Is that how you get along each day? Believing you're more righteous than the other 90 percent of us,

Yes, I have no problem believing that at all.

it doesn't occur to you that the portion you belong to might be small for o idk, exactly the opposite reason? Sort of like the goths that inhabited my high school all those years ago, a tiny group of people dressing like idiots collectively expressing their individuality while dressed like clones of each other thinking that everyone else were the losers, right, thats, what it is, you valiant few, you righteous few, if only you were in charge.

Nope.

Its no wonder you're ilk is so desperate for changes in the electoral system, how could you not think you should hold the balance of power when you have such a high opinion of yourselves and such a low one of the other 90 percent of us.

Because our Charter says your ilk's desire to see your opinions turned into law is beneath our contempt.

The TPP is far from done, and we MAY, finally, be out of recession. But keep tryin'.

Officially not in recession.

And, thanks to Harper, TPP is almost a done deal.

Mr. Mulcair has stated he would not even look at it. Nice leaving Canada in the wake. NDP modus operandi though.

...and all I personally had to do was vote Harper....which, of course, I'll be doing again.

Yep.

Some of them are bigots, but others are morons. These people are commenting on news stories online and they don't even realize that the woman is identified in private and does all the paperwork before the ceremony. So it's not just bigots who support the ban, but also the woefully misinformed idiots out there too.

So it's not just bigots who support the ban, but also the woefully misinformed idiots out there too.

So people calling for the ban of the confederate flag because of what it symbolizes are bigots? I did not realize that.

Of course the point you are ignoring is they are swearing an oath before a judge and although you clearly think oath swearing is a joke it is reasonable for others to have the opinion that when one is swearing an oath one should show one's face. There is no bigotry or prejudice involved in that opinion - just a feeling that an oath should be treated with some seriousness.

Edited by TimG

Some of them are bigots, but others are morons. These people are commenting on news stories online and they don't even realize that the woman is identified in private and does all the paperwork before the ceremony. So it's not just bigots who support the ban, but also the woefully misinformed idiots out there too.

Oh come on CC. Do we really need to label dissenting voices on the niqabs as bigots and morons or misinformed. We all have an opinion on the niqab for different reasons. It really doesn't matter who the woman is or when she is identified to some of us. But, please don't label us with those derogatory terms. It's insulting to us and to the integrity of this site. Let's be civil and let everyone express an opinion even if it may not agree with you.

Oh come on CC. Do we really need to label dissenting voices on the niqabs as bigots and morons or misinformed. We all have an opinion on the niqab for different reasons. It really doesn't matter who the woman is or when she is identified to some of us. But, please don't label us with those derogatory terms. It's insulting to us and to the integrity of this site. Let's be civil and let everyone express an opinion even if it may not agree with you.

This has nothing to do with opinions on the niqab. I think the thing is retarded... I wouldnt be caught dead in one. I have a very negative opinion of that garment.

This about 2 other things...

1. The governments role in society... should they be telling people what to wear?

2. The importance of this issue... why are we even talking about it?

This has nothing to do with opinions on the niqab. I think the thing is retarded... I wouldnt be caught dead in one. I have a very negative opinion of that garment.

This about 2 other things...

1. The governments role in society... should they be telling people what to wear?

2. The importance of this issue... why are we even talking about it?

That doesn't mean members should be called bigots, morons and mis-informed. Everyone has an opinion on the matter. That doesn't make them wrong.

So people calling for the ban of the confederate flag because of what it symbolizes are bigots? I did not realize that.

The confederate flag is just a piece of cloth with some colors on it. The government should not be banning that EITHER. However the confederate flag issue in the US is a little different... Governments were flying that flag on public property, and in cases where enough people didnt like it they were pressured to stop doing that.

The Canadian government is not displaying or promoting the niqab on public property, but yes... if it was, then thats something it should stop doing.

This is not about 'telling people what to wear'. This is about whether governments should set standards for proper attire during oath swearings just like many companies and other organizations establish dress codes. The argument that there should be no standards is just absurd which means we are simply debating about whether niqabs should fall in or outside those standards.

That doesn't mean members should be called bigots, morons and mis-informed. Everyone has an opinion on the matter. That doesn't make them wrong.

Ok well for the record I dont think you are a bigot, or misinformed, or a moron. However... if you read through the posts on this issue, you will notice that a number of the people who go on and on about the niqab also have a history of posting all kinds of other negative stuff about muslims. Those people probably fit the definition of bigots, although I wasnt personally throwing that around.

I DO think its moronic that we are even having this discussion but to that end Im just as guilty as anyone else I guess :P

Slow news cycle?

This is not about 'telling people what to wear'. This is about whether governments should set standards for proper attire during oath swearings just like many companies and other organizations establish dress codes. The argument that there should be no standards is just absurd which means we are simply debating about whether niqabs should fall in or outside those standards.

And various courts have deemed they fall outside. Are you really fretting over it?

ROFLMAO.... Now THAT is funny

Why don't you address the argument? Courts in Canada require lawyers and judges to wear specific clothing. The witnesses and the accused are expected to dress in ways that reflect the seriousness of the occasion. There is a time and place for everything and the fact that one can were a speedo on the beach if you like does not mean it should be allowed when you are being sworn by an officer of the court.

This is about whether governments should set standards for proper attire during oath swearings

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the government did set the standard through the Citizenship Act. The government decided it didn't want to follow its own laws, passed by parliament and given royal assent, so Jason Kenney wrote up a bigoted policy, not a legislated act passed by parliament, to show what a big man he is and how tough he could be on those evil Muslims trying to overrun the country by becoming citizens. If the government followed their legislated standards, we wouldn't even be talking about it. Instead the government tried to get citizenship judges to break the law and discriminate against niqabi women.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the government did set the standard through the Citizenship Act.

Please reference the text in the law which you say the government is ignoring.

Instead the government tried to get citizenship judges to break the law and discriminate against niqabi women.

They set the standard that one's face must be visible when swearing an oath. Only niqab wearing zealots seem to want to insist on wearing masks. You have little or no patience for religious zealots in general. What is it that makes you so willing to accommodate zealotry here? Oh I know: because the zealots aren't christian and passing laws forcing christian zealots to conform to social norms is perfectly acceptable but non-christian zealots must be accommodated. Edited by TimG

Please reference the text in the law which you say the government is ignoring.

If you haven't even read the court decisions on the niqabi issue, then piss off. I don't give a crap about your ignorant uninformed opinions on the issue. I've provided links to the legislation and posted the exact wording numerous times in the niqabi ban thread.

They set the standard that one's face must be visible when swearing an oath. Only niqab wearing zealots seem to want to insist on wearing masks. You have little or no patience for religious zealots in general. What is it that makes you so willing to accommodate zealotry here? Oh I know: because the zealots aren't christian and passing laws forcing christian zealots to conform to social norms is perfectly acceptable but non-christian zealots must be accommodated.

You don't even know the law nor the court decisions. All you're doing is running off with your opinionated ignorance. Get back to me when you actually understand the court cases and have read the decisions.

If you haven't even read the court decisions on the niqabi issue, then piss off. I don't give a crap about your ignorant uninformed opinions on the issue. I've provided links to the legislation and posted the exact wording numerous times in the niqabi ban thread. You don't even know the law nor the court decisions. All you're doing is running off with your opinionated ignorance. Get back to me when you actually understand the court cases and have read the decisions.

Now I see - you actually agree with the vast majority of Canadians that Niqabs should be "unveiled" during the Oath.....it's just that in this case, the court disagreed with how the "rules" were implemented. See - we're not that far apart, are we? <_<

Hint: We're not debating the technically-correct court decision anymore - we're debating the merits of the position of the overwhelming majority of Canadians....

I believe that it depends on what reasons you give for your opinion.

I fully agree. If I say that I view the niqab as a repression on women and am against its use then that is a useful and valid position. If I say I view the niqab as a womans freedom of choice and am not against it then that is a useful and valid opinion.

When you express an opinion that somehow Muslims are inferior to others then that crosses the line - to me.

Because you do not agree with the cultural or religious practices of another population does not make your superior or theirs inferior.