, fiscally strongly libertarian. He leads a small, fervent faction in the party, too small to do him much good. He faces an uphill climb.

Kellie Leitch, the Ontario pediatric surgeon, has an experienced campaign staff of Ontario Tories, no perceptible support in the federal caucus and a hard time explaining why she proposed a telephone tip line for “barbaric cultural practices” during last year’s election campaign. She is now sorry she did it. It’s not really a platform.

Jason Kenney, the architect of the Conservatives’ ethnic outreach, had a bad 2015: his party did everything but drive immigrant voters to the polling station so they could vote Liberal. On Twitter you can see him test-driving elements of a new appeal: resentment at lefty media bias, nostalgia for a “special relationship” with the U.K., and persistent Ralph Klein hero-worship. That last should deliver Kenney most of the party’s Alberta and Saskatchewan support. Kenney is at least trying to block off areas he can secure against other candidates.

If anyone uses Civitas to test-drive leadership pitches, the rest of us won’t hear about it. But no pretender to Harper’s tarnished crown has much time. The party’s national convention is in Vancouver at the end of May. The party will elect a new leader a year later. The next campaign against Justin Trudeau will be two years after that. If that seems like a long time to you, it’s because you don’t have to do it. To the one who does, every day of it will feel like a sprint.

I never said it would. Hell, I hope you choose him.

If he does run, yes I personally would consider him.........but that doesn't explain why you claim him to be the worse Speaker of the House in all of Canadian history, well lacking in personal integrity........is this just team A vs team B partisan attack, or do you have anything concrete? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm actually interested in why you proclaim the above......

Rona! Rona! Rona!

let the infighting begin... let's see how willing other potential candidates are to changing the CPC rules.

but clearly, the bench strength is deep to have caused a RonaReach! :lol:

I think that actual data from the poll is interesting.......Outside of the East Coast, in a race with Ambrose in it, Mackay is a distant third.....with Ambrose finding comparative numbers with O'Leary in Ontario and a healthy lead in Quebec, that should dispel the suggestion by some that a Western Tory leader will divide the party again.......inversely, O' Leary blows the doors off Kenney in the West, with similar numbers in the Ontario.

Without Ambrose, Mackay's numbers rebound in the West, largely besting everyone else on the field, with O'Leary a close second everywhere else...........

Though I'd be interested in post next months convention numbers, including if the motion passes allowing Ambrose to run (if she wants to), for party unity and popularity, it should clearly be draft one of Rona/Peter/Kevin......

Wow... The CPC seem really desperate fora leader... any leader...

Really? Where is the evidence of this supposed desperation in that they've gone about it in a pretty lackadaisical fashion. They're certainty in no rush.

Really? Where is the evidence of this supposed desperation in that they've gone about it in a pretty lackadaisical fashion. They're certainty in no rush.

some, certainly not the waldo, would suggest a 'draft Rona' initiative, in the face of a sorely lacking depth bench... is tilting the desperation meter.

some, certainly not the waldo, would suggest a 'draft Rona' initiative, in the face of a sorely lacking depth bench... is tilting the desperation meter.

Wow imagine that! Some party members are putting their support towards another party member. OMG the sheer desperation of it all!! As far as a "sorely lacking depth bench" would anyone on the right meet the high standards of "the Dil" er sorry "the Waldo".

Typical drivel from the lefties.

If he does run, yes I personally would consider him.........but that doesn't explain why you claim him to be the worse Speaker of the House in all of Canadian history, well lacking in personal integrity........is this just team A vs team B partisan attack, or do you have anything concrete? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm actually interested in why you proclaim the above......

Given your predilection for intellectual dishonesty, I don't feel the need to point out his biased decisions to you. They've already been discussed in the past here and in the media by pundits. He was shameful as speaker of the house, but I don't think anything short of dropping his pants and pissing on the commons floor would sway you. Even then, you'd probably defend his right to relieve himself wherever he chooses. Edited by cybercoma

Wow imagine that! Some party members are putting their support towards another party member.

try to keep up/current, hey! CPC rules explicitly prevent an interim leader from running for the leadership of the party. That support you speak to is predicated upon agreement by the party members to change the existing rule; as I said, let the infighting begin as, clearly, the very reason for that rule is that the public/media/Parliamentary exposure that interim position provides is a huuuuge advantage.

Given your predilection for intellectual dishonesty, I don't feel the need to point out his biased decisions to you. They've already been discussed in the past here and in the media by pundits. He was shameful as speaker of the house, but I don't think anything short of dropping his pants and pissing on the commons floor would sway you. Even then, you'd probably defend his right to relieve himself wherever he chooses.

So much as I expected, your own biased hyperbole.......I thought you had something like he was on the take or some past unannounced scandal/backroom dealings....

try to keep up/current, hey! CPC rules explicitly prevent an interim leader from running for the leadership of the party. That support you speak to is predicated upon agreement by the party members to change the existing rule; as I said, let the infighting begin as, clearly, the very reason for that rule is that the public/media/Parliamentary exposure that interim position provides is a huuuuge advantage.

As noted in your link, the rule change requires only 100 riding association delegates to pass.........not a huge hurdle, the bigger question is if she's interested.......to date, all her public statements would suggest that she isn't.

As to infighting, of the potential leaders polled in your link, I would question if there would be "infighting" (Her support is representative across the country) and as polled leads the field, when included, in nearly every other category, with only O'Leary and to a lesser degree Mackay anywhere close.......to date, the only two declared candidates don't come anywhere near her in their own provinces.....

.......The only "problem" with said poll, Ambrose, Mackay and O'Leary haven't entered the race........

So much as I expected, your own biased hyperbole.......I thought you had something like he was on the take or some past unannounced scandal/backroom dealings....

ya ya, the fact he wouldn't reign in the antics of several Harper cabinet ministers who refused to respond to direct questions... his weasely "excuse" suggesting (I paraphrase), "there's a reason it's called Question Period, and not Answer Period"! :lol:

As to infighting, of the potential leaders polled in your link, I would question if there would be "infighting"

of course there will be infighting! Rona's profile has been raised significantly over the last half-year; a huge advantage over any other potential candidates. If she's allowed to run for the leadership... and continues as interim leader, as leader of the Opposition, that advantage continues/grows.

ya ya, the fact he wouldn't reign in the antics of several Harper cabinet ministers who refused to respond to direct questions... his weasely "excuse" suggesting (I paraphrase), "there's a reason it's called Question Period, and not Answer Period"! :lol:

I see, so claims of bias by then minority parties make him the "worse Speaker in Canadian history"..............excuse me, but I would have thought a Speaker that denied an emergency debate over Canada obtaining nuclear weapons, with the Cuban missile crisis dominating the news of the day, as perhaps eking out the title......... :rolleyes:

None the less, Scheer (or Rempel) weren't included in said polling, so as it stands its likely a moot point.

of course there will be infighting! Rona's profile has been raised significantly over the last half-year; a huge advantage over any other potential candidates. If she's allowed to run for the leadership... and continues as interim leader, as leader of the Opposition, that advantage continues/grows.

Says you..........I might have agreed to "infighting" if the so called front-runners were all regional candidates and held support in only said regions and/or were divided into Reform/PC/Socred/Libertarian camps etc.........but as indicated in your poll, and granted it is but one poll, that is clearly not the case..........

........As to "advantage", I would assume said poll results could be due to name recognition over the others........or that ~2/3rds of Conservatives want one of Ambrose, Mackay or O'Leary.

Kinda like those drafting Bob Rae when Trudeau was the alternative.

your timing/recollection is off - prior to Rae formally bailing out, Trudeau wasn't even in the picture as a possible leadership candidate for the Liberal party.

your timing/recollection is off - prior to Rae formally bailing out, Trudeau wasn't even in the picture as a possible leadership candidate for the Liberal party.

He had started to reconsider whether he would enter before Rae completely ruled out running. And as of now Rona is being drafted when there's only two long shot candidates in the race. I don't think many believed Trudeau wouldn't actually enter anyway.

Edited by Newfoundlander

He had started to reconsider whether he would enter before Rae completely ruled out running. And as of now Rona is being drafted when there's only two long shot candidates in the race. I don't think many believed Trudeau wouldn't actually enter anyway.

reconsider? Trudeau hadn't even... considered! Any draft movement was one to 'draft Trudeau'... long after Rae had already pulled the pin.