Forgive the non-mainstream source but there are plenty of corroborating articles out there - but this one seemed to sum things up quite nicely. The "fear mongering" that the Harper government is accused of is hardly that - and if the media would take the time to educate Canadians, we'd all be better for it......knowledge does tend to temper the divisiveness that the opposition parties would like to propagate....

I pointed out the rules in Egypt and in other Muslim countries to my niqab defending friends on Newstalk 580 in Ottawa and was told that didnt matter because those were not democratic countries. Funny, I was told requiring women to show their faces in certain situations was anti-Muslim, yet presented with evidence to the contrary of course the argument changed.

Well, Im not going to change the argument.

Niqab supporters have been claiming for years now, not months, that we must accept the creeping sharia that says niqabed women cannot show their face to anyone but another woman, if at all, out of respect for their religion. If that argument is true, and I disagree whole-heartedly, then Islamic universities and the government of an Islamic country like Egypt must hold some sway.

If the most prestigious Islamic university in the Sunni world can ban niqabs and the Egyptian government can require their removal for voting then surely we can do the same here. Islam has been in Canada for more than a century, with the niqab only coming to this country with the push of Saudi Wahabism here and around the world.

In Egypt they have been dealing with Islam for centuries, the vast majority of its inhabitants are Muslim, I think they know what they are doing.

Other Muslim countries have restrictions on the niqab as well.

Tunisia, Turkey and Azerbaijan all ban the niqab.

Turkey, to answer my radio colleagues that dont believe we should look to Muslim countries like Egypt for our guidance on the niqab, is actually a democracy. So too is France, Belgium and Holland three European countries that have banned the niqab outright.

Link: http://www.therebel.media/canada_s_proposed_niqab_restrictions_mild_compared

It always becomes about what our beloved, infalible, handed down to us by the gods, charter has to say, which is ultimately the rock they choose to hide behind every time they run out of other arguments, as if the charter can't somehow be wrong, yes, it's good for women and our society in general that we simply accept this practice, and even if it isn't, but but but, the charter. There is no right or wrong, there is, THE CHARTER, in all it's glorious perfection.

Forgive the non-mainstream source but there are plenty of corroborating articles out there - but this one seemed to sum things up quite nicely. The "fear mongering" that the Harper government is accused of is hardly that - and if the media would take the time to educate Canadians, we'd all be better for it......knowledge does tend to temper the divisiveness that the opposition parties would like to propagate....

Link: http://www.therebel.media/canada_s_proposed_niqab_restrictions_mild_compared

Gee... the last I read is that Egypt tried to ban the niqab but that it was overturned. True that some businesses put in their own bans, and that many (like Canada) dislike the idea of the niqab, but has the government actually really "banned" it?

Or is your "non-mainstream" news source twisting the facts just a little bit?

As for Turkey, they have had a head-scarve ban like FOREVER, but have, in fact, RELAXED those rules in 2013,. Furthermore, the ban in Turkey does not result in fewer people actually wearing it. Instead, it just means that women who wear it are arrested and persecuted by the government.

They arrest gay people in Egypt too.

Egyptian and Canadian right-wingers definitely go the extra mile to prove that conservatism is the stupidest ideology on the planet.

why not Canada?

Because the vast majority of Canadians do not subscribe to the stupidest ideology on the planet.

'They arrest gay people in Egypt too.'

So, arrest gays, but too progressive to wear niqab.

Your argument is?

That the suggestion we should follow Egypt's example because its such a progressive place compared to us is the stupidest idea yet to emerge from the ridiculous spectacle conservatives have been putting on display around this issue

That the suggestion we should follow Egypt's example because its such a progressive place compared to us is the stupidest idea yet to emerge from the ridiculous spectacle conservatives have been putting on display around this issue

It's definitely in the top 5 but the stupidest? I don't know - we have have to form a panel of judges.

The fact is, a regime as twisted as the one residing in Egypt isn't ridiculous enough to think the niqab is a good idea in court or schools. Yet, our own left wing here at home thinks it' s fine in all circumstances.

That is the epitome of ridiculousness.

btw, Pakistan, that fortress of forward thinking and human rights agrees. No niqab in courts or schools.

So why do you left wingers insist it's ok here in Canada?

So why do you left wingers insist it's ok here in Canada?

Speaking for myself it's because I think a state enforced ban is worse.

• It completely misses the mark, the misogynists
  • it reinforces the idea that women have less say in how they dress than society does
  • the state shouldn't stick it's nose in people's wardrobes.

Even Muslim countries ban niqab why not Canada !!!!!!

Because Canada unlike Muslim countries is a democracy (unless conservatives take over again) that is why freedom of choice is important unlike Muslim countries. Do you wish Canada to stoop to the level of those Muslim countries. If you desire such a country like Muslim countries then I suggest voting for conservative party may accomplish just that. Really I am surprised at your post Keepitsimple!!!! Really.!!!!!!!

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

No Niqab in Public and/or Official Situation in Canada

By Exegesisme

According to CONSTITUTION ACT, 1982, (1)

CANADIAN CHARTER OF RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS

" Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law:"

Guarantee of Rights and Freedoms

"Rights and freedoms in Canada

1. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society."

Equality Rights​

"Equality before and under law and equal protection and benefit of law

15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

Marginal note: Affirmative action programs

(2) Subsection (1) does not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration of conditions of disadvantaged individuals or groups including those that are disadvantaged because of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability. "

Wearing niqab publically and/or officially is unconstitutional. The reasons are:

1, Wearing niqab publically and/or officially makes unequal recognition of identity between the one wearing niqab and the one not wearing niqab.

2, The legal rights of self protection of each Canadian citizen should be equal, and these equal rights should not be different because of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

3, Each Canadian citizen and/or each group of Canadian citizens should understand the duty of conscience as a Canadian citizen or a group of Canadian citizens.

Reference

(1)

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/const/page-15.html#h-39

Edited by Exegesisme

The government has already allowed the Turban in the RCMP, I believe , so how can they stop the Niqab? If a government official sees who the woman is, what's the big deal.....what no gun registry to keep Harper's base supporting him? As I said before, what kind of person could support this corrupt party?

--SNIP--

I fail to see where the Charter guarantees me the right to 'recognize or identify' anyone else. Walking down the street the other day, I saw a guy wearing a cap, covered by a hoodie, with a full, bushy beard. I could see his eyes, but barely. Shall I demand he shave and remove his headgear to honor my 'Charter rights'?

Every day, I see people (especially females of Asian descent) wearing dust masks as they attempt to protect themselves from pollution. Should they also be forbidden to wear a 'mask'?

And what is 'equal rights of self-protection' supposed to mean? I'm *guessing* it means that if someone is wearing a niqab, the non-wearing niqab person is somehow at risk? Which is ridiculous, since niqab wearing women do not pose a threat to me or anyone else, any more than another individual I might see in public. In fact, I daresay I'm at less risk of being attacked/killed by a woman wearing a niqab than I am by a bearded white man wearing a ball cap.

In any case, it looking hopeful that Harper will not have the chance to even think of passing such poor legislation.

Edited by Charles Anthony
--SNIP-- deleted re-copied Opening Post

It doesn't matter which other country does it, its still an infringement on personal rights. And, even if the goal were to help these women avoid/escape subjugation, it wouldn't work.

Yes well stated comments. No democratic government has the right to decide for adult women what is good for them. No mistake, I am very much against niqab but we live in a democracy and that is what separates us from other countries where citizens are risking their lives to achieve what we have and the conservative party of Canada wishes to destroy it.