Cecil the Lion and the Phenomena of Public Shaming.

Boges

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B-C posted a link showing costs of hunting. A male lion was listed at $25,000. It was reported that the good dentist paid $50,000. Clearly, he knew he was breaking the law, and was willing to pay double for the pleasure.

Aeveral ppl have also alluded to the fact that killing lions and other endangered species brings Africans much needed money. These safaris are not sustainable, yet Eco tourism certainly is.

if you read the swill from the pro-hunting organization, Safari Club International, they're all about conservation! Apparently, these high costs that BigBwana's are willing to spend to "take" a lion are really the incentive behind conservation... that if there was little/no value for "taking" the lions, the indigenous peoples would simply kill them all!

and that sanitized language used: "taken" sounds so benign... cause, apparently, "taken" isn't killing!

another shot of this same a-hole in action... what a guy! A real "man's man"!

walter-palmer-leopard.jpg

Well, I'm pretty consistent in my views, they're all heinous and bad but there is something extra disgusting about killing for fun. It's akin to the mentality of serial-killers.

True that the Inuit hunting of the Bow head Whales are for food. But it is done for native traditions.

Many people from western nations also hunt for traditional purposes.

My parents are from Sao Miguel Acores Portugal. Whaling was a deeply rooted tradition there at one time. I've even seen a large bronze statue (maybe in Capeles?) in tribute to the past whaling practice.But the Portuguese recognized that whales are an intelligent being that has the same right to exist as we have.

The Inuit have other reliable sources of food and the hunting of Bow head Whales MUST stop immediately!

We agree that this lust for killing must stop regardless of where it occurs.

I'm disappointed that the finger of blame is always pointed at other sovereign nations, seldom at western one.

One exemption would be Spanish/Portuguese bull fighting.

WWWTT

Clue for Cecil the Lion lovers...for Africa..."if it pays...it stays". And that includes trophy hunting. Nothing special about lions in the competition for land and resources. Wanna buy some bush meat ?

Laws in Canada also allow farmers to shoot and kill animals that come on their property to kill livestock, chickens etc.

When I lived on my parents farm in Caledon, a neighbors chickens were getting eaten by another neighbors German sheppard dog that they would let lose from time to time. They were warned several times that if that dog comes around again, it's going to die!

And sure enough, that dog that liked to hunt chickens even though it's owner gave it enough food, got the bullet!

Rumour has it that when the OPP were called, the owner of the dead dog got a stiff warning and reminder of Canadian law!

WWWTT

oh my! Is this you championing the sport of factory-farmed animal killing? :lol:

Sport can be deemed an tradition!

The traditions of native Inuit hunting the Bow head whales are never contested.

This is a double standard towards African nations, etc etc.

WWWTT

Ya I guess the death of pig's, bovine, goats chicken etc etc are ok.

WWWTT

It is different. Those animals are raised to be food and are done so in a sustainable manner.

Hunting endangered species as a trophy isn't the same. It's not about cruelty.

Animals killing each other can be seen as cruel. It's about killing apex predators and weakening the ecosystem.

It is different. Those animals are raised to be food and are done so in a sustainable manner.

Animals killing each other can be seen as cruel. It's about killing apex predators and weakening the ecosystem.

I don't really disagree with this comment.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's always African nations, the rain forest nations, and basically non white western nations that these alleged crimes are occurring that seem to only garnish western attention.

Lots and lots of examples happening right here right now in western nations, but squat concern!

Is raising a pig for slaughter any different than raising an animal to hunt any different?

Screaming double standard!

WWWTT

I don't really disagree with this comment.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's always African nations, the rain forest nations, and basically non white western nations that these alleged crimes are occurring that seem to only garnish western attention.

Lots and lots of examples happening right here right now in western nations, but squat concern!

Is raising a pig for slaughter any different than raising an animal to hunt any different?

Screaming double standard!

WWWTT

Well I agree that people shouldn't be hunting whales like you posted earlier. I'm sure if it was banned First Nations would scream racism or something like that.

The Seal Hunt is only an issue because Seals are adorable. It's not like they're endangered or anything. A Good western example would be the Polar Bear, or the Florida Panther, or even the Alligator. Conservation efforts have really helped the Gator population. Conservation efforts are a lot harder in Africa because usually the governments are non-existent.

There was an awesome Vice piece about fishing off the coast of Somalia.

https://www.edf.org/blog/2015/03/20/hbos-vice-takes-hard-hitting-look-overfishing

In the piece it also talks about how conservation efforts in the Gulf Coast of the US has made the Snapper population immensely healthy.

Edited by Boges

Social media reaction? The perfect storm; A dentist (everybody hates dentists and they make too much money and either play golf all the time of trophy hunt), a trophy hunter (a person who kills for fun and pleasure - usually animals that are rare and difficult to kill), a cuddly animal victim (Cecil - a famous and "loveable" animal), subterfuge (Poor Cecil was lured out of his safe domain), savagery (Cecil was hurt and took some time to die, his head was cut off and he was skinned), illegality (the dentist is ACCUSED of knowing the Cecil was lured out), pictures (pics of the dentist with other kills tiger, bear etc) and journalists looking for some story to create outrage.

Meanwhile, the guy has written his patients to find another dentist and gone into hiding. Talking about mob mentality. Assuming he is telling the truth that he knew nothing about the luring he has been convicted by the court of public opinion without the opportunity or venue to defend himself - and it appears that he broke no laws.

This event shows how social media can be misused.

Edited by Big Guy

Not our call from Norte America to tell African nations what species can and can't be hunted because of "endangered status". My sister used to work for the WWF and they spent lots of time and money trying to protect lowland gorillas in Rwanda, with little regard for the people living under conditions that nobody here would tolerate. The genocide started right after she left.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

B-C posted a link showing costs of hunting. A male lion was listed at $25,000. It was reported that the good dentist paid $50,000. Clearly, he knew he was breaking the law, and was willing to pay double for the pleasure.

Aeveral ppl have also alluded to the fact that killing lions and other endangered species brings Africans much needed money. These safaris are not sustainable, yet Eco tourism certainly is.

If he wasn't aware to start with, you'd think he might have clued in when the guides made him wait until they'd lured the lion out of the national park before he shot him. I'm imagining the conversation went something like this:

Dr Walt: "Come on guys! That lion has been following us for miles! When do I get to shoot him??"

Guide 1: "No, Meester! You must wait!"

Guide 1, whispering to Guide 2: "cripes, Dembe, the whale is getting impatient. What do I tell him?"

Guide 2, driving: "I dunno, tell him it's bad luck or something."

Guide 1: "Meester! No can allowed shoot lion on sacred lands! Evil spirits will bring curse to family! Must drive farther!"

Dr Walt: "We better be off the sacred lands soon. I'm itching to kill something!"

Guide 2, whispering to Guide 1: "evil spirits? Nice one. You're laying on the accent a little thick, though."

-k

Not our call from Norte America to tell African nations what species can and can't be hunted because of "endangered status". My sister used to work for the WWF and they spent lots of time and money trying to protect lowland gorillas in Rwanda, with little regard for the people living under conditions that nobody here would tolerate. The genocide started right after she left.

It isn't "our" call. This hunt was illegal and the "guides" are being charged.

The hunt may have been illegal, but the larger issue of "big game" hunting safaris is not. Nothing special about lions in that regard.

If people want to do hunting to further Conservation efforts then fine.

But the public outrage to trophy hunting isn't wrong. If what happens to this guy will make people think twice about taking part in poaching, it's a good thing.

Yeah I know you'll predict it won't. OK we'll see then.

If people want to do hunting to further Conservation efforts then fine.

Has less to do with conservation and more to do with economic survival. Apex predators and many other species are widely hunted around the world.

But the public outrage to trophy hunting isn't wrong. If what happens to this guy will make people think twice about taking part in poaching, it's a good thing.

Yeah I know you'll predict it won't. OK we'll see then.

Screw public outrage....a bunch of weenies on Facebook and Twitter wouldn't last one day in Africa.

if you read the swill from the pro-hunting organization, Safari Club International, they're all about conservation! Apparently, these high costs that BigBwana's are willing to spend to "take" a lion are really the incentive behind conservation... that if there was little/no value for "taking" the lions, the indigenous peoples would simply kill them all!

and that sanitized language used: "taken" sounds so benign... cause, apparently, "taken" isn't killing!

another shot of this same a-hole in action... what a guy! A real "man's man"!

walter-palmer-leopard.jpg

He looks about as stupid as Putin did in a similar pose.