Westcoast bridge - a coloured rainbow

So Hal. Over 700,000 watched the gay pride parade today. Who exactly is speaking out against these parades and who is being turned off? 700,00 is larger then the population of the city of Vancouver. Your neighbours were probably there.

Lets be clear on a few things;

1) 700,000 people - really! That's 12x the size of BC Place's capacity and nearly what Time Square brings in on New Years eve. Woodstock had only 400,000 people, are we to believe that the gay pride parade was nearly twice the size of Woodstock. Ive seen the pictures and footage - no way!

2) It's being taken over by the corporate world. The pride parade is the place to be for corporate advertising.

3) It's become hyper political. It is no longer just LBGTQ2+, it's becoming a political venue for every group left of centre. Photo ops were on every politicians list...Except, the pride group are now infighting about who should and shouldn't be allowed to plug their cause.

4) This was the most conservative (forgive the C word) Pride parade as far as dress and behaviour that I've seen in a long while - maybe ever. Sure some of the freaks showed up, but by in large, the crowd was dressed reasonably normal, had their rally and all was fine. If not for all the rainbow, it could've been mistaken for any other parade or even Mardi Gras.

5) All of the above falls in line with my previous posts. The gay pride parade needs to change in order to succeed - I think we're seeing that now.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets be clear on a few things;

1) 700,000 people - really! That's 12x the size of BC Place's capacity and nearly what Time Square brings in on New Years eve. Woodstock had only 400,000 people, are we to believe that the gay pride parade was nearly twice the size of Woodstock. Ive seen the pictures and footage - no way!

2) It's being taken over by the corporate world. The pride parade is the place to be for corporate advertising.

3) It's become hyper political. It is no longer just LBGTQ2+, it's becoming a political venue for every group left of centre. Photo ops were on every politicians list...Except, the pride group are now infighting about who should and shouldn't be allowed to plug their cause.

4) This was the most conservative (forgive the C word) Pride parade as far as dress and behaviour that I've seen in a long while - maybe ever. Sure some of the freaks showed up, but by in large, the crowd was dressed reasonably normal, had their rally and all was fine. If not for all the rainbow, it could've been mistaken for any other parade or even Mardi Gras.

5) All of the above falls in line with my previous posts. The gay pride parade needs to change in order to succeed - I think we're seeing that now.

Yes indeed 700,000 people! That's an increase of at least 50,000 over last year. I'm sure some of your neighbours were there too!! And since when do politicians not appear at a gay parade. Except maybe rob ford.

And why does it need to change to succeed. It's wildly successful. It's the fourth largest gay parade in the world. What is it that you are against?

Edited by WestCoastRunner

Yes indeed 700,000 people! That's an increase of at least 50,000 over last year. I'm sure some of your neighbours were there too!! And since when do politicians not appear at a gay parade. Except maybe rob ford.

It was a success - great! As far as 700,000 people - no chance, the numbers just don't add up - unless they are taking the entire population of the area into consideration.

The revenue brought in to local restaurants, hotels and retailers - not to mention the clean-up, the consumables,the bathroom situations etc. No way was there 700,000 on the streets of Vancouver for that parade. Added revenue to the city over the entire weekend was merely about $20 million. You can believe CBC all you want, but the numbers tell the truth.

It was a success - great! As far as 700,000 people - no chance, the numbers just don't add up - unless they are taking the entire population of the area into consideration.

The revenue brought in to local restaurants, hotels and retailers - not to mention the clean-up, the consumables,the bathroom situations etc. No way was there 700,000 on the streets of Vancouver for that parade. Added revenue to the city over the entire weekend was merely about $20 million. You can believe CBC all you want, but the numbers tell the truth.

Ok provide a cite So you agree it was a success? What exactly is your problem with this parade? I just don't get your abhorrence to the parade? Edited by WestCoastRunner

Ok provide a cite So you agree it was a success? What exactly is your problem with this parade? I just don't get your abhorrence to the parade?

In Toronto last year they claimed that the parade attracted 1.2 million people and generated $135 million. By comparison, Vancouver's supposed 700,000 generated only $20 million. If attendance is what is reported, Vancouver should be reporting nearly $100 million of new revenue.

In Toronto last year they claimed that the parade attracted 1.2 million people and generated $135 million. By comparison, Vancouver's supposed 700,000 generated only $20 million. If attendance is what is reported, Vancouver should be reporting nearly $100 million of new revenue.

So you don't have a cite. Correct?

I'm not accusing you of anything. However you seem to attack this parade from all angles and I don't understand why. Do you see any benefit at all from this parade or would you rather it just go away?

I said a number of times that it needed to change, become more mainstream, take the high road, see the equality rather than claim victimhood, be more about lifestyles than sex etc etc. And, they seem to have figured that out too - somewhat.

As far as benefits, I'm not sure what those would be outside of monetary benefits. They'll soon remove the hardliners and be taken over by corporations anyway.

I've found 2 cites, one that reports $4 million, and one reporting 23$ million. I'm a little hurt that you don't believe me though.

"Toronto’s main events of the year attracting more than 1.2-million visitors and earning the city over $135-million in revenue."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-pride-parade-draws-politicians-and-spectators-to-city-s-west-end-1.3177101

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Pride+party+draws+hundreds+thousands+downtown+Vancouver/11261874/story.html

I said a number of times that it needed to change, become more mainstream, take the high road, see the equality rather than claim victimhood, be more about lifestyles than sex etc etc. And, they seem to have figured that out too - somewhat.

As far as benefits, I'm not sure what those would be outside of monetary benefits. They'll soon remove the hardliners and be taken over by corporations anyway.

You don't seem to understand that gay rights are not recognized all over the world. Gays are murdered for just being 'gay'. This parade seeks to draw attention to this. You may think that gays have attained equal rights but that is surely not the case. The sooner folks like you stand up for their rights the sooner equality will be achieved.

Thank heavens you don't have a gay son or daughter.

You don't seem to understand that gay rights are not recognized all over the world. Gays are murdered for just being 'gay'. This parade seeks to draw attention to this. You may think that gays have attained equal rights but that is surely not the case. The sooner folks like you stand up for their rights the sooner equality will be achieved.

So, you are accusing me of being against the gays!

In some parts of the world, men are killed just for being men, babies for being babies (in fact that happens here too), women are stoned to death for having sex, whites and blacks and jews are being killed for what they just happen to be too. And Christians are killed for simply being Christian. Since when do you care about these issues?

In some parts of the world, men are killed just for being men, babies for being babies (in fact that happens here too), women are stoned to death for having sex, whites and blacks and jews are being killed for what they just happen to be too. And Christians are killed for simply being Christian. Since when do you care about these issues?

Since when? What a silly question

There is no high road. Gays are murdered everyday and live in terror and fear all over the world. If a gay parade in Vancouver can draw attention to this why would you be insisting they become mainstream. They can't become mainstream until their sisters and brothers are safe to live their life in peace.

Btw. My son is gay.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

Out of the gutter tells me all I need to know

It should! It should tell you that I believe people get farther taking the high road than being antagonistic - as has been the case in the past. Clearly, I'm not the only one who felt this way.

Why are you always trying to pick a fight with me, I thought we were friends?

It should! It should tell you that I believe people get farther taking the high road than being antagonistic - as has been the case in the past. Clearly, I'm not the only one who felt this way.

Your posts have done absolutely nothing to promote equal rights for the LGBT all over the world.