Immigration

Our immigration rate per capita has been roughly the same for quite some time. Harper has just made it harder to reunite families. However, our acceptance of refugees is down 30% under Harper. We are doing less than we used to.

I believe migrant workers must get the same minimum hourly wage, but there are no limits to hours worked and no requirement to pay overtime. Thus, it's cheaper to hire migrants than Canadians for the same job...even if Canadians would do the work for minimum wage.

Additionally, we also deduct EI premiums from migrants despite the fact that they can never use it.

So what of the other sources that were produced by other posters here that are higher than those numbers by previous liberal governments, if they are true how can Harper being doing less....

I thought hours here in Canada were only limited to part time positions, that anyone could work as long or as hard as they wished as long as the company had the work available.....I've tried to find a source about the overtime, but can not....as over time policies varies from company to company...

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Additionally, we also deduct EI premiums from migrants despite the fact that they can never use it.

Any one that works in Canada pays EI, those that also pay into a pension can not collect EI, unless they work once again in a job with no pension then they can apply for EI.....

Yet refugee acceptance is down 30%.

I haven't been following refugees on a day to day basis but at one point we were accepting almost anything that showed up here, with whatever ridiculous claim they made. The Tories have tightened up on the process. Good for them. Most of the refugees who get here have already passed through numerous safe countries to get here, clearly indicating they're not after safety but economic improvement. Others originate in countries like Poland and Hungary and the US and other places where we do not accept refugees from.

Why do you support war on humanitarian grounds but not helping the people displaced by it?

Who said I support war on humanitarian grounds? And who said these people were displaced by it? They were displaced by war, maybe, but it's not a war we started.

The coalition has been bombing Syrian targets for over a year and Canada has been bombing for over 4 months. I assumed that you would have known that.

The 'coalition" only started bombing ISIS targets in Syria in support of a Kurdish town on the border which faced annihilation. The Syrian civil war started in the spring of 2011. The 'coalition' didn't start bombing around the northern town until September of 2014. These facts are easily verified. The civil war in Syria was bubbling along for three and a half years before the US started bombing ISIS.

Especially in light of the current situation.

What does the current 'situation' have to do with our immigration system? I thought our immigration system was there to help us to avoid labour shortages and an aging population? Are you saying it's just a big ol refugee intake system to help the world?

I blame Canada's staunchest allies for stopping the Arab Spring when they strangled democracy in its infancy in Iran 1953.

There is virtually no chance that Iran's 'democracy' would have lasted more than another couple of years. To think otherwise is ludicrous. The mentality in that part of the world is not given to the compromises necessary to sustain democracy.

There is virtually no chance that Iran's 'democracy' would have lasted more than another couple of years. To think otherwise is ludicrous.

There is zero evidence democracy would not have succeeded or spread if left alone. To claim otherwise is ludicrous. Meanwhile the fact remains that the attempt to establish democracy was stopped in it's tracks - to keep it from spreading apparently - in an act of venal geopolitical vandalism that will forever live in infamy.

The mentality in that part of the world is not given to the compromises necessary to sustain democracy.

The mentality behind your claim is exactly what our allies presumed to take. You can probably take heart that it's still alive and well today.

What does the current 'situation' have to do with our immigration system? I thought our immigration system was there to help us to avoid labour shortages and an aging population? Are you saying it's just a big ol refugee intake system to help the world?

Maybe you should start by looking up the difference between an immigrant and a refugee and then bet back to us.

So what of the other sources that were produced by other posters here that are higher than those numbers by previous liberal governments, if they are true how can Harper being doing less....

I thought hours here in Canada were only limited to part time positions, that anyone could work as long or as hard as they wished as long as the company had the work available.....I've tried to find a source about the overtime, but can not....as over time policies varies from company to company...

On a percentage basis immigration, since the mid 90's immigration has always been roughly 0.7 - 0.8% of the population.

OT rules are specific to the provinces but in Ontario, hours worked over 44 per day on a weekly basis should be paid at 1.5 times the hourly rate. http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/pubs/guide/overtime.php Migrant workers don't get that pay. Also, migrant workers can never collect EI because they are not residents, thus deducting it isn't right.

Why is it that we interfere in Middle Eastern affairs but ignore other genocide and human rights violations around the world? The faster we can replace fossil fuels with renewables, the sooner we can avoid the collateral damage of our addiction. Green energy solves so many problems (health, environment, economic, foreign affairs, etc.) all at once.

Sounds great except how do you expect to pay for hydro? It will become astronomically expensive. Plus no more jet fuel so no more jets either. No more shipping either since no more cargo ships. No more trains either. Yes worldwide economic collapse. Thats your genius plan?

Edited by Canada_First

Sounds great except how do you expect to pay for hydro? It will become astronomically expensive. Plus no more jet fuel so no more jets either. No more shipping either since no more cargo ships. No more trains either. Yes worldwide economic collapse. Thats your genius plan?

Hydro is a green energy. It's probably what is powering your computer right now.

Worldwide, the cost of meeting increased power demand between now and 2040 via our current mix of sources vs. all renewable sources is almost identical. Also, oil use doesn't have to and will never disappear completely. If vehicles were to be primarily powered by electricity the world would be well oversupplied with oil reserves.

Worldwide, the cost of meeting increased power demand between now and 2040 via our current mix of sources vs. all renewable sources is almost identical. Also, oil use doesn't have to and will never disappear completely. If vehicles were to be primarily powered by electricity the world would be well oversupplied with oil reserves.

Oh ok. I do agree that more diverse fuel needs to be accelerated. It's happening but far too slowly for my liking. I do have right wing tendencies but am a great supporter of the environment.

Canada had nothing to do with the instability there. That can be laid at the doorstep of the local combatants.

Perhaps you have missed the part where Canada participated in turning Libya into a lawless shit hole. Now they're bombing Iraq and Syria. The same Iraq that didn't have ISIS before U.S. invaded it. Now, Canada is flying around dropping million dollar bombs and doing nothing to stop ISIS. They're just turning both Iraq and Syria into a bigger shit hole.

So yes, Canada is one of the reasons there is instability in those countries and we, because of our government, are obligated to help the people whose lives we have effected.

Edited by marcus

when I say hydro I mean household electricity. I'm old so I still call it hydro. Hehe.

I agree, but that depends who you ask.

Hydro is specifically electricity generated from water currents. It can be a green energy, but then there's criticism of damming water systems and the ecological damage that causes.

Edit: I should also add that most Canadians call electricity "hydro" regardless of the source.

Edited by cybercoma

So I assume those bombs we are now dropping on Syria and Iraq, the bombs we dropped on Libya and our participation in Afghanistan had nothing to do with it? There were no local combatants until we got involved.

Do you believe civil wars can't be vicious and drawn out and can't produce refugees? The west's intervention in Libya ended that struggle without the kind of long, drawn out bloody fighting we're seeing in Syria. It's true the locals then failed to reach any sort of agreement on government and disarming, but that's hardly our fault. Afghanistan was a violent mess for decades before we got there. And Syria's war is being fought largely without western intervention, other than occasional bombing forays against ISIS, and that only because of ISIS invading Iraq.