Westcoast bridge - a coloured rainbow

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much is that going to cost and why is it necessary? I think it should be painted pink to support breast cancer.

Oh please. Heart disease is the leading cause of death for women. Breast cancer is just a sexy organization to attract funds.

Why would you throw out a conflict between the lgbt community and cancer anyway?

I'd rather they set the equivalent amount of money it would take to do this aside for other infrastructure repairs/improvements that would actually improve the functionality or longevity of said infrastructure. Fix a few potholes or something. Add some left turn bays. Whatever.

Function over symbolism, please.

I'd rather they set the equivalent amount of money it would take to do this aside for other infrastructure repairs/improvements that would actually improve the functionality or longevity of said infrastructure. Fix a few potholes or something. Add some left turn bays. Whatever.

Vancouver is a very progressive community when it comes to supporting the lgbt community. And it sets a great example for countries around the world. Kudos to them. Edited by WestCoastRunner

Vancouver is a very progressive community when it comes to supporting the lgbt community. And it sets a great example for countries around the world. Kudos to them.

Great, so they already have plenty of support in Vancouver, it's a very progressive city. Time to spend money on some things that are more practical rather than symbolic. I hear Vancouver is considering raising taxes to fund further transit infrastructure. Maybe put it towards that instead.

Great, so they already have plenty of support in Vancouver, it's a very progressive city. Time to spend money on some things that are more practical rather than symbolic. I hear Vancouver is considering raising taxes to fund further transit infrastructure. Maybe put it towards that instead.

You should read up on our local politics. Taxes proposed are on a referendum vote as we speak. Don't confuse the two. It's silly.

Why raise taxes to fund transit when you can simply redirect funding from fluff projects to ones that have a real effect? Mismanagement of money by translink is a big issue, so I hear. Maybe not wasting it on fancy paint jobs for bridges would be a good start.

Why raise taxes to fund transit when you can simply redirect funding from fluff projects to ones that have a real effect? Mismanagement of money by translink is a big issue, so I hear. Maybe not wasting it on fancy paint jobs for bridges would be a good start.

I'm pretty sure the cost of painting a bridge pales in comparison to upgrading our transit system. Do you live in this community? Just curious?

I'm pretty sure the cost of painting a bridge pales in comparison to upgrading our transit system. Do you live in this community? Just curious?

Not any more, but I spent most of my life in Vancouver. Of course one paint job is a small cost compared to a major upgrade, but all the small costs add up. Overpaying the CEO, paying two CEOs at the same time, mishandling this, mishandling that, service outtages on skytrain, etc etc are all small individual costs. They add up. Cut out the fluff, both small and large. You really think people would willingly agree to give more money to an agency that goes around doing fancy paint jobs instead of holding the money in reserve for something important? Maybe if translink was seen to spend money more wisely, then more people might have actually voted yes in the referendum.

Edited by Bonam

Vancouver is a very progressive community when it comes to supporting the lgbt community. And it sets a great example for countries around the world. Kudos to

Painting a bridge? Spend the money on the food banks, the homeless shelters, anything. I suppose there's always more of someone else's money to spend.

Oh please. Heart disease is the leading cause of death for women. Breast cancer is just a sexy organization to attract funds.

Why would you throw out a conflict between the lgbt community and cancer anyway?

Because cancer effects everyone. And the original idea is a complete waste of money targeting 1% of the population in a meaningless symbolic gesture. No wonder you think it's such a grand idea.

It's like buying a meaningful piece of art for your home. It serves a purpose even you really want a new coffee maker.

Not many can agree on art. MOST of us can agree on coffee.

No argument there but my point was different. Why do we have any art anywhere in cities? We see statues and other kinds of art in pretty much every major city around the world.

Why do we bother when we could spend every single dime in infrastructure? For the same reason people pick up a piece of decoration when their house could use something of function.

Because beautifying a city (or home) also serves a purpsose.

I suspect the bridge has to be periodically repainted so the net cost is likely less than the nominal cost.

The bridge would also be unique and raise Vancouver's profile with tourists.

The rainbow colours are very generic and could be visually appealing even if there was no symbolism.

There are bigger issues to protest such as the plan to remove a car lane from the bridge.

Edited by TimG

So why does the LGBT community get to lay claim on this bridge, paid for by tax payers? Why not other interest groups that represent a much broader segment of the population?

This moment history is about LGBT inclusion and Vancouver is just making a statement that we are past it.

Maybe in a decade or two we can erect a huge a Islamic crescent. :D