Microaggressions

Alex Jones

Oh, it's that idiot's website. Ok, fair point.

I just saw a link to the article, looked at the title and then posted it because I was in a rush.

I don't get upset when I see people in Viking Halloween costumes

But you should be as they are expropriating your culture or whatever. Anyway, the SJWs are being offended for you.

Like for example, a person of Colombian heritage can't wear a Miriachi costume for halloween because it's apparently offensive to Colombian people according to SJWs. http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2015/10/31/school-bans-hispanic-students-hispanic-halloween-costume/

Witch costumes are offensive to Wiccans. Vampire costumes are offensive to Transylvanians.

And halloween is a merger of many different cultural events, so is itself offensive. Celebrating halloween is offensive to celtic pagans and should therefore be banned to prevent offense and microaggressions!

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like for example, a person of Colombian heritage can't wear a Miriachi costume for halloween because it's apparently offensive to Colombian people according to SJWs.

This quote from your link really captures the absurdity of the costume police:

The idea that culture can be “appropriated” has become increasingly popular among social justice warriors and campus activists, and other “cultural appropriation” controversies have hit the headlines in recent months. This summer, SJW protesters staged sit-ins at a museum where visitors were allowed to wear the traditional Japanese Kimono, although they also faced a counter-protest by Japanese-Americans, who wore Kimonos and held signs welcoming others to share their culture.

The trouble with the "costume police" and any other PC inanities is not whether there are some scenarios where more sensitivity would be appropriate but who gets to decide whether any given situation is appropriate or not. The PC groups seem to think that only they should decide what is appropriate but why do should they be entitled to decide? How are these people any different from the Puritans of days gone by that shamed women for failing to conform to the norms society at the time?

Edited by TimG

Tell that to ex-UoM pres Tim Wolfe.

Nothing about Tim Wolfe's resignation has anything to do with "microaggressions". Students were protesting because they thought he had failed to respond to a series of racist incidents on campus. The incidents in question weren't "microaggression". Smearing a swastika onto a dormitory wall using human excrement, racial epithets being shouted at black students and staff, and celebrating Black History Month by dumping loads of cotton balls in front of the Black Students Center... that stuff isn't "microaggression", it's flat out racist aggression.

-k

Smearing a swastika onto a dormitory wall using human excrement

To be fair, can you explain how this is necessarily racist against black people?

Maybe it was targetting Jewish people.

Maybe it was some random drunk idiot.

But when you have massive confirmation bias like these SJWs, everything has to fit a certain narrative.

To be fair, can you explain how this is necessarily racist against black people?

Maybe it was targetting Jewish people.

Maybe it was some random drunk idiot.

But when you have massive confirmation bias like these SJWs, everything has to fit a certain narrative.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm not sure what further steps Mr Wolfe ought to have taken, or whether calls for his resignation were justified. I have no interest in attempting to defend everything anti-racism activists do. I find some of it pretty ridiculous.

However, none of this stuff could be described as "microaggression", and that's what I was pointing out above.

-k

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm not sure what further steps Mr Wolfe ought to have taken, or whether calls for his resignation were justified. I have no interest in attempting to defend everything anti-racism activists do. I find some of it pretty ridiculous.

However, none of this stuff could be described as "microaggression", and that's what I was pointing out above.

-k

Just like over time reality changed your mind about the blacklivesmatter movement, so to you will eventually understand about the movement that harps endlessly on about things like "microaggressions". As much as it would be nice if it were true, they aren't simply there to provide people with helpful advice on how to not accidentally offend others.

More isolated anecdotal examples of Universities being painfully politically correct. :rolleyes:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/university-ottawa-yoga-cultural-sensitivity-1.3330441

A yoga instructor who says her free class at the University of Ottawa was cancelled because of concerns over cultural appropriation believes the student union's issues are misplaced.

Jen Scharf said she's been teaching a free yoga class for the university's Centre for Students with Disabilities, which is run by the Student Federation of the University of Ottawa, for the last seven years.

Here's an interesting article about "political correctness" and free speech/censorship on north american university campuses. I guess wearing Halloween costumes featuring cultures that aren't your own are microaggressions too?

Screw that, I'll wear whatever I want, free speech and GTFO. I think our society, especially our young people, need to learn again how to be offended and ignore it...or at least voice their own opinion against it but not ban the offensive speech.

Screw that, I'll wear whatever I want, free speech and GTFO.

Maybe you will, but what you "want" is likely already polite to a certain gentle audience. The salient question here is what you, MG, have done in the past when you have offended somebody that you care about (and that part is important).

Not really. Ok I'll play along: Last month I was declined from renting housing because I wasn't the same ethnicity/race as the owners.

Btw, it's also "microagression" for you to assume I've never had to deal with "micro-aggression" because I'm a male, and you probably assume myself and people like Bonam are white. Stop being so sexist and racist! B)

How do you know it was because you weren't the same ethnicity? Did they say as much to you? Anyway, I'd consider that racist and illegal, not a micro-aggression.

Admittedly, I'm a little fuzzy on the whole micro-aggression thing myself but to me it sounds as if it refers to statements made based on assumptions or stereotypes of whatever ethnicity someone happens to be.

Assuming an Asian person will be good with electronics: "Hey, buddy, can you fix this for me? You guys know all about this stuff, right?"

Assuming someone not white is going to have an accent: "You speak English really well."

Assuming a South Asian person is going to love curry: "My wife made this last night, it's too strong for me - but you guys eat this all the time, right?"

Whether or not this is a valid reason to press charges is debatable, in my opinion, but I can imagine the Asian guy who is constantly asked to fix electronics because he's Asian would get sick of it, and a second generation Middle Eastern person could resent having it generally assumed

he/she was ESL, and maybe not all South Asians like curry just because they're from India.

Anyway, my life is full of those little micro-aggressions, because I'm white, fourth generation Canadian and I'm chock-full of assumptions about people from other cultures, even when I don't think I am. So far, though, if I've offended or annoyed anyone, they've politely ignored my ignorance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds like complete nonsense, and certainly has nothing to do with microaggressions. (I gather this is now the catch-all "Complain about all things PC" thread?)

The idea that college students' virgin ears must be protected from coarse language is hilarious yet shameful.

Imagine trying to teach a literature or film course without exposing students to coarse language. Imagine trying to teach an art course without exposing students to sexual material.

I guess it could be done, but it would be kind of like teaching a math course where students only get to use odd numbers.

-k

How is this a "micro-aggression"?

The definition of microagression has never been explained, so let me show you how it works Squid. If a leftie is pissed at something it's a microagression. If it's anyone else who is pissed, that's racism. Easy peasy.

The definition of microagression has never been explained, so let me show you how it works Squid. If a leftie is pissed at something it's a microagression. If it's anyone else who is pissed, that's racism. Easy peasy.

That's nonsensical and brainless sloganeering.

I'm not sure how it's a microaggression either. As I gather a microaggression is when someone doesn't intend to be patronizing to an identifiable group but does so anyway.

But this does speak to this whole University as a "Safe" environment for students where kids can't be exposed to anything that may offended them or make them feel bad. Which of course doesn't prepare them for the real world in any way, shape or form.

Edited by Boges