CPC Leadership Predictions

I don't think he's wrong about that. Most people agree with him, anyway. The Liberals have ran the country for about 75% of its history for a reason.

The reason is the tribal vote from Quebec. Francophones will not vote for an Anglo unless there is no Francophone available.

What that means is Canada is run for the benefit of Quebec and Ontario. The regions are treated like colonies to be used to enrich central Canada.

Edited by Argus

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?

Because he's a candidate who's only focused on economic/fiscal issues and while the party is talking about how can we come up with conservative policies for the environment, health care and what not, he's saying that none of those issues matter until we improve the economy. The economy might not be the best at the moment but it's still not awful. I thought it was a polarizing speech that few non-ideologues would appreciate. I like Kevin O'Leary but I think him entering politics would be awful.

Oh yeah, the rest of us are doing terribly. :rolleyes:

Atlantic Canada is an impoverished region whose people have now been addicted to welfare and pogey to the point they have a culture of dependency. The prairies are hurting, and the only thing keeping BC afloat is the proceeds of crime and corruption flooding in from China.

Because he's a candidate who's only focused on economic/fiscal issues and while the party is talking about how can we come up with conservative policies for the environment, health care and what not, he's saying that none of those issues matter until we improve the economy. The economy might not be the best at the moment but it's still not awful. I thought it was a polarizing speech that few non-ideologues would appreciate. I like Kevin O'Leary but I think him entering politics would be awful.

I think having someone in politics who says what he thinks would be a good thing. And the economy is the basis for everything else. if you don't have a healthy economy you don't have the money for the rest. Sound fiscal management is the basis of a lot of conservative support. Those who care a lot about the environment will NEVER vote Conservative under any circumstance whatsoever. There is no point trying to appeal to people who despise you. All you accomplish is souring your base.

Atlantic Canada is an impoverished region

That's a relative term. Newfoundland is far wealthier than Ontario or Quebec. Nova Scotia and New Brunswick are only slightly less wealthy than Quebec.

The prairies are hurting

Alberta and Saskatchewan are doing poorly at the moment, but are, each, far wealthier than Ontario or Quebec. Manitoba is less wealthy than Ontario and more wealthy than Quebec.

and the only thing keeping BC afloat is the proceeds of crime and corruption flooding in from China.

That's pure ignorance on your part. Maybe you should visit there? Anyway, BCs economy is on par with Ontario.

Edited by Smallc

That's a relative term. Newfoundland is far wealthier than Ontario or Quebec. Nova Scotia is only slightly less wealthy than Quebec.

Alberta and Saskatchewan are doing poorly at the moment, but are, each, far wealthier than Ontario or Quebec. Manitoba is less wealthy than Ontario and more wealthy than Quebec.

That's pure ignorance on your part. Maybe you should visit there? Anyway, BCs economy is on par with Ontario.

I'd be interested in learning which fantasy dictionary you're taking the term "wealthy" from.

I think having someone in politics who says what he thinks would be a good thing. And the economy is the basis for everything else.

Harper isn't in power anymore. People obviously want politicians that can do other things - walk and chew gum at the same time.

I'd be interested in learning which fantasy dictionary you're taking the term "wealthy" from.

Per capita GDP. Newfoundland and Labrador has a per capita GDP 28% higher than the national average:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equalization_payments_in_Canada#Regional_fiscal_disparities_in_Canada

If you want newer numbers, I can do the math for you with Statistics Canada data.

Edited by Smallc

Harper isn't in power anymore. People obviously want politicians that can do other things - walk and chew gum at the same time.

Ah, so Harper was an idiot compared to that sterling Genius you've come to worship, Justin Trudeau? LOL

Yes, people want more cute young men who will smile and do and say nothing of substance!

Per capita GDP. Newfoundland and Labrador has a per capita GDP 28% higher than the national average:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equalization_payments_in_Canada#Regional_fiscal_disparities_in_Canada

If you want newer numbers, I can do the math for you with Statistics Canada data.

I'm sure Newfoundland's 12.3% unemployment rate compared to Ontario's 6.5% is more than offset in their minds by their delight that some rich corporations pulling in a lot of oil money.

I'm sure Newfoundland's 12.3% unemployment rate compared to Ontario's 6.5% is more than offset in their minds by their delight that some rich corporations pulling in a lot of oil money.

That's their problem, isn't it?

Ah, so Harper was an idiot compared to that sterling Genius you've come to worship, Justin Trudeau? LOL

Yes, people want more cute young men who will smile and do and say nothing of substance!

Harper did very little for a decade. At least the new guy can smile.

I think having someone in politics who says what he thinks would be a good thing. And the economy is the basis for everything else. if you don't have a healthy economy you don't have the money for the rest. Sound fiscal management is the basis of a lot of conservative support. Those who care a lot about the environment will NEVER vote Conservative under any circumstance whatsoever. There is no point trying to appeal to people who despise you. All you accomplish is souring your base.

No offence but I think your argument is totally wrong. I agree the economy is fundamental and very central to everything but the vast majority care about a lot of other issues too. People understand the party can do fine when it comes to economic and fiscal management but they care about more than that.

Just because environmentalists won't vote Conservative doesn't mean the party cannot appeal to people who think taking care of the environment is important. There's not many out there who don't think it's an important issue. The party could put heavier focus on conservation for instance. The Conservatives previously ran on pricing carbon so there's no reason why we cannot come up with a policy around that. As a side note, Brian Mulroney is considered to have been the best prime minister when it came to the environment so there's no reason the party cannot pay attention to the issue. There are issues like health care though that are becoming more and more important for people.

The party's base is about 30% so if you're satisfied with being in opposition then solely focusing on the economy is probably a good idea. If you want to form a government the party is going to need to broaden its policy ideas and getting voters back who went NDP or Liberal this time.

Newfoundland and Labrador has the second highest weekly earning out of the 10 provinces. People in Alberta make just over $100 a week more than Newfoundlanders and Labradorians.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/160225/dq160225b-eng.htm?HPA

Though there are many economic struggles and unemployment is very high. Things are going to be downhill for the province but yes it had been far richer than most other province's for some years.

Just because environmentalists won't vote Conservative doesn't mean the party cannot appeal to people who think taking care of the environment is important. There's not many out there who don't think it's an important issue. The party could put heavier focus on conservation for instance.

Let me rephrase. The Conservatives did care about traditional environmental issues like clean air and water. What they don't are much about is the new radical environmentalism which is all about anti-capitalism. I's an absurd mixture of Marxist philosophy and neo-luddism which opposes all resource extraction on general principal and rejects any and all concern for economics.

We almost never hear anything about traditional environmentalism any more. The neo-luddites have taken over and are as fanatical as their namesake. Compromise with such people is not possible.

Edited by Argus

Newfoundland and Labrador has the second highest weekly earning out of the 10 provinces. People in Alberta make just over $100 a week more than Newfoundlanders and Labradorians.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/160225/dq160225b-eng.htm?HPA

Though there are many economic struggles and unemployment is very high. Things are going to be downhill for the province but yes it had been far richer than most other province's for some years.

With 12% unemployment. Sure. What Newfoundland and Labrador have is oil income and welfare. Those are its primary sources of income. And by 'welfare' I include pogey and other federal subsidies.

Let me rephrase. The Conservatives did care about traditional environmental issues like clean air and water. What they don't are much about is the new radical environmentalism which is all about anti-capitalism. I's an absurd mixture of Marxist philosophy and neo-luddism which opposes all resource extraction on general principal and rejects any and all concern for economics.

We almost never hear anything about traditional environmentalism any more. The neo-luddites have taken over and are as fanatical as their namesake. Compromise with such people is not possible.

And what's all that gibberish have to do with our current government?

Those people would be a non-faction for any party besides the Greens. We do not need to appeal to radicals, we need to appeal to the majority who think something needs to be done by government to address green house gas emissions and other environmental matters.