Microaggressions

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You never heard of Hitler's youth?

Named after famous teen heartthrob Adolph Hitler.

Kids are being indoctrinated with a certain set of ideas. And the neoprogressives doing the indoctrination think it is justified. I saw it first hand because I'm a millennial that went to school in large urban areas, but from what I can tell it is getting worse.

I would argue that,as a millennial, you don't have the life experience and perspective to understand how people's views naturally change and evolve over time. And I think your use of the term "indoctrination" proves that.

I would argue that,as a millennial, you don't have the life experience and perspective to understand how people's views naturally change and evolve over time. And I think your use of the term "indoctrination" proves that.

I'm sure that's what the older generations in Germany told themselves.

The older generation of Germans were the people who brought the Nazis to power. Do you even history bro?

Not all of them. Some thought it wasn't a big deal and dismissed the problem, some of them did the indoctrination, etc.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

Not all of them. Some thought it wasn't a big deal and dismissed the problem, some of did the indoctrination, etc.

#notallgermans

While Hitler's message resonated with a lot of young people who were dealing with chronic unemployment and instability in the post WWI period, widespread indoctrination wasn't a thing that happened until after the Nazis consolidated their grip on power.

But history lesson aside, let's not miss out on a chance to again observe that you're comparing SJWs with Nazis, when they aren't much different from the campus radicals of the '60s or the identity politics set from the early '90s. Oh but I'm sure this time it's different!

until after the Nazis consolidated their grip on power.

And who has the grip on power today?

let's not miss out on a chance to again observe that you're comparing SJWs with Nazis

That's not how the conversation went. You dismissed the SJW beliefs of young people as something they will grow out of soon enough, I gave you a counter example, and now you are complaining about my counter example. You turned the conversation into this direction, not me.

And who has the grip on power today?

Old white dudes, same as always.

That's not how the conversation went. You dismissed the SJW beliefs of young people as something they will grow out of soon enough, I gave you a counter example, and now you are complaining about my counter example. You turned the conversation into this direction, not me.

Your counter example was hot garbage and completely inaccurate. A better one would have been the Red Guards of Mao's Cultural Revolution, but even that is another example of the state actively radicalizing youth, not the other way around, which is your claim here. Not to mention the fact that the social, cultural and political milieus we're talking about are poles apart from our society today.

Edited by Black Dog

Your counter example was hot garbage and completely inaccurate. A better one would have been the Red Guards of Mao's Cultural Revolution, but even that is another example of the state actively radicalizing youth, not the other way around, which is your claim here. Not to mention the fact that the social, cultural and political milieus we're talking about are poles apart from our society today.

It's the same misunderstanding of power dynamics over and over again here. How on earth anyone could argue that teenagers are some sort of power elite that guide social policy, especially since it's controlled by political and legal institutions, is absolutely beyond me.

"Where are you from?" Carries historical baggage from the early development of racial theory. It's racist because it implies that people of colour aren't from here but must be from somewhere else. It reinforces a social order where people of colour are never fully accepted as part of our society. People here want to conflate asking a new colleague who just moved to your city where they're from and asking someone where they're from because they look Asian. These are not the same things at all and it's the latter we're talking about when we say that asking "where are you from" is a microaggression and carries racist baggage.

This happens to me all the time. I just name the neighbourhood where I grew up and people laugh and say, no I mean your ethnicity. Then why didn't they just ask that instead of 'where are you from'? It is very racist, I agree.

I also had a doctor tell me condescendingly how things are done in Canada. Another one insinuated that a concern of mine is just cultural.

People can be very ignorant without even realizing it.

This happens to me all the time. I just name the neighbourhood where I grew up and people laugh and say, no I mean your ethnicity. Then why didn't they just ask that instead of 'where are you from'? It is very racist, I agree.

I also had a doctor tell me condescendingly how things are done in Canada. Another one insinuated that a concern of mine is just cultural.

People can be very ignorant without even realizing it.

Ethnicity and Race are two very different things.

Not when you look at the history of race theory. They're very related. In fact, ethnicity and nationality probably have more to do with race than biology.

They may be related when you're talk about very homogenous societies. Africa, Asia, parts of Latin America.

But If we are supposed to truly live in a multicultural society then we owe it to ourselves to learn from other cultures and nationalities. To just pretend they don't exist by not being allowed to ask and learn from others is quite counterproductive to a more open society.

I had a unique experience this Thanksgiving. I had three separate meals from three separate families with 3 different customs, food and ways of experiencing family time. It was quite enlightening and educational. If we should be accepting other cultures, we should be recognizing differences exist.

Edited by Boges

They may be related when you're talk about very homogenous societies. Africa, Asia, parts of Latin America.

---SNIP---

As CC's post indicated, the underlying notion is that I can never shed my newcomer status because of the colour of my skin. I gave two other examples where people talk to me as though I'm a newly arrived immigrant with no knowledge of Canadian life even though this is the only country I have ever known.

So consider this - my SO and I had similar backgrounds where we born somewhere else and came to Canada in elementary school. We grew up in the same suburban neighbourhood, we had the same group of friends, but as a white person speaking unaccented English, his background is irrelevant whereas the same is not true for me.

I completely agree that these things are innocent and subtle (micro-aggressions), but they are examples of things that make us visible minorities feel, even just for that one fleeting moment, that we will never truly be considered real Canadians.

Edited by Charles Anthony
[---SNIP---]

As CC's post indicated, the underlying notion is that I can never shed my newcomer status because of the colour of my skin. I gave two other examples where people talk to me as though I'm a newly arrived immigrant with no knowledge of Canadian life even though this is the only country I have ever known.

---SNIP---

Without context to your examples, How can I comment on the examples you've given. Of course it seems to ask for context is also a mirroraggression. :unsure:

What of a white person with a distinguished accent and a visible minority without an accent? Who's more likely to be asked of their heritage then?

My parents are white immigrants that have obvious accents. My GF is a visual minority who was born in another country but has no accent (or at least an accent one would expect growing up where she has). Is inquiring about a heritage more offensive if they aren't white?

I really do believe people are looking for things to be offended about. Perhaps the person asking is just looking to understand that person's cultural heritage and not being aggressive at all.

Edited by Charles Anthony
[---SNIP---]

I know it's not malicious, I said so as well. If you read the wiki article posted earlier, these things are subtle things that people do innocently enough but they don't realize the repercussions of their wording. A good example in the article was what Joe Biden said about President Obama which I'm sure he meant as a compliment, but without realizing it there were hurtful racial innuendos in what he was saying.

Asking about someone's heritage is not offensive and I don't mind at all, but asking 'where are you from?' is one of those innocent questions which stings because it carries baggage. It implies that I'm from somewhere else even though this is the only country I've ever known.

As for the other two examples, one is personal but the other one was when I took my daughter to the doctor over something and he went on and on about viruses in Canada. Remember, these are not hurtful or malicious things and I know he was the nicest guy who meant very well, but if my husband had taken my daughter to the doctor, do you think the doctor would be talking about "Canadian" viruses? Would he talk to you like that?

These are the subtle things people say that they don't realize make others feel excluded.

Feeling included and actually being excluded are two different things. You can't assume the intent of someone by asking about someone's heritage.

I actually don't do it because it's irrelevant. When someone has an accent, it's obvious they are from elsewhere and when someone isn't white it's obvious they come from a different heritage. But I fully recognize cultural difference and when they don't contradict Canadian values, I embrace them.

Feeling included and actually being excluded are two different things. You can't assume the intent of someone by asking about someone's heritage.

I've said this several times now, but I'll say it one more time - I know there is no bad intent.

That's actually the theory behind micro-aggressions. The intent is never malicious but the racial subtleties are there nonetheless.

....I actually don't do it because it's irrelevant. When someone has an accent, it's obvious they are from elsewhere and when someone isn't white it's obvious they come from a different heritage. But I fully recognize cultural difference and when they don't contradict Canadian values, I embrace them.

My response to this oft repeated question from the "visible majority" is to ask them where they are "from".

That's actually the theory behind micro-aggressions. The intent is never malicious but the racial subtleties are there nonetheless.

Then it's just looking for controversy when none should exist.

I know that person isn't racist but let's devise a worldview where we can accuse them of being "kinda racist" anyway.