Westcoast bridge - a coloured rainbow

Why not other interest groups that represent a much broader segment of the population?

I agree, maybe we should paint it purple and give it big googly eyes and a tail like Barney the dinosaur. Kids would love it.

A rainbow bridge... really? Good grief. I thought the Chinese finger trap bridge across the Bow River in Calgary was a goofy idea.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FFS - really!

We accept homos - fair enough, everybody knows it. Why would we have to do this? And, let me guess, if any politician says no, they'll have the wrath of the gays thrust upon them.

Even if it wasn't in honor of our queer friends, rainbow colors are just ugly.

I have no issue with gays, I've said it before, but man, it's gotta stop somewhere. How about flag s or colors of all nations welcoming people to Canada? How about FN colors or designs? I know there would lots of opposition for paining it red and white (y'know Canada's colors), but good grief, there has to something better than rainbow.

I can't wait for all the nicknames for the bridge to start rolling in.

It's Actually a flag that will be draped over the bridge. And it will be displayed during pride week in Vancouver. Pride week includes a parade with over 600,000 individuals watching the parade. As you can see the city of Vancouver has lots of support towards the lgbt community.

And honestly do some posters really need to use the term homo? Incredible that people still use that word.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

It's Actually a flag that will be draped over the bridge. And it will be displayed during pride week in Vancouver. Pride week includes a parade with over 600,000 individuals watching the parade. As you can see the city of Vancouver has lots of support towards the lgbt community.

And honestly do some posters really need to use the term homo? Incredible that people still use that word.

It's pretty ironic that the people who don't understand the need for parades and awareness campaigns are the ones who demonstrate the need the most.

It's pretty ironic that the people who don't understand the need for parades and awareness campaigns are the ones who demonstrate the need the most.

You are right. If you read between the lines you can see the contempt for the LGBT community. I would suggest to them that they come visit Vancouver during pride week and observe the families lined up 6 deep to watch the parade and celebrate in the festivities. The number of people watching the parade actually outnumbers the population of Vancouver city.

There's nothing wrong with the term "homo", it's short for homosexual just as "hetero" is short for heterosexual.

You really need to educate yourself on the gay community. Using homosexual is like using coloured or a cripple. Im not holding this against you. Many seniors use coloured still because they are not aware that this word is no longer used.

Please tell me that this is so in your case. Otherwise I will assume that you are anti gay.

Homosexual isn't a negative term. That's absurd.

The decline and fall of the 'H' word

"Please use gay or lesbian to describe people attracted to members of the same sex. Because of the clinical history of the word "homosexual," it is aggressively used by anti-gay extremists to suggest that gay people are somehow diseased or psychologically/emotionally disordered – notions discredited by the American Psychological Association and the American Psychiatric Association in the 1970s. Please avoid using "homosexual" except in direct quotes. Please also avoid using "homosexual" as a style variation simply to avoid repeated use of the word "gay." The Associated Press, The New York Times and The Washington Post restrict use of the term "homosexual" http://www.glaad.org/reference/offensive

It's absurd to you because you don't get it.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

No argument there but my point was different. Why do we have any art anywhere in cities? We see statues and other kinds of art in pretty much every major city around the world.

Why do we bother when we could spend every single dime in infrastructure? For the same reason people pick up a piece of decoration when their house could use something of function.

Because beautifying a city (or home) also serves a purpsose.

Unfortunately the underlying infrastructure needs more attention than these issues. These are the roads, bridges, and tunnels we drive on every day. Making sure that is up to code helps us all no matter what colour of the rainbow we are.

Unfortunately the underlying infrastructure needs more attention than these issues. These are the roads, bridges, and tunnels we drive on every day. Making sure that is up to code helps us all no matter what colour of the rainbow we are.

It's a flag, not paint. Just to reiterate.

It's a flag, not paint. Just to reiterate.

Yes, thanks for finally clarifying your OP 2 pages into the discussion. In the absence of a link, it is unfortunate you could not articulate your original post in such a way that would avoid confusion or deception. Got the discussion going though, didn't it.

I'm fine with a flag temporarily being draped over the bridge. Nothing against that.

The decline and fall of the 'H' word

"Please use gay or lesbian to describe people attracted to members of the same sex. Because of the clinical history of the word "homosexual," it is aggressively used by anti-gay extremists to suggest that gay people are somehow diseased or psychologically/emotionally disordered notions discredited by the American Psychological Association and the American Psychiatric Association in the 1970s. Please avoid using "homosexual" except in direct quotes. Please also avoid using "homosexual" as a style variation simply to avoid repeated use of the word "gay." The Associated Press, The New York Times and The Washington Post restrict use of the term "homosexual" http://www.glaad.org/reference/offensive

It's absurd to you because you don't get it.

You're partner is a man, so WCR, do you consider yourself a heterosexual? If not...or if yes, please explain.

I'm pretty sure the cost of painting a bridge pales in comparison to upgrading our transit system. Do you live in this community? Just curious?

It's Actually a flag that will be draped over the bridge.

So....just out of curiosity, were you being willingly deceptive to stir the pot or were you just ignorant of the facts of your own topic?

From someone who whines and complains so much about trolling around here you seem to have some skills yourself.