Westcoast bridge - a coloured rainbow

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really need to educate yourself on the gay community. Using homosexual is like using coloured or a cripple. Im not holding this against you. Many seniors use coloured still because they are not aware that this word is no longer used.

Please tell me that this is so in your case. Otherwise I will assume that you are anti gay.

Yet you were ok with the term "retarded"?

The politically correct population scare me. Lets fight for the window dressing when that war was already won. Who cares about bigger picture issues?

Honestly I think a rainbow bridge would be ugly and tacky. Plant your flag for the victory parades and move on.

The rainbow is an advertising symbol for the gay community. If the private or public owners of the bridge decide that they want to allow the use of that bridge for advertising then they will bass a by-law and tender out that "billboard" space for advertisers. If the gay community offers the highest price for that space then they should get the contract and paint what they like - satisfying the existing by-laws of the community.

Regardless of how much they are offered, whoever owns the city's bridges and buildings should be shot if they ever let them become great lumps of graffiti in the middle of one of the most scenic harbours in the world.

Street art is the last great expression of counter culture, but even its been co-opted by the culture it opposes. http://animalnewyork.com/2015/oxygen-networks-new-street-art-show-fucking-terrible-theres-no-reason-ever-watch/

Graffiti is important for society.

Street art is the last great expression of counter culture, but even its been co-opted by the culture it opposes. http://animalnewyork.com/2015/oxygen-networks-new-street-art-show-fucking-terrible-theres-no-reason-ever-watch/

What is being proposed here is not street art. Street art is what you see in places like old Valparaiso.

How is gang tagging important for society? How is Thug Life important for society?

I was once fined ten pounds for writing BCFC on the wall of a toilet at Chester football ground in the UK.

Sigh. I wonder what it's worth now.

Edited by bcsapper

That would be a great way to take the nicest bridge in the city and make it ugly.

Edit: But a temporary flag is no big deal. The OP sure messed up this topic...

Edited by The_Squid

The people get to decide, it's their bridge. If Vancouver decides to do this it might be looked at as inclusive but it will also be looked on as having really bad taste.

So we're going to decide what's good art by "democratic committee"? That kills any and all subversive art that challenges the status quo and has throughout history been the voice of marginalized people.