CPC Leadership Predictions

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best you could do i guess, 9 years in power,won 100 seats, but now they must become more like the liberals

They already were like the Liberals. The parts where they weren't were the reasons that they lost.

They already were like the Liberals. The parts where they weren't were the reasons that they lost.

They lost not because of policies but because Harper was Mr. Bland instead of Mr Sunshine.

Edited by Argus

People criticize the Conservatives for being too far right and being social conservatives but I never get a clear answers on how they are. There's definitely scattered policies but I can't think of how social conservatism - for instance - has played a fundamental role in policy decisions.

Progressives are extremely suspicious, to the point of paranoia, about people who don't think exactly as they do. They assumed the conservatives were simply hiding their determination to murder all homosexuals and put all abortion doctors in prison. It's what they wanted, you know! Just give them half a chance and that's what they'll do!! They're all racist nazi homophobic killers from the planet neptune!

The Conservatives will let you be anti-abortion, or pro-choice. You can be for or against the death penalty. You can be for or against assisted suicide, or for or against gay marriage. You can believe in climate change, or not That kind of openness to different viewpoints is anathema to progressives. You have no such rights in the NDP or Liberal party. Your choices are made by those who have your best interests at heart and you better follow them or else!

Edited by Argus

They lost because your mr. bland kept trying to ram through bills that contravened the charter. The rest of us got tired of paying the tab for the SCC to point that out over and over.

Only hysterical leftists cared about that. Most people didn't even notice or care. Most likely because that was mostly in the minds of the Left, rather than a reality.

The popular view that the relationship between the Conservative government under Stephen Harper and the Supreme Court of Canada was especially hostile appears to be misguided, a new study concludes.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/relationship-between-stephen-harper-and-supreme-court-not-especially-hostile-study-finds

Edited by Argus

Only hysterical leftists cared about that. Most people didn't even notice or care. Most likely because that was mostly in the minds of the Left, rather than a reality.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/relationship-between-stephen-harper-and-supreme-court-not-especially-hostile-study-finds

Sorry, but the polls say otherwise.

Sorry, but the polls say otherwise.

Really? You have a poll which shows that a large number of Canadian voters were concerned about Harper's bills being overruled by the Supreme Court? I'd be interested in seeing them please. My understanding was they mostly cared about the economy, but of course, I'm more than willing to learn...

Edited by Argus

Really? You have a poll which shows that a large number of Canadian voters were concerned about Harper's bills being overruled by the Supreme Court? I'd be interested in seeing them please. My understanding was they mostly cared about the economy, but of course, I'm more than willing to learn...

Oh there certainly was also concern for the economy. And that also helped get Harper out of government. I reckon that extra $150 billion to the debt helped with that decision. As to failed bills, it's hard to know where to begin: I guess c51 was one of the worst, but then there was c24, c31, mandatory minimum sentencing, assisted suicide, marijuana, senate reform, Marc Nadon, trying to close down insight, and on and on.

Canadians disagreed with the more conservative parts of their agenda.

Like what? The most conservative part of their agenda was cracking down on crime, and everyone I know, regardless of what party they support, favoured that.

Oh there certainly was also concern for the economy. And that also helped get Harper out of government. I reckon that extra $150 billion to the debt helped with that decision. As to failed bills, it's hard to know where to begin: I guess c51 was one of the worst, but then there was c24, c31, mandatory minimum sentencing, assisted suicide, marijuana, senate reform, Marc Nadon, trying to close down insight, and on and on.

So in other words... you don't have anything?

Only the politicized types put much effort into thinking about the supreme court. Most people barely gave it a thought.

Edited by Argus

Like what? The most conservative part of their agenda was cracking down on crime, and everyone I know, regardless of what party they support, favoured that.

I don't really count the illegal stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Kellie Leitch sounds like the first person to kick-off the leadership race.

Dr. Leitch was at the forefront of the "Barbaric Cultural Practices" tip line. I wonder if she will come out and admit how wrong she was in supporting that sort of nasty "identity politics" nonsense.

I thought she was a reasonable person and would have made a good leadership candidate until she was involved in that debacle.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-leadership-race-1.3519593

Edited by The_Squid

Kellie Leitch sounds like the first person to kick-off the leadership race.

Dr. Leitch was at the forefront of the "Barbaric Cultural Practices" tip line. I wonder if she will come out and admit how wrong she was in supporting that sort of nasty "identity politics" nonsense.

I thought she was a reasonable person and would have made a good leadership candidate until she was involved in that debacle.

Believe it or not, they probably won't even consider which candidates will be most acceptable to hard core left wing voters.

Believe it or not, they probably won't even consider which candidates will be most acceptable to hard core left wing voters.

Believe it ir not, the CPC are going to have to convince a few moderate people to vote for them

oh my! Is it your interpretation that the Liberal majority was won at the voting hands of your described "hard core left-wing voters"?

Prediction: CPC and NDP see the success of Trump and Sanders respectively. Both parties seek out even more radical right wing and left wing leaders as a result. This cements the Liberals as the moderate and centrist choice. Trudeau will be PM for 20 years consequently. lol

Nobody needs to do nothing, trudeau himself will bring down the liberals. When a female TO Star reporter starts complaining how tired people are getting with trudeau's penchant for the camera , there is trouble coming. There is a reason the liberals are keeping him out of country.

oh my! Is it your interpretation that the Liberal majority was won at the voting hands of your described "hard core left-wing voters"?

There are people - like you, for example - who can be relied on to vote Liberal. There are others who can be relied on to vote Conservative or NDP. The only group which really matters is those who are not committed and will switch back and forth. Those are the only people the Tories need to worry about attracting.